Hima And Her "problem"

Guest lapatte

Guest lapatte

ok...

started with peeing in her bed... only in her bed...when she's sleeping...not like she's sqatting to pee...happens when she is sleeping. (vet seems to have a difficult time with this concept! )

with that, excessive drinking... all she wants to do is drink. She will drink drink drink, she wants to go outside to eat snow...

go to the vet, take urine, and blood... blood levels are all normal "for a greyhound".. great! urine is not concentrated at all. start her on propalin... peeing in bed stops, except for once or twice. limit the water intake, second urine test... still not concentrated... it's basically like water...

she is still drinks drinks drinks, she wants to go outside to eat snow...

fast forward to yesterday... vet calls and wants us to do this test and that test and... blah blah blah... I'm not sure I agree with the vet... why not try another drug or something? what if it's just incontinence and the drug she's on just isn't working for her? there are no other symptoms... I tell her I will think about it... call my "greyhound lady" and see what she thinks... well, she agrees with me...why all these tests... are they really warranted?

vet calls again this morning... so I asked a few more questions... how about diabetes insipidus? how about other drug? she's wants to go the way of diagnosis by exclusion... ok... i'm thinking how much is this going to cost me?? i've already spent 500$... and we don't seem any closer to knowing what the problem is...

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars if they don't have any idea and we are doing all this for nothing...

what would you do?

try a different vet?

go with the tests?

wait a little longer and see?

oh man...

nat

p.s. I don't need to be told that I'm a bad dog owner for wondering... and that I'm bad for not wanting to just waste my money... it doesn't grow on trees =o)

thanks for any positive enlightenment...

If her urine isn't concentrated, the problem isn't (or isn't only) incontinence. But you will need to do some more tests to find out what the problem is. And you want to do that, because many drugs can have side effects. You don't want to give her a drug for a problem she doesn't have!

What I would do first is two things:

-1- Withhold water overnight. Get a sample of her first pee in the morning and take it to your vet for a specific gravity test (cheap and quick). This tells you whether or not her kidneys are functioning properly.

-2- Measure how much water she drinks during the day. Report that to your vet as well. This gives you some clues as to whether she has a psychogenic drinking problem or minor tummy trouble versus something like diabetes insipidus.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Something is going on. If she drinks like there is no tomorrow, that's likely why she was peeing in her bed at night. But there is a reason she is drinking so much. May be nothing to worry about or it may be a real issue to deal with.

With all the bloodwork, did they check the protein level in the urine (protein/creatinine ratio), if so, what was the value?

Guest mandm

Just curious as to what is she eating? I'm sure the answer is not as simple as diet, but I ask because my greyhound had a similar problem, which resolved naturally, and we think the cause was a very low fat diet. Besides the basic tests, we did Diabetes and full thyroid test, both came back negative.

If there's a possiblility of her having kidney problems (& it sounds like there could be given that her urine is not concentrated), I would be very cautious about restricting her water consumption at all. Dogs with kidney problems drink so much because they pee so much, not the other way around. Please ask your vet before restricting water.

It's understandable not to want unnecessary testing, but plain incontinence doesn't usually make a dog drink excessively. Talk to your vet so you understand what tests will tell you what. Sometimes ruling things out is the first step in finding out what is wrong. Best wishes to you & Hima.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My dog developed very dilute urine--ok, he didn't develop dilute urine--he lost the ability to concentrate urine--kidneys were not functioning properly.

The test that was done involved me taking up his water at bedtime, then I took him in to the vets. They tested his urine a couple of times I believe--it was very important that he not be taking in water--hence he stayed at the vet. I'm sorry I can't remember the details--but it's important to rule out excess water consumption as a reason for the dilute urine. And we did. He STILL couldn't concentrate his urine. They wanted to do LOTS of expensive kidney testing stuff, and due to his age and other health matters, I opted not to do them, but they put him on Hill's K/D and in very short order he was at least able to hold it in the house again.

This is not very helpful, is it???

I'm sorry--but I agree with the others. A dog doesn't start drinking like that for no reason.

Good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest lapatte

ok... brought her in for blood test... will get the results early next week... they better find something... you know how much this is costing me? 299$!!!! I just about fell over!

wish us luck! Keep Hima in your thoughts please!

nat

How frustrating!!! :( :(

what meds is she on for the incontinence?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

With drinking so much and peeing in her bed and having such dilute urine, yes I would for sure get more testing done. I'm glad you had the bloods done. IMHO, unless it's a very simple problem bloodwork is essential in finding out what you're dealing with so that you can treat it correctly.

Let us know what you hear! :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest RednLeilasMom

We have just gone the exact same thing with our girl Leila. She was peeing when she slept, having accidents in the house when we were out, excessive drinking, diluted urine, and extensive fur loss. After extensive testing she was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. The pathologist argued with our doctor and told her that it couldn't be Cushings because she is only 2. Well, our doctor stuck to her diagnosis and perscribed Anipril and she is doing much better. Her fur is growing back, she drinks less, has only the odd accident, but the only thing...her specific gravity didn't improve too much. The doctor said not too worry, the improvements we see are more important then what the lab does.

I recommend not withholding water. Dogs with this disease can dehydrate too easy. Leila had the water deprivation test from the vet and she ended up losing weight in 18 hours just from dehydration.

Leila was also given Propalin in the beginning but it had to be discontinued due to an possible interaction with the Anipril. She's been fine without the Propalin.

Cushing's Disease is a lifelong battle, but can be treated with medication.

Good luck with your baby!

they better find something... you know how much this is costing me? 299$!!!! I just about fell over!

I'd be quite happy at this point to see a bill from my vet that was only $299.

I get hit up for at least $500 each time I've been in the vet (unless just for meds) in the last 6 months. We are well over $6k and we still do NOT have an answer for what is wrong with Ryan.

He has yet another symptom to add to the list and we'll be at the vet this week anyway for a yearly check up and update shots for our trip to Kodiak.

I totally understand how much the vet bills hurt, but it is much safer to test and figure out what is going on than just throw meds at something you don't know what is.

We have just gone the exact same thing with our girl Leila. She was peeing when she slept, having accidents in the house when we were out, excessive drinking, diluted urine, and extensive fur loss. After extensive testing she was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. The pathologist argued with our doctor and told her that it couldn't be Cushings because she is only 2. Well, our doctor stuck to her diagnosis and perscribed Anipril and she is doing much better. Her fur is growing back, she drinks less, has only the odd accident, but the only thing...her specific gravity didn't improve too much. The doctor said not too worry, the improvements we see are more important then what the lab does.

Very glad her outward symptoms are improving. Concerning treatment with Anipryl, it is a good place to start but please be sure to continue to do follow up ACTH stim tests. Do not let the vet tell you it is not needed because you are using Anipryl. Elevated cortisol is a serious problem & taking Anipryl will not negate that. Anipryl is not a bad drug but you must make sure it is helping lower the cortisol levels.