Mandibulectomy From Oral Fibrosarcoma

Guest itdoesnotmatter

Guest HeatherDemps

Mara,

I'm so sorry to hear about these difficulties. It sounds like the people at the clinic are not being very helpful or sympathetic! I hope that you get better information and prognosis today. Have you tried giving Mattie vanilla Ensure or Boost? This is what I did with mine when he wouldn't eat much after chemo. I'm assuming she is drinking water still even though not eating, so maybe she'd drink this? At least then she is getting a bit of calories in her.... Continued prayers...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry to hear about Mattie and her surgery. Hang in there - Dr. Couto and his clinic are indeed a wonderful resource - are they aware that Mattie is acutely ill? Perhaps another call will help? Sending good wishes to you both.

I'm so sorry you and Mattie are going through such a difficult time. I will keep you both in my prayers. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Oh my! I don't know how I missed these messages. I am heartbroken to hear about all the trouble Mattie and you are having. I have no suggestions but wish the professionals involved would have handled things differently. And, to be blunt surgery is supposed to improve their quality of life not destroy it. Someone should've done a lot more explaining about what complications could be experienced before this surgery was even started!

That said, Mattie and you are in our thoughts and hoping for the best :hope

Edited by Fudge

:bighug :bighug :bighug

This is all very distressing for you all, and the waiting and not knowing can only make it harder.

If you feel like you can't remember to ask questions to get clear answers when you're there with the vet, worried, paying attention to Mattie, is there a friend or can DH go with you to help? Maybe even take notes? There's a lot to keep track of, I'm sure, but if they knew you wanted detailed answers maybe they'd be able to give them better?

Just a thought. I know it's helpful in lots of medical situations to have someone a little more objective there to keep track and ask question.

Good luck!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Each day, I check back and hope for better news, and my heart breaks to see that Mattie is still having such a difficult time---as you are too! I can feel your frustration and distress---please try to contact Dr. Couto again. I don't know your vets, but it just doesn't seem that they are doing well by your sweet girl. I was just wondering, since eating is a problem, is she getting any support fluids? If she doesn't eat or drink for a while, she really needs fluids so she won't get dehydrated. They can put a lot of nutrients in the fluid bag. If she can take any liquid at all, I'd second the suggestion of Ensure. And also what Xan suggested about having a friend accompany you. This is a LOT to be going through on your own.

Said a big prayer for Mattie and you this morning.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest trevdog

Oh no! I would be quite upset with this vet! Get in touch with Dr Couto again ASAP as well. I can't believe the vet that you would normally see did not stay to talk to you last night. You really need to seek out a local oncologist as well. Poor thing must be so uncomfortable!

Guest jettcricket

Oh dear....personally I would start questioning what these vets are doing. Do they know what they are doing? Poor girl and poor you. What is that metal object in her mouth??? Something just doesn't sound right. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Oh dear....personally I would start questioning what these vets are doing. Do they know what they are doing? Poor girl and poor you. What is that metal object in her mouth??? Something just doesn't sound right. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Ditto that .... Is there no one in a position of authority that you can talk to at the vet hospital? Will the surgeon not see you or return your calls?

Sending prayers and many gentle hugs to you and your sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest itdoesnotmatter

hello again everyone! well, i took mattie in to see the surgeon at noon. the metal thing in her mouth was the very same pin that had been coming through her cheek on the right side before. it was apparently moving around all over the place, so they removed it. dr mullen seemed to think that was the source of all our trouble, so we are not doing any surgery right now. we are hoping that the swelling will go down and she will start eating again today. i agree with all of you that these people are inept and i'm so unhappy with the care we've received. as soon as she heals from the surgery i will be taking her to another vet (but for now, they are responsible for follow-up care, and i can't afford to start over somewhere else). i still have the onco appointment on friday, so maybe that will help with the actual cancer prognosis. unfortunately dr. couto didn't really have any advice. all he said was "Yes; incompletely excised NFSAs tend to reoccur, but they may do so quite slowly." not exactly the information i was hoping for, but since i can't see him in person i suppose it's all he can provide.

if we can at least get mattie's mouth healed up and get her eating again i think things will be much better, even with the cancer. but the poor thing has to be able to eat and drink! i'm exhausted and frustrated but so glad i have an outlet through all of you. you've been amazing. i'll keep you updated, as always :P

-Mara

I'm so glad to hear Mattie doesn't have to have surgery again. Poor baby has been through enough (as have you). It really shows how much you love her and she's in good hands with you watching out for her. I hope that you are able to find vets that you feel comfortable with and who actually know what they are doing.

Hugs to both of you.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest luckydog

Are there any GT folks in the San Diego area reading this topic who can go with Mattie's mom when she goes to the vet? I've found that just having another calm head in the room who can ask all the 'hard' questions (and remember to ask them!) is a huge help to me.

Just saw this thread. I am soo sorry for all you and your pup have been going through. If you haven't joined Circle of Greys, check it out. It is a wonderful site (as is this one!) when you are dealing with a sick pup. I had many questions when my pup had osteo and I wasn't getting the answers from my vet - Circle of Greys and GT were so helpful. Make sure Mattie is getting good pain control!

Hugs and prayers for you both,

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest tricolorhounds

Oh dear... I'm so sorry to hear that Maddie is having problems and that your Vet is not being very helpful.

Start making a list of questions that you want to ask the oncologist on Friday so you are prepared.

We went through chemo with a kitty and the oncologist was very helpful and supportive as were his techs. They gave us their direct phone numbers for any time of the day or night when we had questions. Keeping my :goodluck that yours are as helpful

By the way... Which group did you get Maddie from? Can you contact your adoption rep to help you out?

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time getting answers and with getting Mattie better. Once the follow up care with your current vet's office is done, I would second the suggestion of trying Dr. Lewis in San Diego. She has oodles of greyhound experience and I can't see her not being able to help you get answers to your questions.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Argh! There was a pin moving around in her flesh and bone? Gee, I don't suppose that could hurt or anything! :rolleyes: OWWWW!!!

Well, that's the past. I so hope that she can find some peace from pain now, get some food in her, and start healing!!

If I weren't at the opposite end of the west coast, I'd come with you to your vet appointments. I hope you can find someone to come along!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest itdoesnotmatter

good morning to all. mattie had a somewhat better night last night. i got her to eat a small can of a/d and one of the peanut butter and banana yoghund treats my mom bought her. she bled a lot but i think the cold yogurt felt good on her tongue. this morning she had a small breakfast. the swelling under her tongue is still there but it hasn't gotten worse. i'm hoping that we have a good night tonight!

i will definitely call dr. lewis and try to get mattie in there for her next appointment when all of this is over. she deserves the best care possible! poor thing has been through so much, and i just hope she'll be able to recover mentally as well as physically. the light in her eyes is sort of gone (not helped by the fact that her daddy, who loves her very much and spoils her rotten, is away for six months). but i'm hoping that when she can start at least enjoying food again she'll perk back up. let's hope the next few days are uneventful!

thanks again to all. i'm going to be 28 next week but i still feel like i need my mommy through all of this! you guys have been a great substitute :)

-mara

Hm! Here's a thought... You said you think maybe the cold yogurt felt good to her? Maybe make some softy frozen ensure treats? For the nutrition and calories?

i'm going to be 28 next week but i still feel like i need my mommy through all of this! you guys have been a great substitute

I totally understand! :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Maybe you already mentioned "how" you are feeding Mattie. Just in case you haven't tried using a small syringe (with/out the needle, of course) to feed Mattie. I saw you were feeding the a/d...I used to add a little warm water and suction it up in a syringe to feed...you could probably do that with yogurt to but keep it cold since she likes the cold.

The syringe provides any easy way to get the food into the back of the mouth so that more is swallowed.

Keeping Mattie and you in our thoughts and prayers.