Older Dogs Having Accidents In The House

SAVED2

has anyone ever had problems with their "older" grey ....say 9 0r 10 years old having accidents in the house? Our Andy has started doing this the last 2-3 weeks. usually it was in the bedroom so we locked him out of there, so tonight he peed in the kitchen while I was doing the dishes. and he was just outside 1 hr. ago. if he did it everyday, then I would think it was a UTI, but that is not the case. it is every few days. any ideas on what is going on ? thank you, sharon

Quiet Man is 11 and has had to start going out more often and still occasionally leaks in his sleep. He had a full vet check and nothing was wrong. I did use belly bands for a while while I wasn't home and at night, that seemed to help. I am lucky to have a job that I can come home midday to let him out too.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest crazy4greys

My girl Autumn couldn't hold it all day when she hit 9-10. I would come home at lunch and had to make sure I wasn't gone for long periods unless I could have someone let her out for me.

There was not a UTI, just couldn't hold it for long periods of time.

I would rule out the UTI first also, then go from there.

Guest KennelMom

Our seniors - 9, 10, 12 and 13 have no problems holding it. Our oldest has the shortest limit and I've seen him go 10 hours (voluntarily - the longest time between turnouts is about the 8-9 hours overnight) - though he will have the very occasional accident where all of a sudden he needs to go and doesn't get outside in time.

Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior that can't be attributed to something specific (i.e. change in food, routine, etc...), I always want to rule out something medical - esp in an older dog.

Hey, Sharon, if you can get a first-of-the-morning sample when dog hasn't had water overnight, your vet will be able to check specific gravity as well as bacteria, etc. (Specific gravity is a measure of kidney function.) If you can't get the sample to the vet within @ 30 minutes, just pop it in the fridge until you leave.

If it's chilly there, could be he's not staying out long enough to get empty. Add age and not being able to hold it as long, et voila, accident or two when you least expect it.

Hope it turns out to be nothing much.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, I have had a greyhound with incontinence, sometimes it is that, and sometimes it can be kept under control with medication. I think our Maggie was about 9 when her incontinence began. It took me a bit to snap on what was happening, at first I just thought she had been licking the bed, but then it got to be more obvious. We have also had uti's so would make sure to rule that out just in case.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest houndlover

I agree that bringing a urine sample to the vet would be the 1st thing to do. I was having problems with my oldest dog having accidents in the house, got a urine sample and brought it to the vet. I thought for sure he had a UTI but to my surprise he didn't. The vet was extremely concerned though b/c his urine was not concentrated much at all. Come to find out I had started him on a new med, which caused he to be thristy and he drank so much water that he was flushing out his kidneys. I guess my point is, it is always best to take in a urine sample b/c it might be something that you don't even suspect.

Check for UTI first. When Tipper started peeing in the house it turned out to be diabetes. Since she is on insulin and we got it regulated the peeing stopped.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

I'm having a similar problem. Hobbes is 8 1/2, within the last month or so he has been having accident frequently. It's the same sort of thing, some days he can hold it an entire work day (9 hours). Other days he pees right in front of us after only being out a couple hours before.

He had a full work up by the vet. Although a UTI was never confirmed the vet sent me home with some antibiotics. He has been on them a 1 1/2 weeks but he still had an accident the other day in our elevator. Once the full course of antibiotics are done I'm going to bring him back to the vet. I'm worried that this is the start of incontinence, although he seems a little young for that.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I've seen quite a few seniors come up with negative urine samples yet respond to antibiotics.

The only one of mine who had a problem, was my kidney girl. Some of the others need to go out during the night. Quite a few don't. I've had 14 year olds hold it all night, and some 12 yr olds need to go out.

Did you change foods?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

After you've ruled out medical issues, you might consider training him to use a pee pad during the day. Nevada is 15+ years old with cushings disease. She uses her pee pad during the day. Can't ask for more from my elderly gal. :wub:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

My non-grey senior, Sheila, started having accidents in the house. At first blush the vet thought she had Cushings, it turned out to be SARDS (sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome) which initially mimics the symptoms of Cushings. With SARDS, the dogs suddenly lose their sight and slowly, very slowly, the Cushings symptoms dissipate. Wetting in the house and weight gain are hallmark symptoms of SARDS. A year later Sheila's wetting in the house happens only very occasionally. There is no prevention or treatment for SARDS, but Sheila is on an adrenal supplement because it can cause adrenal collapse.

Head to the vet and best to you and your pooch.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest houndlover
After you've ruled out medical issues, you might consider training him to use a pee pad during the day. Nevada is 15+ years old with cushings disease. She uses her pee pad during the day. Can't ask for more from my elderly gal. :wub:

Yes, that is a good idea too. I had been putting pee pads down when Billy was having accidents and he did use them. I was afraid that all of the other dogs would try to use them too but they didn't.