Major Big D In All Three Greys

Guest orchidman

Guest TriciasZoo

They have been on NB Venison and Sweet Potato, limited ingredients. They did great at first, but now I have horrendous messes I'm always cleaning, along with pups. Last night was the second night. Any ideas? I was thinking of fasting them tonight, then tomorrow just rice and chicken broth, then what? Or is there a completely different approach I should be doing. I've never had all three hit me at once, and never as seriously as this

I need advice. There is no blood in the stool and they have one of those 25 gallon auto-waterers, so plenty of water.

:cry1 It's breaking my heart.

:hope:candle

Trish

Edited by TriciasZoo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do the starving for 24 hours thing and then bland food such as fish & rice or scrambled egg for a day and then reintroduction of the normal food. That's what I'm going to doing with Squitty - I mean Stanley :rolleyes:

Hope yours are all feeling better soon!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest SueG201

often times in the spring there is lots of bacteria in the ground from all the moisture. My

dogs always get a doggy virus in the spring when the snow first melts. Fast them for

24 hrs, then introduce some boiled c hicken and rice for a few days. That should take care of

it, just make sure they drink plenty of fresh water so they do not dehydrate

I think I would take stool samples to my vet just to bed sure they haven't picked up giardia or something.

me too, especially since it's all three at once

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest armanntoo

My guys get it every spring, I give them boiled ground beef with rice or pasta, and a tablespoon of yogurt (instead of yogurt, add some pepto bismal), It usually clears up in 3 or 4 days.

Guest TriciasZoo

Now we have added vomiting to the symptoms. :( I want to cry for them. I am going to send A to Walmart for more Immodium. Can they use Pepto?

Ok, I see Pepto is safe. What dosing?

Now we have added vomiting to the symptoms. :( I want to cry for them. I am going to send A to Walmart for more Immodium. Can they use Pepto?

I'd call the vet asap. I don't think immodium stops vomiting, but if they have big d and are vomiting, that's not good.

What's coming up in the vomit?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TriciasZoo
What's coming up in the vomit?

Softened dog food.

Ok. Here's my list or A to get at Walmart: Pepcid, but Pepto liquid if no Pepcid, more Immodium, Peaches in heavy syrup (helps vomitting), chiicken broth, yogurt and some extra pumpkin. Am I missing anything?

I wouldn't add any pumpkin until their systems are back to normal. Limited quantities of the other stuff.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest adoptagreyhound

Your list sounds good to me. Be sure the broth is low sodium if he can find it. I just had a situation (all last week) similar to yours and so I'm very sensitive to the dog food recalls. Here's the link to the NB foods that have been recalled, just in case yours is one of them:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petf...EN)&pet=Dog

Praying for your babies!!

When all 3 of mine had the big D there was no vomiting but some dry heaves. Took all 3 in to the vet. All 3 got something (I forget the name) to help coat the intestinal lining and Flagyl (to be used until poop firmed up). Pudge and Oliver had subQ liquids, Gracie had to stay all day and get IV fluids.

We never knew what caused it for sure. When we went thru the laundry list of possibilities with the vet one thing he hit on was that they all 3 had that week been seen drinking water from a birdbath outside - not something they usually did. Vet thought it could have been something they picked up from bird feces on the birdbath.

The only one here with severe diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously was Rosie - she'd eaten snail pellets - and somehow survived after a multiday stay at the vets.

Hope things are slowing down at your house Trish. But don't rule out a vet trip.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TriciasZoo
I wouldn't add any pumpkin until their systems are back to normal. Limited quantities of the other stuff.

Thanks Ducky!

Thanks Ducky!

Unless it's been 48 hours, I would not stop them up. Their system is getting rid of something bad.

I'd call the vet too.

Good point, Diane. Thanks!!!

Your list sounds good to me. Be sure the broth is low sodium if he can find it. I just had a situation (all last week) similar to yours and so I'm very sensitive to the dog food recalls. Here's the link to the NB foods that have been recalled, just in case yours is one of them:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petf...EN)&pet=Dog

Praying for your babies!!

Thanks for the link to the recalled foods. Fortunately my food isn't on there.

Guest TriciasZoo
When all 3 of mine had the big D there was no vomiting but some dry heaves. Took all 3 in to the vet. All 3 got something (I forget the name) to help coat the intestinal lining and Flagyl (to be used until poop firmed up). Pudge and Oliver had subQ liquids, Gracie had to stay all day and get IV fluids.

We never knew what caused it for sure. When we went thru the laundry list of possibilities with the vet one thing he hit on was that they all 3 had that week been seen drinking water from a birdbath outside - not something they usually did. Vet thought it could have been something they picked up from bird feces on the birdbath.

The only one here with severe diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously was Rosie - she'd eaten snail pellets - and somehow survived after a multiday stay at the vets.

Hope things are slowing down at your house Trish. But don't rule out a vet trip.

*ding*ding*ding* We may have a winner. I have an outdoor goldfish/koi pond, and all three have been seen drinking from it. :bighug:kiss2

I think a call or visit to the vet is in order here. I would be worried and want to get them on some meds quickly

Already have a call into him, and he's recommended what you guys have, basically, and to bring stool samples tomorrow.

Edited by TriciasZoo

I thought I heard somewhere that you shouldn't give your animals Pepto Bismol because it has some acetaminophen in it?

Gosh Trish I hope your kids are feeling better soon...they must be just miserable...and I'm sure you are too! :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

*ding*ding*ding* We may have a winner. I have an outdoor goldfish/koi pond, and all three have been seen drinking from it. :bighug:kiss2

I can just hear Bebe, Flippy and Sam now: "But Mom we love fish poo soup!

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest TriciasZoo

Anyone else on Pepto? Is is it safe or not?

My first aid kit will be stocked with the remaining meds I don't use up this round. GEM does such an awesome job with their first-aid kits. It's great to know I can grab it and have everything I need in one nice case.

You can clearly see the amount of research and care that goes into their first-aid kits. :)I never head out without that kit in the truck, if pups are going with us.

I can just hear Bebe, Flippy and Sam now: "But Mom we love fish poo soup!

Ewww....Ducky!!! :sick:puke

I just went though the same thing with Dee on Friday and Saturday. I gave her Pepto, 1 pill in the morning and one in the evening.

I didn't feed her for 24 hours, then started with bland diet, rice and chicken. I'll do that for a couple of days. She seems to feel better today (so far-crossed fingers).

I was also told not to let her eat grass (which of course she wanted to do all day yesterday) I let her eat it for a liitle while, then made her stop. Everytime she did eat grass then she would throw up again. I hope your guys feel better soon!

Tricia, Where do you get the first adi kits - GEM?

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Seems you've gotten a wealth of good advice already, especially about consulting the vet, Trish. So I just wanted to add my support and hope your crew is feeling better ASAP!

:grouphug