The Greyhound Dictionary.

Guest marnie

Guest pinkymink

Again, adding to Paula...

YARD BROWNIES:  These are delectable treats that you provide yourself when you poop in your yard.  Especially delicious when served in winter.  

POOPCICLES:  Frozen YARD BROWNIES

SNAPPING:  biting at the air, the greyhound version of blowing kisses

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting them all together, Nice job everyone. This one is fun Marnie. :P

Greyhound Dictionary of Terms:

Courtesy of Users at www.greytalk.com

----------------------------------------------------------------

LEASH: A strap which attaches to your collar, enabling

you to lead your person where you want him/her to go.

DOG BED: any soft, clean surface, such as the white bedspread in the guest room or the newly upholstered

couch in the living room.

DROOL: Is what you do when your persons have food

and you don't. To do this properly you must sit as close

as you can and look sad and let the drool fall to the floor, or better yet, on their laps.

SNIFF: A social custom to use when you greet other

dogs. Place your nose as close as you can to the other

dog's rear end and inhale deeply, repeat several times, or until your person makes you stop.

GARBAGE CAN: A container which your neighbors put out

once a week to test your ingenuity. You must try to push the lid off with your nose. If you do it right you are

rewarded with margarine wrappers to shred, beef bones

to consume and crusts of bread.

DEAFNESS: This is a malady which affects dogs when

their persons want them to do something the dog

doesn't want to do. Symptoms include staring blankly at

the person, then running in the opposite direction, or

lying down.

THUNDER: This is a signal that the world is coming to an

end. Humans remain amazingly calm during thunder storms, so it is necessary to warn them of the danger by

trembling uncontrollably, panting, rolling your eyes

wildly, and following at their heels.

WASTEBASKET: This is a dog toy filled with paper,

envelopes, and old candy wrapper. When you get bored,

turn over the basket and strew the papers all over the house.

SOFAS: Are to dogs like napkins are to people. After

eating it is polite to rub up and down the front of the

sofa and wipe your whiskers clean.

BATH: This is a process by which the humans drench the

floor, walls and themselves. You can help by shaking

vigorously and frequently.

LEAN: Every good dog's response to the command "sit!",

especially if your person is dressed for an evening out.

Incredibly effective before black-tie events.

BUMP: The best way to get your human's attention when

they are drinking a fresh cup of coffee or tea.

GOOSE BUMP: A maneuver to use as a last resort when

the Regular Bump doesn't get the attention you require.....especially effective when combined with The Sniff. See above.

LOVE: Is a feeling of intense affection, given freely and

without restriction. The best way you can show your

love is to smile, wag tail and prance around with a goofy look on your face. If you're lucky, a human will

love you in return.

Roach

The world's most comfortable sleeping position.

Roo

The music of Greyhounds. Preferred with accompanyment of other Greyhounds or humans.

Velcro dog

The best kind of Greyhound--one that wants to be where you are when you are there, and as close as possible.

SNARF: The sneezey action that accompanies the toothy, curled-lip smiles your greyhound greets you with each morning

BUTTS UP - This is the position to get in when you want your human to play.

Burping: The only way to show your person your complete satisfaction with the meal they have provided.

DREMEL- Instrument humans use on our toenails, so we don't scream!

Chattering -- Teeth clicking to express happiness or

excitement

Happy Dance-- a prancing that is done when excited

The GROAN - letting your human know that they found that perfect place in your ear that so needed massaging, or an expression of satisfaction with getting the couch pillows arranged just perfectly for your nap.

NESTING - the greyhound art (or perhaps science) of prolonged fluffing and digging of bedding with paws and snout into a heap that resembles a pile of dirty laundry!

Statue- What you turn into when there's something you don't want to do (like going up the steps).

Nose Drip-A nervous reaction to just about anything that bothers you.Like that big bad candy wrapper you stepped on in the lawn.

Gas-Silent but deadly. (This really didn't need an explaination)

SCRITCHIES: body scratches, most especially those along the neck where the human's fingers are curled up like a spider's legs, vigorously working the muscles of the neck, and the flat handed palm against the side of the ear rubbing up and down until you groan with pleasure...this activity could go on for hours...

SNAGGLING: the fine art of nosing the trash can lid up or the lid off of the cat food container, thus enabling one to partake in things one knows the human finds unacceptable, especially snotty kleenex, tin foil, paper towels, and cat food (which contributes greatly to the SBD gas problem)...

YARD BROWNIES: These are delectable treats that you provide yourself when you poop in your yard. Especially delicious when served in winter. For reasons unknown to us dogs, humans find this treat repulsive. Do not let this deter you. It can be very amusing to hear your human screaming from the back door for you to stop. If you're lucky, you might even get them to run outside in their pajamas to pick up the offending treat.

Squirrel: evil creatures that need to be chased, caught, and dispatched. Or at the very least, barked at.

Love: the warm and happy feeling your humans give to you, and you give back to them.

Wuffle: Where they breath out and their lips flap up and down!!

SLURPS: The sounds made during a greyhound's...er...um...personal hygiene regime.

Knitting: little love nibbles

Helicopter Tail: some have it, some don't but it is self-explanitory in moods of excitement.

Dewey: The Eastern Mecca of greyhound enthusiasts

GT: Slang for www.Greytalk.com

Bounce Backs: Those dogs who come back from an initial placement

Pancakes...What we call the mushy poos

Kanab: The WESTERN Mecca for Greyhound owners

Roto-tail: See Helicopter Tail

Pogo-ing: Bouncing the front end up and down because you're happy that the owner is home/has treats/is home/is alive or you think other greys in your house might get something before you if you don't bounce.

Stuffies: Fluffy inert object whose function is to be a target for any and all Greyhound attacks. Especially good if they squeek, grunt or screech.

