Springtime Shedding

Guest greyfiend

Guest greyfiend

Hi.

We adopted our Greyhound last July and for the whole month of October he shed - a lot! (thyroid is normal). So I wonder what month is typical for Spring shedding? We live in Oregon.

Any thoughts?

Mine shed a lot in the fall. I can't say I've noticed them shed more than normal in the spring.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Psi has been blowing his winter coat for the last 2 wks. I have to brush him every day or it would get away from me.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Batman shed fall and spring both. Can't remember if Zema and Joseph shed last fall but I've noticed just a trickle starting now .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Here in the UK Doc started about ten days ago - even though the weather's still cold (earlier this morning it was snowing!). I find myself wondering if it has more to do with day length than temperature....

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Shed what???

Happily, my George hasn't got enough fur covering his skin to make a difference if he sheds. It's odd--he has fur where he should--there's just very little of it! Yipeee!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyfiend

Thanks all. It sounds like it just depends on the dog. We'll wait and see. When we adopted our Grey last summer he had bald thighs in the back and after he got his winter coat he has lovely flaxen blonde hair back there as well as on his tummy. Also when we adopted him he had dark brown skin on his thighs and other places, which exfoliated when he shed in October and now the skin is all pink/white. Maybe it was a "tan"???

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spud and Sadie have started a shedding a little. Of course our temps are hovering in the high 70s so I'm sure that's why ;)

It really depends. Naples sheds a lot, because she has a lot of coat. But Greyhounds are not double-coated like Huskies, German Shepherds, and the like, so they don't shed the same way.

It really depends on whether your dog's coat thickened up during winter.

By the way, the shedding you saw soon after adoption probably had more to do with the nuttritional changes from track to home. Usually somewhere in the neightborhood of (up to) six months after adoption, Greyhounds blow their track coats, and acquire a sleeker, shinier pet coat. It's not thyroid related, just a normal change after getting on a diet that is better for the coat.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robertak

My Aaron has been shedding a lot. I live in South Florida and the temperature around here is usually on the warm side even in the winter. The shedding has been going on full force for almost 2 weeks.

Guest HeatherDemps

My IG has started shedding a TON in the past few days. I mean a *TON*. :) GH not so much yet, but not sure if chemo is affecting that or not.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Not sure about Oregon because you guys probably have normal seasons. But for us here in Arizona we have basically summer and winter. Spring is extremely short. Spencer is shedding right now - started about a week ago, and sheds so much hair it's a wonder he's not bald! Someone told me once that Greyhounds don't shed or shed very sparingly. They don't have Spencer! He's just unbelievable! My foster, Clyde on the other hand has not shed at all yet and maybe he won't who knows...

Guest krisandzoo

I didn't have any of my 3 greys in the fall. Bentley shed about a month ago for 2 weeks or so. He's a black grey...super fine coat so it wasn't that terrible. Bravo has yet to shed. Maybe not a spring shedder or just waiting? :dunno Benson is a red grey with a super fluffy coat. He is shedding a lot currently, but we just got him Monday. He was racing only a month ago so he's had a lot of change. I don't know if he's shedding for spring or just from stess.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Thanks all. It sounds like it just depends on the dog. We'll wait and see. When we adopted our Grey last summer he had bald thighs in the back and after he got his winter coat he has lovely flaxen blonde hair back there as well as on his tummy. Also when we adopted him he had dark brown skin on his thighs and other places, which exfoliated when he shed in October and now the skin is all pink/white. Maybe it was a "tan"???

That's very interesting because Spencer goes bald on his thighs and tummy in the summer and gets dark brown skin then but in winter, he grows white hair on his thighs and tummy and his tummy is nice and pink.

Guest lotsagreys4me

In Southern California my dogs are shedding already. My light colored greys seem to shed more than the dark colored ones.,

Lizzie is shedding like crazy right now...I work on her every couple of days and get tons of hair off of her each time. Of my four, she has the worst coat; she's black and as hard as I work on her, she is always kind of "dandruffy" and dull-coated. Lewis has a much thicker, longer coat and is hardly shedding at all. Stel and Hitch are my slick hounds....nice tight, short, shiny coats that don't shed at all. I guess it just depends on the dog!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)