Cancer Treatment Update

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to give a quick update on Dempsey. :)

He had his 5th and final chemo treatment last week. The oncologist thought he was looking great and seems to be in great health. His weight is back down by a couple of pounds (58 lbs now!), so we're giving him more food and extra treats to get it back up where it needs to be. He had an appointment with our regular vet yesterday for follow up bloodwork. His platelets are low from the chemo, and he's got a couple of spots on his gums that indicate hemmoraging so we have to keep an eye on those. The vet didn't seem too worried about it, so that was good. Dempsey will then go back to U of I 4 weeks from now for a follow up check up. Since he was part of a clinical trial, we'll have to go every 8 weeks for some blood tests and chest x-rays.

All in all, it's a relief to be done with the chemo and to move on to the next "phase" of just enjoying our time together and not having to focus so much on vet visits. :) The other good news is that a friend of mine has a friend who is a photographer and she is willing to take some pictures of Dempsey this summer at no charge. I'm so excited about this because I don't have any professional pictures of Dempsey and have few pictures of me and him together. So, we'll probably do this in June and I can't wait!! :)

We installed laminate floors last month and Dempsey seems to be doing well with those- better than our 4-legged IG who out of nowhere woke up scared of the floors. Demps did wipe out the other week when he jumped off the couch, but he didn't seem to be hurt. We've got a rug right in front of the couch now for him to help. He also fell a few weeks ago because he tried to lift the "wrong" back leg to pee on a street sign. The only thing hurt then seemed to be his pride!

So, all in all, things are really great and we are just taking it one day at a time. It's a relief that we are at a new normal and not having to think about the cancer so much. There are times where I actually even forget that we've amputated one of his legs... the resiliency of animals just amazes me.

Anyway, that's my update for now! :)

Heather

Way to go, Dempsey! Congratulations on being done with chemo--and we promise we won't tell anybody about that little "lifting the missing leg" incident!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I'm so proud of him! Your heart must be filled with love for your brave boy. What a relief to be done with the chemo. While I know they tolerate it much better than humans, it kind of becomes the focus of your life, and everything pretty much revolves around the trips and side effects and whether he can even get the treatment that day. You're right, you can concentrate on the next phase of your journey. What a journey it's been, and you have dealt with the ups and downs admirably. I think it's wonderful that you're having the pictures taken---at no cost yet! You will treasure them.

I wish I could give your boy a hug.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytmonty

I am glad he is all done with the chemo and has done so well. Now lots of treats to fatten him up!!!!

I look forward to your pictures in June!

I am so glad that the chemo part is over. Keep up the good work sweetie...we are all so proud of you! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Vinnie

WooHoo - wonderful news. A "normal" routine after all the treatments and amputation is such a relief. I am so glad he is doing better. And don't worry - we used to forget that our Angel Vinnie was a tri-pod too - he never even acted like he had a fourth leg after the amputation - and boy could he fly when he was running. Can't wait for pix - that's what I miss - I am usually behind the camera - so lots of pix with our pups showing with our DS or my DH - so that will be very special for you - pick a good one and have a big size made to hang on your wall - you'll treasure it. Again, congrats on the ending of the chemo. Hugs to you and scritches to Dempsey.

Guest paulamariez

What a wonderful and brave boy Dempsey! I'm glad he's almost finished with his chemo and is doing great! I will keep your precious Dempsey in my thoughts and prayers for a complete healing. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Dempsey some get well kisses!

Guest KRKWMU
:yay Dempsey!!! That's greyt! Thanks for the encouraging update! I can't wait for the day! Give him a hug from Bonnie and all of us! :wub:

:yay I'm thrilled for you. Did we send him a Survivor Ring from HfH? If not, PM me your address.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest HersheysMom

I'm so glad he's doing well! It will be so nice to spend time with him, get his pics taken this summer, and enjoy him just as Dempsey and not as a cancer dog, which tends to overshadow everything else sometimes. Have fun with him this summer and enjoy the break from the vets :)

:yay:yay Great news.Be sure and let him know just how special he is. As are you for taking such good care of him.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Great news :yay Enjoy now, Dempsey :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest laceyj

What great news Heather! Congrats on being done with the chemo! :confetti He's been such a trouper. So happy for you about the pro photo shoot, you will treasure those forever.