Dempsey Update

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey is continuing to do well and do "new" things again and again. He can almost get himself into a roach now but has a bit of trouble maintaining it for long. He is still working hard on lifting a leg to pee on trees and can do that for a few seconds now before losing his balance. These are the important things in life to him.... :)

We checked his weight on Friday and he was up to 60 pounds. His hip bones don't stick out anymore and he doesn't look like he's sick now. The second chemo treatment didn't seem to be as hard on him as the first- thank goodness for Cernia! His appetite has been good and we've been switching him over to EVO, which he seems to love, for the time being at least. He's gotten plenty of cookies and doggie ice cream to help with the weight gain. His hair is slowly starting to grow in where he was shaved for surgery and for the pain patch on his back. My 4yo niece and the girls who live next door keep asking when a new leg will grow back. :) My niece was over a few weeks ago and explained to us that Dempsey has to earn his leg back the way she has to earn toys back when she's been misbehaving!

We have great weather today and could finally go for a real walk and went around the block which is the furthest he's gone since the amputation. I think he may have gotten a bit tired but he was definitely excited to get out and have some new things to sniff and pee on.

I looked at some pictures of when we first brought Dempsey home and couldn't believe that he, and we, made it through the first few days or even the first two weeks. It was definitely worth it though and I guess you just do what you have to do. I'm so thankful to still have him with us and hopeful for many more good days to come.

Heather (and Dempsey who keeps coming in here to whine at me to get OFF the computer!) :)

Guest ss556

Well it sounds like he's adjusting and doing well. That's great. I'm sure the walk was good for him and you! Keep up the good work Dempsey!

I'm so glad to hear the positive update on all the new things Dempsey can do! Keep up the good work Dempsey! :yay

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest CyndiW

I love reading your Dempsey updates!! So glad he is doing well and life is back to "normal" for both of you. Odysseus learned to roach again but he always roached up against the sectional after the amp. The extra support let him lie upside down for as long as he liked!! He just threw that one leg right up against the side and let it all hang out. I sure wish I had taken pics but I will always remember.

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

What a strong boy.....way to go Dempsey! Deuce continues to send his healing thoughts and wishes from one Survivor to another :colgate

What a happy pupdate! :D Keeping your boy in my prayers for continued good health and loads of quality time with his loving family. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I love reading Dempsey updates too. He's a strong, brave boy, and I'm so glad he's doing well.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

great to hear "what is important to him" is comming back to him. Your niece seem precious I wish they could earn a leg back but he does have his loving parents so tht means more.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

What a wonderful post (important things in life :lol ). Glad to know your niece is there to explain & get things sorted out. Continued good wishes for you & Dempsey!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

ack. My 4yo niece and the girls who live next door keep asking when a new leg will grow back. :)

That is so funny, because my nieces asked the same thing! They heard my sister talking about cancer and the 6 years old, was, like, "who has cancer?" They shouldn't know these words at such a young age :( But they said that we should just take him to the doctor and everything will be okay... how sweet.

It's great to hear that Dempsey is doing well. I think back to when we were going through it with Carrier and I cherish those days of caring for him and watching him become himself again. They are super.

hugs to you dempsey.

Great job Dempsey!! ^_^:thumbs-up

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

:yay:yay:yay I am so Happy to hear the Great News! Keep doing great Dempsey!!!!!! You can do it!!!!! :confetti

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter