Need Advice: Possible Stroke/fce/gme/tick Disease

Guest nikkikaye

Oh NIkki, this is such great news. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts and sending good wishes for a full recovery. Please keep us posted!!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What wonderful news for you & Jasmine! :yay Only one problem - I don't recall seeing any :digicam:)

If you're thinking of hydrotherapy, have you seen greytdecals thread on her boy Alan? He did very well with his swimmies.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest nikkikaye

***UPDATE****

Jasmine is doing great. Walking like a drunk- but walking! She wants to go faster but loses her footing.... cant take the desire to run out of this hound :) Today she finally pooped- yeah! She actually let out a little log yesterday on the MRI table (yuck!) while she was out- but I think she did that because she thinks they charge too much for it .. tee hee. Seriously, it's a big deal for her to get in the poop squatting position and be able to hold it to get it out. Her legs shake like crazy and her butt is only like an inch off the ground (I helped by keeping her thighs steady) but she was able to do it- and I am so relieved. She has had about 3 urine accidents in her bed (laundry machines going non-stop...), but vet tech said it was probably from the steroids still in her system. It can take up to 7-8 days for the steroids to be totaly out of their system and can be the cause of incontinence. She does still have some issues. Her left side is the more affected side. She doesnt see whats coming so well from the left and has less balance on the left as well- while walking. She struggles to eat and drink. It's not that she is not thirsty/hungry, it's that she cant aim properly for the food bowls. Whether I put it up to her face or leave it on the ground, she has trouble negotiating it. i am not sure if she cant see it or if the brain is just not sending the signal to the muzzle to go for it and swallow. Obviously, the hunger brain signals are there because she is so hungry she is salivating (her ususal routine while I make dinner- salivate at the doorway hoping for scraps)- but when I get the food bowl to her, she is stumped! Wierd huh? i guess that is deep neurologic stuff that is going to take some time. She is, however, remebering her routines and is presently by the kitchen door, ready to assist with all matters relating to cooking. It's like she wants to do the things she has always done, but some of the most basic things are confusing the heck out of her. I am so happy. The vet techs told me she is recovering much fasetr than most dogs do from a stroke- although they keep telling me most dogs recover almost completetly- they just take longer. Go Jasmine. I wouldnt be surprised if she is walking steadily on her own by this weekend. More updates to follow. Thanks everyone. NIKKI

PS- I have the most hysterical picture of Jasmine (pre-stroke)- I just dont know how to load it up. If someone can email me at NikkiKaye@earthlink.net, I can email it to you and you can load it for me? It a good one. Sorry, I am a bit of a computer retard :lol

How scary for you! I'm so glad she is expected to recover. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hi Nikki,

I'm so glad you had the MRI to confirm it was a stroke. FWIW, one of my vet friends worked a lot as an ER vet and she told me that 99% of dogs who came to the ER with strokes or vascular incidents were greyhounds.

We've had a few hounds with strokes in our house. Dogs who get up like Jasmine did will be fine. We had one dog down 3 weeks and even he did OK in time, so take heart!

Do you have to give her aspirin or something else to prevent further strokes?

Marcia

Guest nikkikaye

I need some advice from the experienced people. I need rehab as turbotaina says- and yes we have a PT center next to my neurologist's office. I am going to check into the water therapy- it just sounds like it would help tremendously in rebuilding motor skills & coordination. She is truly motoring along like a champ so far- but this food bowl / not being able to reach down and grab food and eat is very unerving. Any ideas on how PT would work with neurological issues other than walking/running? My other real concern is what am I gonna do to prevent more strokes. She did not stroke because she is old or infirm. I suspect she has high blood pressure, but I dont think anyone has taken her bp yet! No kidding- not at the ER, nor at the neuro office appt- unless they took it while she was under the short acting anesthesia she had for the MRI. She is a nervous greyhound, always has been. She is always hot- no matter how high I crank the AC, she pants, while Ben (her brother) and I shiver under blankets with socks and jackets on. I always thought it was funny that she runs so hot and we run so cold- but I never thought much more about it. We always jokingly called her the menopausal greyhound- constantly having hot flashes. I am now convinced this must have something to do with this stroke- but I cant figure out the connection. MZH mentions aspirin- is that what I need to ask about? One of my vet tech friends said that it is not uncommon for them to stroke again if you dont get at the source of the problem. Other than blood pressure- which we are having checked at 5pm today- both greys- can anyone tell me tests that I can have done to determine what caused the stroke so we can work on prevention? Thanks everyone. Today has been a good day- all signs positive- but she has eaten very little since Saturday- maybe the equivalent of one or one and a half meals. I hand fed her a bunch of salmon last nite- but I had to literally put it in her mouth before she started chewing and swallowing. NIKKI

since you are too new to PM members, I emailed Dr. Feeman this thread to see if he can offer some advice...

hugs and prayers :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Nikki - consult with the OSU Health & Wellness program - greyosu@osu.edu. Greyhounds do tend to run higher blood pressure. Dr. Couto has done a study on this and he'll be well equipped to give you and your vets sound advice.

There are many types of physical therapy, just as there are for humans. Once you're ready to begin, talk to a PT or rehab vet and have them tell you what they can and cannot do for Jasmine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck! :goodluck

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You definitely need to find out if she has any predisposing factors setting her up for a stroke. Blood pressure, general bloodwork and clotting times (see if she is hypercoagulable) would be a reasonable start. I would definitely discuss this with your neurologist! Here is some good information on strokes that should help you with your conversation.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2354

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest nikkikaye

:unsure ****UPDATE****

We found out Jasmine is extremely hypertensive. Jasmine has had 2 blood pressure readings and one was 200, the other 220. Neuro says we have to get on bp pills right away. As far as physical mobility- today is Friday (stroke was sometime between sat nite and sun mornng) and she is walking on her own- even trotting after squirrels! She still has an obvious weakness on one side, but she is getting around with no probs. She has, however, lost a lot of weight. She has gone from 72 to 65..... this worries me. She still cant eat out of a food bowl. I have to hand feed her. The food has to come from up high and go into the mouth. I plan to talk to a rehab/PT about this. As for technical diagnosis of the incident, MRI report said "Stroke in rostral cerebellum, just right of midline". just FYI. I have high hopes for more recovery.

Photos of Jasmine, from Nikki: :)

HappyViviHalloweenMedium.jpg

That my just be one of the best all time Stink-Eyes on this board. :lol

Keep up the good work Nikki - glad to hear she's improving quickly!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

:unsure ****UPDATE****

We found out Jasmine is extremely hypertensive. Jasmine has had 2 blood pressure readings and one was 200, the other 220. Neuro says we have to get on bp pills right away. As far as physical mobility- today is Friday (stroke was sometime between sat nite and sun mornng) and she is walking on her own- even trotting after squirrels! She still has an obvious weakness on one side, but she is getting around with no probs. She has, however, lost a lot of weight. She has gone from 72 to 65..... this worries me. She still cant eat out of a food bowl. I have to hand feed her. The food has to come from up high and go into the mouth. I plan to talk to a rehab/PT about this. As for technical diagnosis of the incident, MRI report said "Stroke in rostral cerebellum, just right of midline". just FYI. I have high hopes for more recovery.

What are you hand feeding her right now? If her stomach is doing well, I would hand feed meat - just ground beef might be good. Something a bit higher in nutrients to put some of that weight back on. You could make her little meatballs. Hard-boiled eggs are another good option, and they're easy on the stomach. The eggs might be tough to get into pieces small enough taht she can get htem down without it getting really messy though - maybe scrambled instead? I would be concerned about the weight loss too if you can't get her eating better immediately. There are others on here who may have better suggestions, but thought I'd throw that out there until PT can start to have an effect.

How is she with drinking? If she's drinking well, pedialyte or ensure or some other liquid drink with nutrients would be another good idea, in addition to the above if you can manage it.

Glad to hear she's actually trotting around though, that is incredible! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Shannon

I am so glad to hear that she is doing better. I too was originally told that dogs dont have strokes but my dog did. She also looked like she was in a coma, she didnt respond at all. I thought for sure that was it. I took her to a neurologist and had an MRI and a spinal tap. Yes it was a stroke. Hang in there, it was a long slow recovey but that was 2 years ago and my girl is going strong. I have a grey and a golden retriever and this happened to the golden. What really seemed to be the key was the prednisone they put her on. Then I kept a log of every day what she did. Little by little she came back to her old self.

Hello,

Thank you so much for this post, as it gave me much needed hope for my 10 year old Grey, Jazzy. She has the same exact symptoms which you described. Her event was Thursday morning and I just got to bring her home last night. For the first two days I was in tears because there was no improvement whatsoever, but last night when I picked her up she seemed alert and trying to stand up. She can only sit up in her "diva" pose, but now I have hope she can make a quick recovery.

She was drinking a little bit from her wold last night when I brought it to her, and this morning she was doing her normal "wheres daddy" whine. Every little bit helps. I can't get her to eat yet, but shes always been a notoriously picky eater.

I wish you and yours a fast and speedy recovery.

Once again, thank you!

Mac

Guest Dillymom

omg- I cried reading through all of this. I'm so happy to hear that your girl is recovering so well. You handled it so much better than I would have. I hope pt goes well and you can get some weight on her soon.

• 1 month later...
Guest nikkikaye

:colgate

Just a note to let everyone know what happened with my stroke victim Jasmine... It is May 9th today (about 2months since stroke) and Jasmine is doing greyt! She is about 85-90% back. She does have some loss of mobility since the stroke. i am not sure if it is partly due to age- or from the stroke, or if it will get better as time goes on. Specifically, she has a lot of balance issues- ie takes her time to get up and stop wabbling on her feet, she walks really slow on uncarpeted/non-traction surfaces ( which is a grey thing- I know- but she never did it before), still moves a bit "sideways" (we've been jokingly calling her "Sideways sally" :lol ), she can no longer take a running jump into the back of my jeep liberty. Additionally, she gets tired much quicker now. again, this could be age, but I think it may be more stroke related. She cant run herself hard on the beach like she used to pre-stroke, but thats OK- we go for long walks on the beach and that suites me fine. She does get bursts of energy and takes off, but less frequently than pre-stroke. Her personality is 100% back. She is as stubborn as ever! She even bit her bro for the 1st time ever last week when he challenged her for the "best bed". She has never bitten before and I worry but it was pretty harmless and I think he was testing her top dog position due to her obvious frailty and she nipped that thought in the bud!!!! Anyways, thanks for all the support and greyt emails from everyone. I will try to remember to post a 6 month and 1 yr update as well- just for the benefit of the "case study". Nikki

oh- and PS- she began eating fine and is back to her ususal weight- still a finiky eater- but nothing more than before

Guest MZH

So nice to hear good news!

Would you mind telling us what you've been doing to nurse her back to health? Meds? PT? Foods? Whatever? We just want to know the secrets of your success. :)

I ask because we had a Greyhound who had a stroke at 6.5 years of age. He didn't get up for 3 weeks and barely ate. When he recovered he also walked sideways at times and liked to walk near walls. He was also dxd with high blood pressure but didn't stay on BP meds. I think we made a mistake in that dept but his BP was "only" 165 -- nothing like her 200!

Marcia in SC