Alex's Pathology Report Is In.

Guest CyndiW

The vet said it is more rare than multicentric lymphoma and it is very aggressive. Pred only will give him about 4 weeks. I am really scared but we have decided to try some chemo with the pred. He starts Wednesday with Elspar and then Vincristine next Monday. If he has many side effects that last long, I won't take him for any more. I know he may be sick or tired for a day or two but he is really too weak/thin to handle much. I haven't met the oncologist yet but she taught at Ohio State in the 90s (internal medicine, oncology, and hematology) according to the center's website so I feel that she will do what is best for him and monitor him closely.

My gut tells me to just do the pred and say goodbye sooner than later. However, my husband is overseas and will be home in 4 months. He wants to be able to say goodbye also but neither of us want Alex to suffer for our own selfishness. That is what makes this so hard and my heart is just not ready to say goodbye yet (of course it never will be). I am hoping that his reaction to chemo will let us know what to do either way. Either he will continue to become weak or the chemo will fight back the cancer a bit so he can gain some weight/strength. I guess there is really no other way to do this except take it day by day and love/spoil him as much as possible.

For now, he seems fairly content - eating lots of cottage cheese, soaked kibble, and baby food. His diet is so tricky because he has to have very soft food because of the esophagus mobility issues, low-fat food for pancreatitis, and now I want to watch his carbs and increase his protein because of the cancer. It is really hard to find things that he wants to eat and that fits all those requirements. Right now he is craving the cottage cheese and so far it seems to be agreeing with him well. He is still playing and gets excited about the normal things - me coming home, meal time, company, etc. but some of this is probably the pred helping out.

I'm so sorry about his diagnosis. Sounds like you're doing the right thing, taking it one day and one treatment at a time. Bonnie did her first chemo treatment today (vincristine and cytoxan) and did really well. You just never know. I hope Alex tolerates the chemo and it will buy you some more time with him. Good Luck. Give him a hug for us. Let us know how things go on Wednesday. We'll be thinking of Alex this week.

I'm sorry. I hope the chemo gives you more quality time together.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm sorry.

Will he eat chicken or turkey or fish? Those are high protein with very little fat (depending on the type of fish). I fed Batman a lot of chicken -- poached, then pureed in my cheap blender. Had to add some of the poaching water to get it well mooshed up with no chunks. Could do the same with fresh/frozen fish.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry. Sending my many prayers. There are some babes with intestinal lymphoma doing very well on chemo. Please join the yahoo group lymphoma heartdogs. Know that you both are in my heart and my prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry for the diagnosis. I hope he will continue to feel well for a long time. Hugs for both of you.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry... sending prayers for Alex. :hope

Alex only knows the here and now, he does not know anything but how he feels right now. You will know what is right for Alex. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

He is eating a full meal about every 2-3 hours. I am hoping to build him up as much as possible for tomorrow's chemo. I have already contacted Dr. Couto. He said we are in very good hands with Dr. Valerius. He asked for his records so he can tell me more on treatment options/prognosis. I am going to wait until after she does another ultrasound tomorrow so she will be able to tell him more. He said one dose of Elspar should not cause pancreatitis (which was a big concern for me). Thank you so much for the kind words and words of wisdom/experience.

Guest snowberry

Organ meats, liver, kidney, heart, are all low-fat - if you cook them, then put them in the blender with a little beef stock or some form of liquid, you'll get something he can lap up. Not for everyday, but it's highly nutritious - unless your vet's already said they're bad for pancreatitis? (Sorry, don't know much about diet for pancreatitis.)

:grouphug Here's hoping the chemo gives him some quality time.

I am sorry to hear of your boy's diagnosis. My 11 year old grey was diagnosed with GI Lymphoma last September. Flash was very thin but had a healthy appetite. I used cottage cheese and canned EVO for him. I opted for just prednisone and various meds to control his diarrhea. Flash lived an additional 7 months, he did well up until the end. I hope your boy does well and you have much more time with him. Good luck and I will keep you both in my thoughts.

Linda, Keeva, Valor and Bella