Omg I Just Had To Heimlich Luke!

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

I had just fed them both and was puttering in the kitchen peeling potatoes for us when Luke started making this weird gaspy noise. I stuck my head around the corner to see what was gong on and he was absolutely bug-eyed (you could see the whites all the way around his eyes) and pawing at his face, with his mouth wide open. I could see the end of a pig tail stuck clear in the back of his throat, but couldn't grab it. I still don't know whether the noise was choking or gagging, but it sure wasn't breathing!

I didn't even think, just reacted. I got behind him, grabbed his elbows and hoisted his front end up and put his front paws on the dining room table, then Heimliched him. It took four or five thrusts, then the pig tail popped out (and slid all the way across the table and bounced off the window curtain, then slid down behind the radiator-the comic relief portion of the event, I guess), Luke took a couple of deep whooping breaths, then growled at me because he doesn't like to be hugged, and I was still hugging him.

Jeez. *catches breath* My heart is still pounding! He's fine. Me? I'm sure my blood pressure will come back down sometime this week.

I helped him down off the table and he went back to his dinner, sans pig tail. He wasn't very happy that I wouldn't give it back, but I substituted it for a nice-easy-to-swallow blob of ground salmon.

Moral of the story: Keep an eye on your dogs when they're eating. I don't want to know what would have happened if I'd been three rooms away on the computer, with Luke gated into the dining room. And KNOW CPR.!

eta: Dear Universe, I'm all done with the drama now, thanks! Can I please have a couple boring days now in exchange?

Edited by FireHorse

Oh my, how scary!!! So glad that you kept a cool head and knew what to do.

Thank you for the reminder too, I'm always around when the dogs are eating, but I've started doing other stuff and just checking on them. I'll be sure to be more present from now on!

Good job mom!! Adult beverage time I think.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Great Job Mom!!! I am so sorry that happened, it must have been so scary. But you jumped right in there and saved him!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Well done you! What quick thinking, and no hysteria. I've had to do the Heimlich on a person and rescue breathing for a desert tortoise that was found on the bottom of a spa. I have to admit that I did a little panicing before the training I've had kicked in.

omg, how scary! thank goodness you were right there!

and the nerve of him growling at you :lol

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Talk about scary...I have CPR trainning but I have to admit, I don't think I would know how to perform it on one of my dogs. Something to think about seriously. He may have growled at you, but I bet he was proud of you. He just didn't tell you that

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FireHorse
did your house smell like pig ears since it slid behind the radiator? It must have given off a good smell..lol... all kidding aside, your an angel to him.

:lol No; fortunately it slid down near the end. I poked it all the way down with a long chopstick, then fished it out from underneath with tongs. Then I did the same thing with a soapy dishcloth. :D

Does anyone have a link to a picture of how to give a dog the heimlich? I know it is different for big dogs than small dogs. I think it is important information. You're a hero! :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest FireHorse
Does anyone have a link to a picture of how to give a dog the heimlich? I know it is different for big dogs than small dogs. I think it is important information. You're a hero! :)

It's pretty much like people-stand behind them, put your fists just under their breastbone and thrust. I think me propping him up on the edge of the table was just me. :colgate Here's directions (but no illustration-sorry) on how to do it. (linky.)

OMG...what a horrible scare. So glad all is well. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It's pretty much like people-stand behind them, put your fists just under their breastbone and thrust. I think me propping him up on the edge of the table was just me. :colgate Here's directions (but no illustration-sorry) on how to do it. (linky.)

Thanks for the link. I thought I remembered reading somewhere to actually lift the dog's hind legs to thrust behind the ribcage? Whatever you did worked though, so I'm sure there's many ways.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Two different sets of instructions. Both are in my kitchen.

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/dogcpr.pdf

http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/Health...h_maneuvers.htm

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Vinnie

Wow, very scary! So glad you were able to get the tail to pop out. I keep having the same mantra play over and over in my head that another greyt owner told me - if something gets stuck, your whole hand will fit down his/her throat so you can pull it out and/or dislodge the blockage. I don't know how true that is :dunno , but I like your way better. CPR is important for both your skinkids and your furkids. Great job! :banana:clap:banana:clap Hope he makes up for the growling later and gives you a thank you kiss instead :kiss2:kiss2

Guest FireHorse
Wow, very scary! So glad you were able to get the tail to pop out. I keep having the same mantra play over and over in my head that another greyt owner told me - if something gets stuck, your whole hand will fit down his/her throat so you can pull it out and/or dislodge the blockage. I don't know how true that is :dunno , but I like your way better. CPR is important for both your skinkids and your furkids. Great job! :banana:clap:banana:clap Hope he makes up for the growling later and gives you a thank you kiss instead :kiss2:kiss2

Our old country vet used to say that too, and that you could stop a biter by grabbing the base of the tongue and holding on. :blink: It wasn't something *I* ever wanted to try, but he saw enough barn dogs that I suspect he had the experience to know what he was talking about. I'd be afraid to push it down-what if it went the wrong way and got stuck in the lungs? That's an even bigger problem than choking, and not one you can fix at home.

I've been CPR/first aid certified since I was 12 (Girl Scouts, military service, daycare center, licensure requirements) but this is the first time I've ever had to use any of that in a crisis. I was fairly calm when I was doing it, but my hands shook for about 45 minutes after!

Wow, you did better than me when this happened to my guy. I stood in total fear trembling for what seemed to be an eternity while Missile choked on a normal size doggie biscuit. That was within a week after we got him. He wasn't used to biscuits it seems and he tried to scarf it down without chewing. It got lodged in his throat and he wound up with a scratched esolphagus. I printed the instructions with the picture and feel a little more adequate and armed now. Thanks for your story and for being such a model.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

Guest Merrygohounds

Way to go !!! KNowing me I would have stuck my arm down his throat and grabbed it. I wouldnt have thought of that.

GOOD JOB !