Farewell To Butch

Houndmom

Guest Sniffy
Oh NO!!! Marina! I'm so so so sorry. Butch was my first "GUR" it was the first time I got to see someone meeting their dog for the first time. He is a special boy in my heart forever. :cry1

God Speed Butch.

:gh_run

Me too ! Butch was my first GUR and I was so honored to take him on the last leg of his journey to Marina, meeting her parents and discussing her name (I had a few schoolmates in Miami named Marina). That was the first time I met you too Jenn.

----warning---lengthy story to follow------

I've told this story before, but I hope it's appropriate to repeat--how I met Butch. There was a great GUR thread going on GT and I was lucky enough to be chosen to take Butch from Connecticut to NH on the last leg of his journey from Florida. Well hey, I'd myself moved from Florida to New England, why not show Butch the ropes on our way up?

Gassing up the car near my house (gosh, weren't the prices sooo much better back then?), the station had a box of milk bones for their customers' doggies. I took one for Butch. A little while later, I met another GTer just off I-84 in CT (sorry I forgot your name, if you're out there!) to pick up Butch. We both had a good laugh when I scratched his neck just behind his ear---he twisted his head almost 180 degrees in response (I guess the scritch felt good!).

I'd heard how the earlier legs of Butch's GUR involved other GTers' greys, and skin-kids riding with him, in mini-vans with DVD's playing, in SUV's and other nice new big vehicles. Here I was taking him on the final leg of his glorious GUR into my 1997 Honda Civic hatchback, sans air conditioning, on a 95F summer day! I figured he'd be fine, with the windows down and my travelling on highways the entire way. Butch must have been comfortable in the warm breeze, because he started snoozing right away. He was an older guy already when Marina took him in, so my wife and I imagined Butch as an old man who appreciated the old-school ride he was taking ("back in MY day....cars didn't have no fancy automatic transmission, air conditioning, power windows, FM radios, and picture-shows playing in the back seat...."). Or, maybe he hadn't gotten much sleep in the previous legs of the trip--after all, there were other greys, kids, and movies in those cars--who'd want to miss out on all that fun and companionship by sleeping!

After a few more minutes, I checked the rear view mirror. Hmmm. Where'd Butch go? The sheet on the back seat was blown loose by the breeze coming through the windows at highway-speed. The sheet was flapping around....a lot. Picture laundry hanging out to dry in a windstorm. Butch? I had my wife peer back and take a closer look while I concentrated on driving...either he'd slipped onto the floorboard or jumped over the back seat into the hatch area (or jumped out the window when we were at the toll booth? Oh no!).

DW felt around for him...."He's under the sheet!"....completely oblivious to the fact that it's covering his entire body and head, flapping noisily. Wow, that Butch can really sleep through anything....uh...I HOPE he's sleeping. Butch? He didn't move when DW shook him ever-so-slightly. BUTCH??!!!!

Flashing before my eyes, was a vision of pulling into the designated meet-up parking lot in NH, seeing Marina's eagerly smiling face, and my having to tell her "uhm Hi..Marina, right? HI there. Yeah.... Well ya see, it went like this..err.... Butch was kind of smothered by a sheet while riding in the back seat of my car....sorry! He *almost* made it here!" Luckily, DW gently lifted the sheet off his head and he was just fine...if not annoyed according to the stinkeye he gave her "are we there yet? No?!!? then why the He77 did you wake me up!" :angryfire:lol :lol

When we finally pulled into the parking lot, we expected to see Marina. Which we did, but we also saw her parents, Jenn, a few other friends and probably a couple additional GTers. They were just staring at us as we rolled toward them (after all, Butch didn't want to actually stand up and stick his head out the window...he was still sleeping!). So I flashed my lights at Marina and company....it's us! and the dog *is* in this small car, even if you can't see him!

It was so cool to see his new mommy give him a biiig hug. After a brief chat we left them to get acquainted, with the memory of this day that we will never forget. We backed out to hit the road back homeward when I realized I forgot something! a leash? Collar? no... Marina!....this milk bone is for Butch!

Marina, you did such a good thing taking in this very sweet (and FUNNY!! ) old fella. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with him. I know *I* did!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gonewtthewind1

I love Butch!! I did a leg on the GUR also. I believe that I picked him up from Heather here on GT (before she got married and only a hound or 2!!) I am so sorry for your loss. He was a great dog, and he was one in a million.

Becky

Butch was a very sweet boy. :heart I am glad I got the chance to meet him.

:grouphug

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Sweet boy Butch. I wish he could have stayed with you forever. I'm glad you found each other.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

All our sympathy. :f_red

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Marina: I'm so sorry for your loss. I see that I should be thanking Butch for my adopting Susie. If Butch was the reason that you stopped in to see the people at GPA/GO the winter of 2005. You then posted on greytalk about the bounced almost 14 year old, Susie. We then adopted Susie in March 2005, 3 weeks before her 14th birthday. Marina I can blame you and Butch for my now adopting only special needs dogs. Butch, look for Susie. She has a lot to thank you for.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Butch was my 1st senior adoption and I am so thankful that he came into my life. He was such a joy and will never be forgotten.

Jack.....thanks for posting that snippet about Butch's GUR. It was great to read, funny and I do remember that day very clearly.

Bill...I remember when you adopted Susie. They sure do bring happiness and comfort to our hearts don't they. I hope Butch and Susie are running happy and free now.

Hugs to all and many thanks!!!!

Marina

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire