Definition Of Senior Grey

Guest Redrabbit

Guest Redrabbit

Buster went for his annual exam yesterday and the doctor made the comment that he "was on borrowed time" because he turns 10 this summer. Buster is in fantastic health. This is a vet who has greys? I thought a grey's life expectancy is 12 to 14 years??? He wants us to start coming back every six months for check-ups. I guess I just didn't expect these comments yet. Ok...vent over.

Rachel

post-2807-1203467142.gif

My Aggie's 13 and she just got a clean bill of health with no reference whatsoever of "being on borrowed time". I might have to consider getting a new vet after a comment like that.

He's a beautiful boy by the way : )

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest savvyprchick

Yeah, I'd consider a new vet as well. I'm not sure if my dog was in perfect health if I would do visits every six months. And 10 isn't that terribly old for a greyhound. Senior, yes. Borrowed time? Well, in a sense, we all are on borrowed time and no one knows how much time any of us have.

Your baby is beautiful. I feel your vet was very inaccurate and totally wrong unless there is something he knows you don't!

For someone who has greys I'm surprised he said something so ignorant. As far as insensitivity, that's another story.

MANY people on GT have seniors who don't even know they are seniors. Come to think of it, I'm one of them. My Polli, age 9, mom to my Beau is one of the pack,. Infact, when given the chance to run and play SHE will run with Chloe and Teddy (younger) while her son, Beau (age 3.5) pees on every bush. Given the chance to run or pee on new bushes, the peeing wins fro Beau.

Polli is picky with eating, but from what her ex-owner told me, she has been from birth.

Enjoy your boy. I hope you have many more years together!

Robin

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

you should ignore your vet. that comment was just a WEE bit insensitive as well as inaccurate.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IGmom4now

How old is your vet? Maybe he/she is projecting.... :unsure

I have two IGs 11 and 12 (different life expectancy, true) 51 weeks apart. The older girl is showing her age in ways the boy is not. I think like with people a lot of factors figure into aging and longevity: genetics, diet, environment, etc.

At "70", your dog is not "on borrowed time" without some sort of health crisis. Sheesh, what an insensitive dummy...

My youngest just turned 11 and oldest will be 13 in July. I sure hope they don't know they are seniors (and on borrowed time) because they sure seem like goofy puppies to me. The oldest doesn't know how to walk calmly in the house - he runs as fast as he can, takes a flying leap onto the porch, and continues his run in and through the house when I open the back door. His enthusiasm and energy make me laugh every time.

Guest greytelectric
Buster went for his annual exam yesterday and the doctor made the comment that he "was on borrowed time" because he turns 10 this summer. Buster is in fantastic health. This is a vet who has greys? I thought a grey's life expectancy is 12 to 14 years??? He wants us to start coming back every six months for check-ups. I guess I just didn't expect these comments yet. Ok...vent over.

Rachel

post-2807-1203467142.gif

Borrowed Time??? Borrowed Time???? Get another vet!

Buster is very handsome. My crew would disagree. My seniors 12 and 13 wouldn't like that comment. They are full of LIFE. I do however, take mine in for senior visits 2x a year just to be careful.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest houndlover

Buster is very cute! If you really like your vet then I would take his/her comment with a grain of salt or ask for clarification. A friend of mine is a vet tech at my vet office and they also recommend that people with "senior" pets bring them in every 6 months as opposed to 1x per year b/c she said that things can change so quickly as they age. I definitely think that it is a personal preference as to weather you want to bring your pet every 6 months. I do not bring mine every 6 months for a check up but I am at the vet once a month for nail trims so if I have a question/concern, I bring it up then and make an appt as necessary. I would not consider your boy being on "borrowed time" though. It sounds like he is healthy and happy! :)

Foxy is 13 and although she has LP she still only goes in if she needs to and for an annual.

Your baby is beautiful.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Buster sounds like he's doing great and is not on "borrowed time" by any means! When I adopted Phoenix at 12 1/2, I just didn't know how much more time I'd have with her. Well, she's now at 15 yrs. 9 months and still going strong. Am planning to take her to Kanab in May if she's still feeling as good as today. :) Will starting planning her sweet 16 party soon... :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Borrowed time???

Maybe you should print this thread out and give it to him to read! :lol Borrowed time at NINE YEARS OLD?? Sheesh, poor Buster isn't even ten yet and he has him with one paw in the grave!

I lost my beloved Jim at thirteen and a half, with congestive heart failure. It was only in the last three months that we felt he was living on borrowed time, and that was because the cardiologist had given him an estimated 4-6 months, which turned out to be quite accurate. But yes, 12-14 years is the average life-span for a greyhound, so he was getting on for the top end of that.

I have one here who will be thirteen this summer, and he thinks he's still a pup. Jack has no health problems other than arthritis and teeth/gum issues. Once they get to this age, I'll watch them like a hawk for problems and take them in as soon as I see anything unusual, otherwise I'll just do a geriatric blood panel once a year.

The other one, Renie, is nine, like Buster. She has a second career going as a therapy dog! She has no health issues either! She's my youngster! :lol

We did lose one at just shy of ten, but she had cancer, and that can strike at any age. I wouldn't take any notice, except that as others have said, it might be worth asking for clarification, or even changing to a more grey-savvy vet.

Could be he has a practice policy of encouraging the over nines to come for checks every six months, but while nine might be the 'official' senior milestone, it ain't so for every breed. Can you imagine telling a terrier owner that their dog was living on borrowed time at nine years old? They'd laugh in your face, I think. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well, I live in a house of seniors. Only 1 under 10 at the moment. When they hit 10 we do take them in for semi- annual bloodwork every 6 months. It's a good way to keep an eye out for any changes.

As far as the comment "on borrowed time" I'd find a new vet, that's incredibly insensitive to make such a remark.

And to rebut his borrowed time statement - The puppers in my house - 14, 13, 11.5 10 and 9.5 years old. Definitely no borrowed time here.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Weird remark. I do agree that it might be worth taking them in twice a year for some basic checks, but if they've had no health problems and you're an owner who tends to notice (and act on) "something just isn't quite right," it wouldn't make me think you're a bad owner not to do it. I don't.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow!

My oldest Greyhound is 14.8yo. She has no health problems expect some weakness in her backend, but she is a retired brood Mom. She only takes Glucosamine.

10yo is just the start of senior years, but borrowed time??? Not really.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Believe it or not, I had one live to be 17! He was mostly blind and deaf but still a sweetie-pup! He finally started acting strangely (kind of bumping into a wall and then just standing there with his head resting against it, almost trance-like), and his mobility really started to suffer, so we finally put him down.

My oldest now is 13, has slowed down, and has really weak hip and leg joints such that he cannot stand for long without his hind-end sinking to the floor. He stopped coming up the stairs a few years ago. Other than that, he's fine. My next oldest just turned 11 and has a totally rotten mouth and has gotten cranky in her old age (if another dog starts to get up on the couch with her, she growls and carries on like she's being attacked - but never snaps), but she still bounds up the stairs to sleep on our bed and tries to keep up with the younger ones.

Age is a state of mind. Your boy is only as old as he feels, and it sounds like he feels pretty good!

Darius will be 15 on 3/3 and just maybe he is on borrowed time. I started bringing him for his Senior Wellness when he was 12, yearly.

When he was almost 14 I started doing it maybe every 6 months. And now I dote on him daily. He is such a comic! And we have had some scary moments but right now he is just fine, a bit skinny but just fine.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest rubysdad
Yeah, I'd consider a new vet as well. I'm not sure if my dog was in perfect health if I would do visits every six months. And 10 isn't that terribly old for a greyhound. Senior, yes. Borrowed time? Well, in a sense, we all are on borrowed time and no one knows how much time any of us have.

Seems like a lot of greyhounds see their vet more than twice a year. Even healthy ones.

Guest HersheysMom

Rachel,

I think the comment was extremely insensitive for a vet to make. Please don't let it bother you. The truth is different greys age quite differently, and Buster sounds like he's doing great!

I have heard a rumor, if you can get them past 7 then you are doing good and they could be around till 14 years but then look at the 20-year old ground so don't let it upset you, you never know............ :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter