Glucosamine Problems

Does anyone have problems of hound having loose poops when on glucosamine supplements? I have tried both the chewables and human pill forms and always seems to have this reaction in Sam. He does have a "touchy system" so I never vary from his usual food. but I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I really hate to take him off it ( limp on hind leg but clear x-rays) but don't like what it does to him.

Yep. That was the only result it produced for my dogs. I gave it a fair trial and then quit using it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greybookends

I have heard that sometimes hounds get upset tummies when they first go on glucosamine but that it usually goes away after a while but don't quote me on it. Also just a thought but chicken feet is a natural source of glucosamine, maybe she would like the treat and can tolerate it better.

Several people on the GH L have complained about the same thing. The majority of the time I use Fresh Factors (chondroitin from bovine) and MSM from Whole Foods. There is glucosamine in Joint Health (made by Springtime Ind.) and my guys have not had a problem with looses stools when they are on it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

No problem here, for what it's worth I use cosequine.

I know it's a nuciance, but maybe the poorer poop quality is worth it if the dog is overall more comfortable?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've heard that the human formula can be rough on a dogs tummy...I would try cosequin or something made especially for dogs

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Yes, I use Claudia's (www.greyhoundgang.com) which is 100% pure glucosomine. When I first started Polli (9 years old) on the recommended dosage of 1/2 teaspoon, he poops were liquid.

I stopped for a few days and then re-introduced it very, very gradually since I knew how important it was.

It took about 2 weeks to acclimate her tummy to it slowly, but it worked.

Now, she has been on it (along with my other 3) for several months.

I highly reccomemend trying it in small dosages.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My little girl didn't have loose poops but she started to pee 5x more than usual. I talked to my vet who wasn't convinced it was related to the glucosamine so we took her off it for 3 weeks and she stopped. Then the vet wanted me to put her back on it which I just did for 3 weeks and again she had to pee 5x more than usual so we concluded that she just doesn't tolerate glucosamine. So now we're trying a few different homoepathic remedies and so far so good. Hope you find a good solution for your boy.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My hounds have sensitive digestive systems. I have used COSEQUIN for years...never had a problem.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Every dog is an individual, just like us. We can start adding more fiber to our diet, and we get diarrhea. But if we hang in there, in a week or so, our stools are hard again, and we may be even feeling better and losing weight. :rolleyes: Not all diarrhea is bad, though on-going diarrhea without knowledge of why it’s happening is. It can wreak havoc on systems, and dehydrate bodies.

Not all products work for everyone. But that doesn’t mean the ingredients are bad. Just in that mix, for that hound, it is.

Starting with a lower dose, and building up tolerance is one solution. Trying a different product is another.

Here are unsolicited emails received about how glucosamine and other supplements do help.

There’s some really cool pictures too.

If your hound is allergic to shellfish, (very small percentage) then no glucosamine will help, as it's created from shellfish. But there are other natural ways to help with their arthritis, if you have a hound allergic to glucosamine. A holistic vet is well prepared to help with that –

Greyhound Gang also has a Q&A that discusses joint supplements in more detail.

Not all supplements are created equal either, so you need to verify the quality of the product you're purchasing. All glucosamine is manufactured for people. Some companies - like Get Up & Go - just market it for dogs.

Hope this helps a bit, and your hound finds some relief from arthritis. Chinese herbal meds, acupuncture, Adequan shots, raw diet are just a few other ideas to help. Greyhound Gang's When I Am Older booklet has lots more.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!