Does This Grey Look Healthy To You?

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

Group,

I am in process of adopting my first grey from http://americangreyhound.org/. His name is Tommy Boy and is turning 2 this month. I have talked with the foster parents, who have just recently sent me photos of him (I have not actually seen him in person yet as he is 3.5 hours away from me) and it seems as though all of them are of him laying down.... They stated that he weighs 75lbs at 2 years.. Does this sound heavy to you? Check out the pics and let me know your throughts.

Thanks,

WagarFamilyFarm

tommyface.jpg

tommy.jpg

3731612.jpg

5894886.jpg

3521414.jpg

Guest houndstooth4

He looks pretty normal to me! Our boy is usually right around 78 pounds, one of our girls is right at 70 pounds, another of our girls is 65 pounds, and Treat was about 60 pounds. I've seen some a lot smaller and larger. I know of one boy who weighs 90 pounds, and he's just a big boy!

My Wally weighs 93 lbs and looks thin. All mine lay down a lot !

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FrostyBottoms

My BIG boy Vinny raced at 77#'s and as of the other day he weighs 91.5#'s.....he's been on a diet, he did weigh 96#'s at his heaviest. I find he is able to get around better if he is under 90#'s. Even my slender 69# girl lays around all day if she isn't doing 40MPH zoomies in the backyard. Two speeds that's all they have!

I think he looks greyt. Greys just love to lay down. He looks just like our male, Ziggy! Ziggy weighs about 80 pounds and he is really tall! Maybe that is why Tommy Boy weighs so much, too.

Ours is a big couch potato! I wouldn't change him one bit.

GOOD LUCK!! :thumbs-up

Yep, greyhounds lay down a lot. Maybe that's the only time his foster family can get a good (unblurry) picture of him? :gh_runner He's still a baby at 2 years. :baby

75 lbs is certainly not an unusual weight for a male but *in the pictures*, he looks chubby to me. But I like my hounds on the slender side. He may be just fine at the weight he's at. Easy enough to change once you get him home. He's a cutie!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

90% of the pictures I take of my guys are them laying down. You really have to be quick to get them standing up or running :lol

So true! :P We have pictures of Seamus laying on the floor, laying on the couch, laying on his many beds, laying on the grass, laying on the deck... :rofl

S.jpg

Guest WagarFamilyFarm

Thank you everyone, I just wanted to be sure that we were not getting a pup that may have other issues (i.e. weight, etc)

We cannot wait to pick him up on Friday!!

:yay:yay

Guest BigPercyInMa

That boy looks fine to me, too. I love his eyes :wub:

Percy decided to lay down in the grass today. In the middle of our walk :lol

Guest Willerton

If your greyhound does get a little tubby, it's not too hard to slim them down. Mine went from 67 lbs when I got him 2 years ago (recovering from surgery) to his racing weight of 73 lbs, and finally to weighing 84 lbs this March. He's been on a diet and now weighs 78 lbs. I just reduced each of his two meals by 1/4 cup each. Greyhound weight control is way easier than people weight control. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

:confetti:confetti:confetti Congratulations, he's a handsome boy. And all 3 of mine lay down probably 95% of their day. And when Wayne got a bit chunky, he lost 4 lbs with no sweat.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It sounds like you might need to do more research on greyhounds to make sure they are the right breed for you. They are couch potato's and will sleep 16 hours a day if you let them.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)