Buddy, The Beach, And The Bridge

Guest PDXFOX

Guest PDXFOX

I have seen references to “the bridge” many times. I sort of understood what it meant…passing on, crossing to the other side etc…but never knew the story behind the term until this week.

Buddy was 13 years old in February and, although he had slowed down a lot, he was still happy and enjoying life until about a month ago. He started coughing, I took him to the vet, it was congestive heart failure (which we sort of already had guessed). That was a couple weeks ago and he went on lasix last week. Thankfully, his cough all but stopped which made his last days with us much easier on all of us. Unfortunately, he went rapidly downhill in other ways. We knew his time was close but how do you decide WHEN!?! It’s an agonizing decision and I spent a lot of time on here and at other websites looking for advice and wisdom. I found many lists of things to look for and the signs were clear…but, still, how do you REALLY know it’s time?? Then I did a search here on “the bridge” and that led to “the rainbow bridge” and a google of that turned up the poem. (For anyone who has not yet seen it, here is one place to find it: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm). When I read it, I cried and cried. In sorrow, yes, but also in relief. I knew now for sure that the best gift I could give my precious boy was to help him get to the bridge. That was Monday and I was at work. (Yeah, I know, I was supposed to be WORKING, not surfing the net, but work can wait at times like this!) Everyone could see my red-rimmed eyes but no one wanted to ask. (BTW, if you ever want to keep people from bugging you and out of your office, teary eyes will do the trick, lemme tell ya! ;) )

My heart was breaking now for a different reason. I so wanted to send Buddy to the bridge but, the DH, Brett, and I BOTH needed to be ready and he just wasn’t there yet. Thankfully, by Wednesday morning Brett was able to accept that we would be doing this FOR Buddy, not TO him. I called the vet and made an appointment for this evening (Thursday).

The vet gave him the first shot and then left us alone while Buddy drifted off to sleep. I stroked him and talked to him the whole time telling him how much we loved him and how much we would miss him and how much we will look forward to seeing him again at the bridge. I explained to him that this ordeal was going to be over in just a few minutes and how much fun he was going to have playing with all his old and new friends. He put his head down and drifted off and I could swear I saw just the hint of a smile on his face. :wub:

Buddy ADORED the beach. We live in Portland OR and are only an hour or two from the beach so we went there frequently. We have a travel trailer and would camp there all the time. No matter what we would do to try to sneak around Buddy would ALWAYS know that we were getting ready to go camping and he would just go bananas crying and yelping and howling just making damn sure that we weren’t going to forget the DOG! :gh_bow It was the only place where we ever let him run loose (except the yard). Brett and I would walk about 10-20 yards apart and call him back and forth and he would just fly around in circles just as if he was still on the track. :gh_runner After all he WAS a Class A racer <proud parent bragging> with quite a number of wins under his belt when he broke his hock. His owners (good, caring ones) patched him up and put him up for adoption at 3 years old and we were the lucky people whose life he graced.

Even as his health started to fail last month we hoped that he would at least make it through the spring camping season. We went to the beach for our first camping weekend three weeks ago. I think that is when we both knew the end was near. Although Buddy was still excited to be at his beloved beach, he was just too weak to really enjoy it that much. Still, though, we will always cherish the memory of that last trip.

We had a trip scheduled for this weekend and, although neither of us said anything, I think we both knew this might be the last one for us all. As it turned out, that was not to be. Now, here’s the thing. The author of that poem is a far wiser and more artistic soul than I could ever hope to be. But he/she made one small “typo”. Where it talks about there being “meadows and hills,” they inadvertently left out the part about THE BEACH! It’s obviously an oversight. After all, what place close to heaven wouldn’t have a beach?!? And what pet doesn’t like the beach?!? Well, ok, maybe the kitties not so much, but they’ve got the trees to climb up and down in the hills. The dogs, though, now THEY spend LOTS of time on the Rainbow Beach. And, this weekend, Brett and I and Buddy will all be at the beach after all. We’ll be at Cannon Beach and Buddy will be at Rainbow Beach.

I know this is very long, but, hey, I figure anyone who doesn’t want to read it all won’t! I just kinda need to write it tonight. :cry1 (Thank god I have tomorrow off!!). Just a few more things I want to say. Although I have only posted on here a few times, I have often lurked and can’t tell you how much I admire, respect, and thank all you dedicated loving people who are here all the time to support ALL of us pet lovers. Please understand that you help FAR more people than you ever will know.

The other thing I want to address is the process of “making the decision”. I read many of the “remembrance” posts here trying to gain wisdom as to how to make this painful decision, so perhaps someone else is now doing exactly the same thing and I can help in some tiny way.

All this week I couldn’t help but think back to the three kitties and one feisty little hell raiser of a Yorkie that I’ve had to send to the bridge in the past. It’s always gut wrenching and SOOOO hard to separate the emotion from the logic. I think the one thing that helped me the most, besides the poem, was an article that talked about how our pets rely totally on US to know the right thing to do. They don’t know they are dying and they don’t know there is any option except to stoically put up with whatever they are feeling. Therefore, we must be brave and make the hard decision. We must not think about ourselves. We must think of them. And, most of all, we must remember that the most beautiful loving gift of all that we can give them at the end of their life with us is to spare them as much suffering as is humanly possible. Look deep into his or her eyes. Is the light still there? If not, they are ready and you will be doing the kindest, albeit most difficult, act to release them.

I have a few photos here. This is the first time I've tried this so forgive me if this doesn't work.

Our beautiful boy in his prime at his favorite place:

IM001355.jpg

In happier times:

IM000028.jpg

IM000014.jpg

And our treasured last trip together to the beach in February:

PICT0019a.jpg

Have fun at the bridge dear sweet Buddy. Thank you so much for all the memories. We will always love you!

PICT0313.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry :cry1:grouphug What a beautiful tribute to Buddy. May the memories you created together bring you peace. Yes, your right, there HAS to be a beach at the Bridge.

Godspeed Sweetheart :f_red

Guest greybookends

Bless you for loving Buddy enough to give him that final act of love. I know how hard it is to make the decision.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest VaGreymom

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy. He knew he was loved.

Run Free at the Beach Buddy. :f_red

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greyindy

:bighug:bighug He was beautiful!! I have held 2 furbabies , looked them in the eye and talked them over the bridge over the years. It is never an easy decision to make and in hindsight I probably selfishly waited a little longer then I should have in both cases. For all the love they brought me it was the least I could do to help them through their last breath.

Run free on the beaches Buddy

Guest jurishound

What a handsome, wonderful boy. I do hope that your wonderful memories of him outweigh the pain of losing him very soon. If only we could keep them with us forever. My sincere sympathy to you and your family.

I am so sorry for your loss of Buddy. We never have enough time. :cry1 Godspeed sweet Angel Buddy....send your Mommy and Daddy a sign that you are enjoying your newest journey. Buddy will always watch over and remain in your hearts until you meet again. I know that you feel his spirit at the beach...

My sis lives in Portland and the next time we are at Cannon...I will cast a rock into the water for sweet Buddy. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Beautiful beautiful boy, who was clearly much loved... I'm very sorry for your loss.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest WarmheartedPups

what a wonderful story ....Buddy sounds like a special dog. I am so sorry for your loss.

Another special angel at the rainbow beach bridge

What a beautiful tribute to Buddy. It is indeed such a difficult decision to make and very hard to say goodbye. We followed this path just 3 weeks ago with our Hobbes. He too loved the beach (although the Atlantic Ocean) and we spent many happy hours walking the beach in the summer. It made me smile to read your description of the Rainbow Beach and I found it comforting. I bet Hobbes was waiting there for Buddy so they could frolic and romp together. May you find comfort in the wonderful memories you have of your lovely boy.

:f_white :f_white :f_white

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so sorry for your loss of Buddy. Your post was beautiful & so was he. I very much like the idea of the Rainbow Beach. f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I've always loved the name Buddy for a dog because I think it just sums up so well the bond between human and hound. You can tell from the pictures and your description that your boy was special. He was a handsome hound at his beach and I know he is just as handsome at the Bridge, watching over you. I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences. Thank you for sharing his story.

:grouphug

Edited by MomoftheFuzzy

Guest Greyglo

What a beautiful tribute to your Buddy.

Bambi, at the Bridge, also loved the beach more than just about anything, so if your gorgeous boy goes from cloud to cloud in search of the perfect Rainbow Beach, he'll have a kind and sweet angel there to welcome him.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

f_yellow