Gus Is Home

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

03-12 @ 9pm Gus just got home. He did really well today and is still a bit groggy. He's sleeping on his bed as I type :wub:

This is going to be long, so if you stay with me to the end, give yourself a pat on the back. This is the cliff notes version:

It's believed that his diagnosis is degenerative or inflammatory polyneuropathy as they've pretty much ruled out it is not cancerous, as they found no tumors or lesions during the MRI and no signs of such matters during the EMG. What is neuropathy? In a nutshell it's the deterioration of the myelin that surrounds the nerves as well as some of the nerves, thus slowing the signals to his muscles and to his brain.

It's actually affecting all limbs, pretty equally (we've never paid attention to his odd gait with his front legs because of his corns - kind of kicking myself a bit because of this)

How did he get it and Where do we go from here?

How he got it is unknown. It could be age, genetics, metabolic or idiopathic reasons or all of the above.

Where do we go. Well there are 3 things that can be done: 1st is a muscle and nerve biopsy to find out why he has the neropathy. however 80% of the biopsies usually come back idiopathic. The neuro kind of indicated and I feel that at 13.5 years of age, knowing what kind of neuropathy it is, isn't really going to make that much of a difference as the treatment isn't going to differ.

the 2nd thing is anti inflammatory steroid treatment. It's not too invasive has little side effects and will either help or do nothing. The only caution if it is an infectious neurophathy, taking steroids could cause it to progress faster ( 5% chance) We discussed this at length and feel this might be the way to go. It's less ivasive and can be stopped should it not work or cause his symptoms to worsen. Also he will be taking acetyl l-carnitine to help enhance nerve function.

the 3rd is to do nothing. Option 3 will happen if option 2 doesn't work.

Gus is having further thyroid testing done, because low thyroid can mimic these sypmtoms. Gus will continue to go to therapy, while he won't get better, it may help him stay the same and keep his strength. (much like persons with MS - maintain as much strength as you can)

How quickly will the disease progress? Unfortunately that's anyone's guess it could be months or years. Depends on what the steroids do and what his body does. The most important is his quality of life.

As far as his back pain: he has a slightly herniated disc at the lumbosacral junction. The neuro and ortho guys found it to be nothing to even worry about as it's not putting pressure on the spinal column. They feel his pain is probably more from the amount of manipulation he had yesterday and today. The good new is the MRI showed everything else to be normal and clear.

So, that's what we have on Gus. He won't be walking or running marathons this summer, but he will be catching sunrays and watching butterflies.

Thank you for all of your well wishes. They really did work. :)

Always,

Kerri and Gus :paw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to update you all on Gus. He's currently staying overnight at Tufts. They've got a litany of stuff planned for him tomorrow.

Today, they did a lot of gait studies, balance tests and strength tests. 2 doctors and 5 students surrounded him and ran him through the gamut. They even did Dr. Stack's test for LS, he stood tall and strong,(ok, really he just stood) so they are relatively certain it is not that, but they aren't ruling it out. The neuro Dr. is most certain that it isn't tumor related (big sigh of relief) because his regression is so slow. They've taken blood to check for some metabolic things that could cause nerve/coordination issues. They were surprised that he is 13.5 years old. Everyone said he still looks quite young.

He settled down in the ward before I left and they gave him a nice little meal and he's now snoozing. (I called to check on him)

Tomorrow he has a very long day ahead of him. They'll be doing an EMG and Echo to start, some x rays and whatnot. If nothing comes conclusive of the tests to start, they'll end the day with an MRI. Let's hope he doesn't need the MRI. I'd rather have him home tomorrow sooner rather than later.

So that's where we stand. Nothing new really and nothing exciting.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the update. my thoughts are with Gus (and with you, too().

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've also been looking for updates on Gus. He is certainly in good hands. We are all hoping for good results from these tests and that Gus will be doing well again soon.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest HersheysMom

They are certainly being thorough. My experiences have been very good with Tufts - they'll take good care of him. I know you must miss him tonight. Hoping for the best tomorrow.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest RooRoo

I've been thinking about Gus non-stop since yesterday morning when we spoke. I wonder if they'll give him a lunch break right now after all his hard work today. :rolleyes: What a brave guy.

Sending more and more good wishes your way and his... I betcha can't wait until he's home. :couchjump

:kiss2 from Rizzo, Kiwi and foster girl Morgan

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Thanks everybody.

Gus is going into his MRI now. They did find some stuff on the EMG which I want to talk to the doc face to face about. They're calling my cell with updates and I hate talking on it, but I know I won't miss their call.

The reason for the MRI: his back is painful in a certain area, even under anesthesia, so they are going to find out why.

So, I'll keep you posted as I know more.

Thanks for the update we are still praying for GUS!!!! :bighug:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending my prayers for Gus, it is soo hard not knowing. :unsure

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Winterwish

The wait is really stressful Kerri,butyou're doing great, :bighug

Hopefully a clearer picture of what's going on will come thru'. :hope

Sending hugs to Gus thru' the ether! :dogcookie:heart

Edited by Winterwish