GREYT = something wonderful, good, exciting

Chipping- When you add another greyhound

Love: What all greys should have.

Feeder Dogs: All little dogs who can walk under Greyhounds. This term is used most accurate when referring to small dogs who are annoying to Greyhounds and yappy.

Rain: An evil substance that will melt your skin off like acid if you should happen to go out in it to potty.

Snow: Like the evil substance rain but fun for northern track dogs to play in and a new form of cold terrain for southern track dogs to jump around in. Also easier for two leggers to spot the targets

POOPCICLES: Frozen YARD BROWNIES

SNAPPING: biting at the air, the greyhound version of blowing kisses

Greytux -- I like my (and Shanakil Magic's) versions of the love definition better than yours. :)

I did not post about love. I just put all the posts in the thread together, I did see there were three different definitions about love but it twas not me.  :lol  :lol  :lol  :sigh

Guest lisa73

Everyone forgot radar ears flopping weirdy my guys could hear the click of a cupboard door three streets away oh yeah and the clink of a tin opener too!!! :lol  :lol

Guest ShannonQ

Pffft - The signal to break out the gas masks, clothes pins or air freshener

Car - A mobile couch with windows

Bully Stix - You don't want to know

Bath - The worst punishment for a grey ever

Martingale - A sneaky type of collar that prevents "nekkidness"

Nekkid - Collarless

Coats - Evil garments that cause static shock

Petsmart - Doggie Heaven on Earth

Rainbow Bridge - Doggie Heaven

Umm, we have "Gidget Ears" in our house:

Gidget Ears : Raising the ears just enough to be able to take in the sound of anything that might be food.

Deep Sigh: The sound to make when completly contented.

Litterbox: Home of tasty cat treats.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

The sneaky eyeball:  When mom is getting ready to leave for work and I'm sprawled out on the warm fluffy bed.  The sneaky eyeball creeps open and sees if mom is watching or not. Maybe she'll forget I'm crashed out hogging the bed and I won't have to get in the crate. Rats.. she caught me again!!!  ;)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest marnie

When I posted this topic, I never thought about using it in adoptionpackets, or anywhere else, but I love the idea!

I think I am going to gather all of the terms and post them to our adoption group's web site since I'm the webmaster....I think future adopters might get a kick out of these and I know current Greyhound adopters will too.

Thanks for the cool idea, GreyZoi! :)

Guest Needlenose

Love this post!

CLOTHES-convenient portable napkins for use after meal or drink

What about the  

Statue -  This is the position you take when you don't want to do something . You freeze in one spot and sometimes have to be  physically lifted  by your owner  to move . Its  a good  thing to do if you don't want  to leave the park . :)

Wuffle: Where they breath out and their lips flap up and down!!  :lol  This always makes me laugh!

We call this the "Horsey."  I love it too!  Poppy always stands next to me and does it when he is done with a run.  So cute.  

Thanks for all the laughs everyone!

MEDICINE - the hidden inner center of a ball of cheese.  You must watch out for this, carefully consume the cheese around it, then drop it to the floor.  Your people will undoubtedly be pleased with you for your great skill in detecting it.

GREYTALK - the thing your person will spend hours staring at on the lighted box, occasionally chuckling and pawing at the bumpy things underneath the box.  Your job is to whine, bark, chew the furniture, pass gas, or otherwise distract your person from too many hours spent in front of the box (which means less time spent with you).  The up side of the box is that your person will be in a happy mood after all the staring, making them more likely to give you scritches and treats once effectively distracted.

POPSICLE - the freezing cold thing on the end of your face that you use to shove into rude parts of your humans anatomy when they are unclothed.  Ideal for giving your humans a fright.

STOP THAT NOW YOU SWINE:- a term used every 3.1 seconds when in the company of a Greyhound puppy.

Wonderful thread :lol  I've literally been crying with laughter :lol  :lol

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Hee hee - I am really glad Bev pointed me towards this thread, it's been a real insight.  Bev - I know that popsicle bit too well!

Go-go-gadget tongue - a greyhound/lurcher tongue that can extend to whatever the gap is between dog's mouth and owner's dinner plate.  Starts off licking the edge of the plate when owner isn't looking, then swipes something quickly.

Sleep-woofs - the noise emitted from said greyhound/lurcher while asleep.  Commonly sounding like a bugle call....usually preceeded by sideways racing and snuffles

Guest kats_n_greys

Kitty Crunchies- just helping Mum, the litter tray will do a little longer.

River dancing- Only done when they are asleep- they might catch whatever they are chasing it in the next dream.:nanner

Eyes

Puppy Eyes- the saddest eyes in the world.

Sly eyes- when they are not getting their own way, but   :sly

Adoring Eyes- The one that make you melt

The Ear Twix - a locked ear in an unusual position caused by tremendous happiness, commonly caused by tasty food.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I love this idea..these are all great!!  :lol  :lol  :lol

BUNNY HOP:  What a very excited greyhound does all the way to the door when he sees you pick up his leash.  All 4 feet up in the air as he bounces and twists.  Then of course with all the bouncing you can't get the leash on.   :lol

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Guest Yossarian

Greydar: The uncanny and otherworldly ability of your greyhound to sense the presence (from over the horizon), or pending appearence, of another greyhound, no matter what you , the human, seem to perceive.

e.g. a few weeks ago I was doing errands with rusty snoozing in the backseat of the car. We were clipping along at about 60 mph past an off leash area. Suddenly, as though he'd rolled onto some knitting needles, rusty bolted upright - turn 180 degrees on the seat to look out the passenger window at the ONLY GREYHOUND in the park of about 50 dogs. Weird. He hung his head on the back window ledge looking back at this dog until it was out of sight.