Sunscreen For Dogs?

Guest vtmom

Guest vtmom

My pups love to lay out in the sun on nice days. They sprawl all out on the lawn and sometimes I wonder if passing cars think they are dead out there because they just are soooooo relaxed. One thing I am noticing is sometimes Brady's skin under his belly (you know in the back near the "equipment") looks almost sunburned. I know when you shave long haired breeds you are supposed to keep them out of the sun because of sunburn so it must be possible.

So what can I do to keep my pups safe and comfy in the sun? Is there a dog sunscreen I could spray on? Something that is safe if they lick themselves? Oh and yes they have a shaded area but they prefer the sunny spots for some reason. B)

PS....I see this most on Brady, he is white. Brooke is fawn and I do not see it as much on her. Maybe white dogs are like red heads :lol:

Yep, you can get sunscreens made especially for dogs. I've bought one made by Dr. Dog in the past, but it's not longer shown on their site. They do have the bug repellent I use (it's a citronella based spray) - click here.

Otherwise, Entirelypets.com has a selection of them - Link.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When a bottle says "External Use Only!" I worry about putting it on my dog. Granted, they're not going to be drinking it straight from the bottle, but they will lick it off unless it gets washed off first. So, assuming it's safely absorbable, a bath after every use should be recommended ... and, man, that's a lot of baths! *hmf* Easier way?? Full clothing and sunhats?? My three mostly-white dogs are all pretty pink after their first few sunny days, and I'm worried and unsure about what to use, too!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest VaGreymom

So glad you asked the question. I have a new pup and she is white with a pink spot on her nose. She came from Florida and looks like she may have had a little sunburn on her nose. I was wondering how to protect her this summer. I got my answer.

You might want to keep Brady out of the sun quite so much. The risk of sun damage is real. Coco had a couple of spots of hemiangiosarcoma removed, and I'm pretty careful to keep him out of the sun now even though he's a dark brindle. They always get walked at night (always have- nothing new just because of the skin thing).

The only good news is that there's now a decent curative vaccine available for malignant melanoma in dogs. IIRC it's $500 (it might be more- they have to grow the animal's own cancer cells), but I think it adds an extra 14 months on average or something like that. I'm admittedly a little hazy on the details now (plus, it was brand-new when I read this- things may have changed), but a good portion of those dogs were flat-out cured of disease. I think it broke down into thirds- one third cured, one third life extended, one third no difference.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I use Coppertone for Babies in the spray form on mine. Tess has had several spots removed before I found out about using it. She hasn't had any since. She is my sun godess and with a doggie door it's impossible to keep her inside. That's what my Vet recommended.

I use sunscreen marked safe for small children--I figure they probably lick it too.

Also, if possible try to let her enjoy her outdoor time before 10am or after 2pm, when the sun is much less intense.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.