Licking Tush?

Any ideas what might be up? Zelda has been licking her butt, not her female parts all day today...Pop has finally stopped (he had scabs there from all his infections, but has stopped licking as it finally isn't bugging him anymore, the antibiotics are kicking the infections)...we muzzled her earlier as she doesn't like her hind end messed with and while b/f distracted her head, I lifted her tail and looked at her butt. It looked slightly more pink/red then it should be, but I didn't see any poop or anything there to be causing her aggravation...she has gotten pretty consistent about it. I noticed when she got off the dog beds that there'd be a wet spot, so I went and sniffed it and it just smells like dog breath, so I'm thinking it was wet from her licking. She still inhales her food like normal, follows me to see if there's treats anywhere and has so far acted normal (she barked at the AT&T guy today when he entered our yard with a ladder, it was her fearful bark and she wouldn't go within 20 feet of him, just in case that ladder tried to bite her...of course Pop had to go sniff him). Thanks.

I should add that when the vet did an ultrasound looking for her bladder it was further back then it is in a normal grey, the vet could hardly find it.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Licking the rear is one sign that the anal glands need a little squeeze. :)

agreed. The sooner, the better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

so is this something we should taker her somewhere for or do ourselves? I'm remembering the Dirty Jobs episode and if I remember correctly it isn't pretty, plus she already doesn't like stuff done to her hind end.

Guest StriderDog

Just make an appointment with your vet techs and they can do it. At my vet, a tech visit will run you about $20.

Guest Janeysmom
Just make an appointment with your vet techs and they can do it. At my vet, a tech visit will run you about $20.

OH THANK HEAVENS...

Janey has been doing the same thing, and I love my girl, but....

Zelda has an appointment for 3:30 tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get a stool sample tomorrow morning to take in (just in case they ask for it, same with urine sample)...not like it's bad enough I have to get a urine sample from the cat, but that's a whole other story.

Glad you made an appointment so quickly. I waited to make an appointment for Merlin because I knew he was going in anyway for pre-dental work, and I regretted it. I waited two weeks and when they expressed his glands they found that they were infected, he screamed in pain, and they had to put him on antibiotics. Poor baby :(

Hope it goes well.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Well, they're going to check her over first to make sure nothing else is wrong, which is why I'll just take in the stool sample if I can get one (probably leash walk her in the back yard). They had 3 slots open tomorrow, so I'm thinking I might end up with the vet, but who cares, our vet is actually pretty cheap when it comes to office visits & meds...now if only I can get the cat to pee sometime between noon and 2 tomorrow I'll be doing awesome (they want a fresh urine sample to make sure all the blood is gone from her urine). We don't have any dentals or routine check ups coming up, so my only option was to get an appt. as soon as possible, especially after watching her try to get her butt while outside and muzzled, she sat right down in the yard and tried to get it, so I know something is bugging her.

Well, I took in a stool sample just in case today (they checked it and it was fine), they checked Zelda over, and yes, her one anal gland was completely full, the other had fluid in it...one had blood in it as well, so Zelda has antibiotics for the next 2 weeks and they want her to come back in a week to have the glands expressed again so that they can watch it...and the vet was happy I didn't wait until Zelda was scooting on the floor before bringing her in, so thanks GT.

BTW, Zelda is still complaining about how violated she was today...she got extra yummy treats once home though

Guest paulamariez

Poor Zelda! Hope she's feeling better after being violated! I know how offended Bueller was last time when the vet took his temperature rectally instead of in his ear. He still flips the vet's office the bird every time we pass it in the car!