Happy Has Unhappy Feet!

Poor Happy. Her front feet are quite swollen and tender. Our current financial status requires that we watch and wait, or do home treatments unless it's an emergency (knock wood!!), so of course I come to GT for a little input. :)

Background: Happy is 9 years old, retired with a broken hock which is now "fusing". She's shown some lameness in that leg and a bit in her front leg on the same side. Xrays showed a tiny spur on her front "wrist" that might be the cause of the front leg lameness (which is minor and only occasional), but the vet considered the possibility of a spinal issue, and xrays showed a slight compression in her neck vertebrae (we now use a harness on her exclusively).

She also has a skin condition which we can't figure out. Biopsy was inconclusive, but the best treatment seems to be to keep the affected area covered with cotton, so probably some kind of contact dermatitis or allergy. So, she wears a tee shirt all the time. The affected area is just on her ribs, on the bottom only.

So, yesterday morning we were on our walk, and DH noticed she seemed to be limping. He checked her front foot, and noticed a small bit of berry vine, stickery, and took it off. She seemed alright after that. Later, she did seem to be walking a little carefully, and didn't participate in the zoomies in the yard, but none of that is so unusual in itself. This morning, both front paws looked like .... Lab paws! Especially the far left toe on each front foot. I put on my headlamp and strongest glasses, rolled her over, and looked carefully (she didn't like this, was clearly uncomfortable with the most swollen toes), and saw some redness, mostly in the web between the swollen toe and the one next to it. No visible wound like a cut or stinger or thorn, and no rash. Just swelling and redness, almost purply on one foot. Her feet don't feel especially warmer than anywhere else.

So, here are my thoughts.

1. allergic reaction to something she walked on?

2. stepped on a bee/wasp or bit by a spider? With both front feet??

3. her tee shirt was too tight in the "armpits" and cut off circulation just enough to cause swelling? (It's now off and switched for a much looser shirt)

4. (KNOCK ON WOOD!) something to do with the spinal compression?

I don't have any NSAIDs on hand, except people stuff, but I might have some benedryl-like stuff. Do you think I should try that on the chance it's an allergic reaction/sting/bite and it might help?

Here are two very lousy photos of the top of her feet, to show how swollen they are. I couldn't hold her foot and the camera to get pics of the bottoms.

lffoot.jpg

rffoot.jpg

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I would probably try the benadryl AND wash them off very well with mild soap and cool water (and rinse rinse rinse) in case it is a contact allergy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh yeah! I meant to do the soak. Washing is a good idea, too. Neither of those can hurt anything. I'm going to go see about antihistamine ... How much should I give her? She's about 60 lbs.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Antihistimine info from my vet:

Below is the dosage information. You could try these for the next couple of weeks, as current pollens might be causing a problem. Start with one, and stick with it for at least several days. Don't use more than one at a time. You'll need to round the dosages - I start by rounding down initially, then increasing dosages if needed. I don't hesitate to increase dosages beyond the recommendations below (with monitoring). Response to antihistamines varies greatly between dogs. Don't use any 'combination' over the counter products, as these might have unsafe things, like acetaminophen (Tylenol) in them. The generic name is listed first, with the brand name in parentheses. I should add that I also use diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for car sickness and agitation (it seems to take the edge off).

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, 25mg): 1 mg/lb by mouth 2-3 times per day.

Clemastine (Tavist, 1.34mg): 1/2-1 pill by mouth 2 times per day. (use 1 pill per dose for a GH).

Chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton, 4mg): 1-2 pills by mouth 3 times per day. (start at 1 pill per dose for a GH).

Hydroxyzine (Atarax, 10mg): 1 mg/lb by mouth 2-3 times per day.

Cyproheptadine (Periactin, 4mg): 1/4-1 pill by mouth 2 times per day. (use 1 pill per dose for a GH).

Another vote for washing and epsom soaks :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Another vote for the Epsom salt and Benadryl. If she's 60 lbs, I would only give her 1, and then another 6 hours later. If I remember correctly, it's 1mg per lb. Standard Benadryl is 25mg so 2 is okay, but space them out.And Xan, stop stepping on her feet!! Poor little girl, hope she's doing better. When you can, pick up some Traumeel Gel for soreness, not for her feet but would help her leg....neck. It has arnica in it and really helps when you massage it in.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Is it just her feet bottoms, or is it working up the leg?

Does there seem to be swelling in the ankles?

Not to worry you more but if yes, that would make me think vascular or cardio. Is your vet cool enough to call and ask possibilities and opinions if you explain $ is tight?

Hugs for Happy and a beverage later for you...

Okay, washed, rinsed, and 50 mg of benedryl (generic, unmixed) in. No epsom salts, but I'll ask DH to bring some home. Her poor tootsies! The right foot especially is so red! :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Oh ack! Just saw cbudshome and fritofeet's contributions! I hope the 50 mg isn't too much! :blink:

Sue, yes, her "ankles" (wrists?) ... well, the area between her toes and her "wrist" joint, is also swollen, but not red. It doesn't seem any worse since this morning, so if it's moving, it's going slowly.

I'm going to desperately hold out that heart can't be a problem because of the limited redness. *crossing fingers* I'm not so sure about my vet. I'm fairly new to him. If I were him, I'd just say bring her in, y'know?

I'm going to give the benedryl a chance to work and observe for at least a couple hours. If it's changing for the worse before closing time at the vet's, I'll just bite the bullet and at least call.

Can you bite the bullet if that means spending money, when you have none to spend?? :rolleyes:

I have arnica gel and tablets ... thoughts on that?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Oh ack! Just saw cbudshome and fritofeet's contributions! I hope the 50 mg isn't too much! :blink:

Sue, yes, her "ankles" (wrists?) ... well, the area between her toes and her "wrist" joint, is also swollen, but not red. It doesn't seem any worse since this morning, so if it's moving, it's going slowly.

I'm going to desperately hold out that heart can't be a problem because of the limited redness. *crossing fingers* I'm not so sure about my vet. I'm fairly new to him. If I were him, I'd just say bring her in, y'know?

I'm going to give the benedryl a chance to work and observe for at least a couple hours. If it's changing for the worse before closing time at the vet's, I'll just bite the bullet and at least call.

Can you bite the bullet if that means spending money, when you have none to spend?? :rolleyes:

I have arnica gel and tablets ... thoughts on that?

50mg is just going to make her sleepy which may not be a bad thing.Just my opinion but I wouldn't use the arnica on her feet. Obviously it's harmless, but I wouldn't think it would have any benefit. At least for the foot issue. Be sure to keep us posted

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Yeah, she's pretty zonked out already! :lol

I guess now would be a good time to mess with her feet if I felt the need. ;)

I looked at the arnica gel tube, and it has a warning about taking internally (e.g. licking), so I won't use that.

My poor little ol' gal. She's so sweet about me handling her sore toes. :wub:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Foxy takes 50 mg when she needs it, so she'll be fine. I use arnica tablets or gel on my guys, again can't hurt. If she's a licker, or it's irritated use the tablets. I keep Traumeel on hand for times like these. It is a holistic antiinflamitory with arnica and a bunch of other good stuff. You could soak in salt water, not as good as Epsom salt, but it's a good second best.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Yeah, she's pretty zonked out already! :lol

I guess now would be a good time to mess with her feet if I felt the need. ;)

I looked at the arnica gel tube, and it has a warning about taking internally (e.g. licking), so I won't use that.

My poor little ol' gal. She's so sweet about me handling her sore toes. :wub:

You made me think and go look at the Traumeel gel and ther's no warning about licking it. Good thing....I just plastered Misty with it :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Thanks, Janet. I feel a little better about the benedryl.

I've looked at traumeel online. Looks like a good product.

Can you tell I'm compulsively reloading this page? :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Thanks, Janet. I feel a little better about the benedryl.

I've looked at traumeel online. Looks like a good product.

Can you tell I'm compulsively reloading this page?

Nothing wrong with that. :lol

When Jake's ankle blew up, I made the decision to treat him like I would the kids. RICE Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. Compression did nothing, but the others helped, along with Trameel until I was sure it needed a trip to the vet.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Hmm! Elevate ... as in a roach? :lol Happy doesn't roach, so that won't work. Ice we have. Rest we're working on that quite successfully at the moment. Compression ... owie. I'm not sure that's called for in this case ... it's not like a bruise ...

I don't think. ...

I suppose it could be, like, if she was jumping around and landed hard on her front feet? Took a turn hard and maybe sort of sprained the left side of both front feet?

Hm! That actually makes a kind of sense! Their yard is just a fenced section of meadow, with lots of little holes and bumps. Hmmmmm. That would go towards explaining the arrangement of the swelling (left side of both feet), and why it's sorest on the bottoms (say, if it involved any skidding).

Well! If that's what happened, then the benedryl won't have any effect on the swelling. That's one way to rule out allergies/bug bites/spider bites, I guess.

Epsom salts soak might help then. Ice. *cringe* I can't quite bring myself to compress, since they seem so sensitive!

Thanks again Janet! I think you've put me onto something here! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Chanting....Happy please get happy feet again. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

*crossing fingers* It looks like ... I think ... yes ... there is some IMPROVEMENT! I can begin to see the creases between her toes on top! They even look a bit less red!! Yeay! Whatever it was is resolving! :bounce:

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

*crossing fingers* It looks like ... I think ... yes ... there is some IMPROVEMENT! I can begin to see the creases between her toes on top! They even look a bit less red!! Yeay! Whatever it was is resolving! :bounce:

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!!

:yay:yay:yay Ha! The power of Xan

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I SWEAR I didn't take her on SweetPea's "Bataan Death March", for those of you who read Cute & Funny. I'm so glad it's resolving, Xan :colgate

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

You weren't walking with Miss Jennifer by any chance were you.

;)

I wonder if she walked on stinging ants or something? Sounds like an allergic reaction for sure. One night my poor Kramer's entire face blew up. He looked like a Shar Pei (this was a pit bull mix, not a greyhound). Wonderful Wonderful Benadryl, and a few hours later he was right as rain.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You weren't walking with Miss Jennifer by any chance were you.

:lol Nope, and she's not walking with me tomorrow, either :P We're taking Brilly and Pogo on the Bataan Death March tomorrow :unsure

Miss Jennifer

Edited by jenners

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies