Accidents

Guest dauphinelaura

Guest dauphinelaura

Last night I was bringing the dogs to my friends house to watch the Oscars. I parked and looked in the back seat to make sure Oni's head wasn't sticking out. It wasn't, so I started rolling up the window. Apparentely her tail was partially out the window and it got caught. She yelled and I rolled it down. It happened so fast that I didn't really think anything was wrong afterwards until I ran my hand down her tail and my hand is covered in blood. I feel like the worst person on the planet right now. I've been crying ever since and this morning I took her to the vet and he said she has to get the end of her tail amputated. He tried reassuring me that "It happens all the time!" but it is to no avail. I can't help feeling like a monster. It was a complete accident and now my baby has to get 2 inches cut off her beautiful, helicopter makin' tail! :weep So she is in surgery today and I hope everything goes well. I'm sure it will I'm just really nervous. My poor baby...I'm leaving work early to go get her.

Well, I guess I just had to tell somebody, please send your loving, healing vibes this way, my baby needs it. :sad1

I can tell you that my old dog, not a grey, but a wonderful happy boy with a very long tail, had to have two inches amputated because he had a case of happy tail the proved IMPOSSIBLE to heal. After it's healed, you won't even know the difference, and neither will she.

Don't beat yourself up.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FullMetalFrank

My poor Frank got his tail caught in the storm door once; he was stuck inside, and I was on the outside trying to get him out, the harder he pulled the worse the door jammed and he was screaming the whole time, it was awful. We got very lucky, the "stuck" part was right on a vertebrae and his tail didn't suffer a break, just lacerations which healed (slowly, but they healed) It happens... Try not to beat yourself up too bad! Sending healing tail vibes your way!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest dauphinelaura
My poor Frank got his tail caught in the storm door once; he was stuck inside, and I was on the outside trying to get him out, the harder he pulled the worse the door jammed and he was screaming the whole time, it was awful. We got very lucky, the "stuck" part was right on a vertebrae and his tail didn't suffer a break, just lacerations which healed (slowly, but they healed) It happens... Try not to beat yourself up too bad! Sending healing tail vibes your way!

Oh no that sounds awful! Thank for all your replies, I can't wait to pick her up and get her back home.

Oh poor baby!!!

When I was a brandy new hound owner I didn't realize at the time that Brindle had her head out the window in the back of my SUV. I thought she had brought it in and I rolled it up. Then I heard all this thrashing in the back of the vehicle. Can you imagine my horror when I saw that I was choking my dear girl?!!! :eek (it took only a fraction of a second.) Luckily, no harm done. Just a petrified mommy and scared dog. But, it never seemed to affect her as she continued to stick her head out the window in the future.

This exact thing happened to a littermate of my Jilly's. He is just fine and so will be your sweetie. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

there was someone on here, quite a while ago, I think, whose dog got their tail caught in the door. they didn't realize it and the dog didn't even scream, but I remember the person feeling that the door didn't shut tight, so they pulled it harder. the dog still didn't scream and then the person noticed part of their dog's tail laying on the floor! so, it could be worse :P she'll be fine :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

John E lost about an inch of his tail after he got it caught in the crate in a very freak accident. He healed fine and no one would have even noticed the slightly shorter tail. He was just never a candidate for a longest tail contest.

I hope your girlie will be fine. Don't beat yourself up Accident's happen.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest dauphinelaura

Thank you so much, you've all made me feel a little better! I got her home last night, she was groggy but really excited to be home. Unfortunately she gets wild cases of helicopter tail and we need to be careful because I'm sure it'll REALLY hurt once she smacks it into something! She doesn't seem to hate me, and that's a plus, not that she knew it was my fault or anything! It makes me realize again how fragile they really are. I always knew but this is really an example of it. Thanks again you guys. :grouphug