Longer Racing Career = More Aging Issues?

Guest FlyingHound

Guest FlyingHound

So Roux has a limp in his right front shoulder that is only noticeable when he gets up from his naps. He hobbles for the first few steps and then it goes away over the course of about two minutes. We had him in to the vet for a thorough exam and she said there were definitely no physical abnormalities (phew!!!) and that she's sure it's just arthritis. The rescue folks and vet both blame his long racing career (93 races on greyhounddata.) Thankfully, it doesn't slow him down AT ALL apart form those first few steps and the vet thinks he doesn't need any meds as yet, though she did recommend glucosamine.

Roux has only just turned four, and I am wondering if any of you who know your hounds' racing histories have noticed a link between a longer career and more aging difficulties. We love Roux just the same, of course, but I'm thinking ahead and would like to be prepared if we need to think in terms of earlier/worse arthritis, or other racing related damage becoming more apparent with age. Also, I'm just curious.

Any stories?

:gh_runner :gh_runner :gh_runner

Edited by FlyingHound

Absolutely.

With the hundreds of hounds that have passed thru the Gang's door, the more wear and tear from racing, the more chance for issues. There is also a genetic component I believe too.

Joint supplements are a must. Glucosamine HCL, MSM, Vitamin C, Chondroitin as the basics. They help insure the joints stay lubricated, and in some cases can even repair cartilage. They do not mask pain, they help repair.

Greyhound Gang offers Get Up & Go, plus lots of info. Proceeds from the product rescue more hounds. so it's a win-win situation. It's also the least expensive product you'll find on the market, for the quality, as I do all the packing etc. Testimonials. Information. Products.

I give at least two months worth to any hound that has raced, or had injuries during training. If he's a youngster, then I back off after 2 months to just the glucosamine for a few more months. I watch and see how the stiffness is. If all looks good, then with a 4 year old, after 4 months, I'll stop the joint supplements, in the hopes that their body is producing enough, and doesn't need the supplementation. If i see stiffness return, it's back on the products.

Shoulder injuries can easily be pulled muscles that are sore too. They take time to heal, and depending on how severe the tear was, can come and go all their lives.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

On the opposite side of the coin, both of my pups were 2 when I adopted them. They are now 12 and 13 and seem to still be free of aches and pains. Savannah (13) even ran a full out double-suspension gallop across a 4-acre field at playgroup a couple of months ago - I had to cover my eyes! I do give them joint supplements, which I'm sure helps.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest LynnM

Joplin raced until he was almost 6 and ran field trials until he was almost 10. He's a normal, cranky, slowing-down-a-bit 13 year old now. He's got some aches and pains, but none worse than another dog. Mentally, he's quite sharp. Physically, he's a bit slower, but can still raise a little hell.

Lynn

Echo ran one schooling race and has more joint issues than she should at 7.

Ford and Dazzle ran almost two years (Dazzle even broke a hock), and neither have had any problems whatsoever.

Depends on the dog.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest PiagetsMom

Just a guess, but I'd think it would be much the same as any pro athlete.......the longer they participate in a sport, the more wear and tear on the body and the more likely there are to be issues after retirement and with age. Some are luckier and fare better than others.

Guest KennelMom

Our most successful racers (Prajna, Haley and Grandpa) are in the same or better condition for their age than other hounds we've had with less successful racing careers. You'd never believe they were 9, 11 and 14...Actually, you probably would believe Grandpa is 14, but he was kickin' it until he hit about 13 1/2. He raced at and lived at one of the crappiest tracks in the country until he was 10.

I think a lot has to do with genes.

Hmmm. I would want to do a little more investigating into your pup's issues -- that's young to be having problems tho could be soft-tissue injury.

My angel Batman ran @ 170 races and had no issues with joints etc. He did lose some flexibility -- at just past 10 he began to have a little trouble with slippery floors if he wasn't paying attention. We lost him to cancer at 10.5. In the course of diagnosing his cancer and checking on a few other things, we took a lot of x-rays. Most of them -- spine, shoulder, leg, hips -- could've been used for "this is what bones are supposed to look like" -- no signs of arthritis anywhere but toes, which were obviously well used :lol and which didn't bother him in the least.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FlyingHound

I can kind of see how it would make sense both ways...longer racing career means more chances for injury, maybe, and more stress definitely, but possibly also means they're in superb physical condition.

Definitely browsing Greyhound Gang sales page now, anyway!

Guest LynnM

Remember, too, that some of these dogs that never raced or raced very little had conformation issues (especially in the feet) that made them non-competitive. Structures that are poorly put together are also prone to injury and arthritis more than a "normal" specimen.

Lynn

Fields ran until he was 5 with close to 300 races in his career. He's still fast, agile and has no signs of arthritis at 8 years young. Warlock raced around 200 races and at 9 he's just starting to show a little stiffness, but he's still very agile for his age.

I believe a lot of problems can be related to how they were fed and supplemented during their career, and also how well put together the dog is(heredity); as LynnM mentioned, and whether it was an injury that caused retirement. Some injuries will slow a dog down for the rest of their life.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Bull raced almost until age 5 with something like 140 or more races and he seems to be orthopeadically the healthiest of my three (except for one troublesome corn). I have no idea if it contributes to anything long-term or not. He is 8 and acts like a much younger dog.

Raisin is almost 14 and didn't have much of a racing career at all, but only has started to experience mobility issues in the last 4-5 months. Howie raced for about 2 years and is 11 and has trouble only with an old soft tissue injury (and is therefore not allowed to do straight racing fun runs like the one at Abilene anymore..he is sad about this, but too darn bad, He is able to go to the dog park or playgroup without problems, however).

I'm on the side of the fence that says it is genetic - but I also think that ANY athlete can be more susceptible to arthritis and tissue breakdown and that is why glucosamine and supplements as such are important for our hounds.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

It's possible his career ended due to whatever injury it is that's coming back to bother him now.

Check his record. Did he suddenly start coming in last? My guy did. And he has a dropped muscle in his hind end.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest PhillyPups

Stepper (who will be 13 in September) ran over 224 races, he is my puppy clown, and does not know he is supposed to calm down yet. :lol

Zeus on the other hand came to me an old soul, but is still very active.

I am of the mindset that the hounds that run the longest are your "prime" athletes, just like I can jog a mile, but don't put me in a marathon, cause I will be the "tail" of that. There are many good gymnist out there, but how many make the olympic teams? Same school of thought for me.

The Queen ran 133 races, delivered 34 pups and retired from both careers at 10, she was in fantastic shape up until her 13th birthday.

I had littermates to compare and here is what I had...

Male at 3 years retired due to soft tissue injury (front wrist) about 70 races under his belt. Finn had confirmed arthritis at 3.5 years and significant joint issues his entire life. I just lost him at almost 9 due to a bone cyst.

Female retired 2 months before her 5th birthday over 200 races in her career. Wink has had NO issues with any joint/bone areas.

I think it is the luck of the draw and you can't predict anything due to the number/length of racing career.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

It's possible his career ended due to whatever injury it is that's coming back to bother him now.

Check his record. Did he suddenly start coming in last? My guy did. And he has a dropped muscle in his hind end.

No. His trainer retired him FROM AA. He's a smart guy with lots of stakes dogs and knows when to run them and when to retire them. But you're right on target as to why.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest Patience

My four-yr-old Bison has the same problem--stiff right shoulder that seems to loosen up with movement. Bison gets worse, even limps, if we push him too far on walks, however.

He had a very short career: only one win and three places before he dropped off and retired. We have wondered if he had an injury, but I don't think it was the length of his career that did this to him.

Guest FlyingHound

He did have a few 8th places there at the end, and dropped out of Grade A. There are some things in his notes towards the end there that sounds scary to me (not that I'd know anything about it) like "Collided 1st Turn" and "Tangled 2nd Turn" and a few "Early Trouble." I wouldn't know what these translate to, but the pictures they bring up are scary when I try to apply them to the lazy cuddle-bug on his dog bed. It's kind of fascinating reading this stuff, though.

I don't know anything about finding out their histories besides greyhound-data. Is there anywhere else worth checking?

Guest Amber

Oscar raced until he was nearly 5 (on British 'unlicensed' tracks - there are no racing records kept and dogs can be raced very frequently; no vet in attendance at race meets). He was retired only when a 'new' owner noticed he had a limp. This was in fact arthritis, caused by racing injuries and excessive racing. Now 11, he's just been diagnosed with heart failure.

Petra my other dog raced until about 3.5 years old (again on unlicensed tracks); she has a few knobbly bits on her legs and doesn't put full weight on one back leg when running (due to injury I would guess) but this doesn't affect her and she has no ongoing health problems, aged nearly 10.

Foxy had over 134 races and retired at 4 !/2. She is 13 1/2 now, has never had joint supplements and was still running a few months ago. She is wobble and unstable now due to other health issues. My own feeling is genetics play a big part in this as it does other diseases.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I think it depends, Quiet Man raced til he was at least 4 1/2 - 5 years old, he's 11, almost 12 now and aging well. I don't think he had any track injuries, but I don't know for sure.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com