Question About Previcox

Milky hurt herself yesterday and Tom took her in to see the vet this morning. Her middle toe is swollen so they put her on antibiotic and pain meds. They prescribed Previcox. We've never used it and wanted to know what others experience has been with it. We usually use Metacam but the vet wants us to use the Previcox because Milky's liver values were a little off when she had pre-dental blood work done in early March. Nothing that had them overly worried and we will recheck in 6 months but also don't want to give her something that will make them worse if there is a problem. She may have just been a little dehyrated when the last test was done that caused the abnormal numbers. She's only on the Previcox for 5 days and as with any NSAID we'll watch for stomach upset or any other problem. We also only give meds with food to lessen the chance of an ulcer. So what has been everyones experience with Previcox? But an over protective doggie moms mind at ease :rolleyes:

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

My vet usually prescribes Previcox over Rimadyl or Deramax. We've had very good luck with it. I had a foster that Deramax didn't help but 1/2 a Previcox will completely stop her limping.

I've had several hounds on it and have never had a bad reaction.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

We have used Previcox for a couple years. No ill effects. We are currently off it for immune suppression, but I would not worry about using it again if need be. I was told it is one of the safest of the NSAIDS. They all have their worries don't get me wrong, this just seems to be the one with the least.

The Girls

they believe Previcoxx is what caused Brady's liver failure...

Brady

knowing that, I'm not sure what you would look for in your own hound...Brady gave no sign of anything wrong until he turned yellow :(

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I have also used Previcox without any problems. Babette was on it for several weeks after her ortho surgery and my vet suggested adding some milk thistle to her diet while she was on it to help protect her liver. The Previcox worked well and lab work showed no change in liver values after using it.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Thaks, I remembered reading about a dog that had a reaction, I just couldn't remember who. Bad when you figure I just read about Brandy yesterday. As for using Tramadol, since the toe is inflamed they want to get the swelling down. :( Why is deciding on treatment for the furry kids is so much more stressful then deciding on treatment for ourselves? And I always do way more research on things with them then I ever do with me :rolleyes:

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

Hugs to Milky, Trish. Hope she is Ok.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest whatahound

Our 14 1/2 year old Lab is on Previcox. He's been on it about a year and has done very well. No side effects that we have noticed.

Not sure what makes the vet think Previcox is any different from the other NSAIDs? They are all the same. If there are liver issues, do NOT use it.

Why not use tramadol?

This is what I've always thought and what my vet has always told me.Some dogs respond better to one than the other maybe, but they all carry the same problems. I'm surprised that a vet would say use it knowing there is an issue with the liver. Although, I've also been told that short term use(days) would be okay. But that would scare me and I'de stay away from using it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Andyhound

We are currently using Previcox for Booty's arthritis. It has made a huge difference to her - positively - and her health has remained excellent. No drug can be described as completely risk-free unfortunately. All we can do is research, ask our vets sensible questions and decide what issues are important to us in terms of measuring quality of life.