What Is The Protocol

for dentals?

What kind of pre-cleaning labs? What no-no anethesias? I

'm not too terribly comfortable with the greyhoundness of this vet. I will say, though, that he does listen to me when I either challenge or ask questions.

I think I just made up a new word.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest spider9174

I would call your greyhound group and ask for a greyhound vet they suggest to do your dental, a vet that regularly does dentals. Or call a the local Houston greyhound group, if you didn't get your grey where you live.

Personally, I would absolutely have a full blood work up done.

here is some information:

http://www.geocities.com/bo_freddy/anesthesia.htm

http://www.greyhoundresearch.com/research_...les.php?aid=255

from the greyound research.com website: http://www.greyhoundresearch.com/

Administering Anesthesia to Greyhounds:

* Never use thiobarbituates including Biotal, Surital, or Pentothal.

* Acepromazine is a safe and reliable preanesthetic tranquilizer in the greyhound.

* Diazepam and Ketamine combination or Telazole are safe IV anesthetic drugs to use for intubation.

* Isoflurane is the gas anesthetic of choice. It is exceptionally safe and recovery is rapid.

* Greyhounds should have IV fluids administered during all major procedures lasting longer than 45 minutes. The rate of infusion is 10 ml/kg/hour.

* Greyhounds are prone to hypothermia while under anesthesia and should be kept on a a heated water pad or another source of safe heat during surgery.

* There is no age limit for surgically spaying or neutering greyhounds, but proper presurgical workups should be done and all workups should include platelet evaluation. This will further insure the safety of an anesthetic.

Procedure

1. Give a dose of 0.1cc of Acepromazine subcutaneously 30 minutes before administering anesthesia. This will result in a smoother recovery.

2. Give atropine sulfate or preferably glycopyrrolate at the time of surgical induction with the intravenous anesthetic.

3. A reliable IV induction anesthetic combination consists of equal amounts of diazepam and ketamine drawn up in the same syringe. The calculated dose of this combination is approximately 1cc of the mixture per 10 pounds of body weight. Half of the calculated dose can be given a bolus, then administer just enough as needed to intubate. Telazole is a safe drug to use in place of diazepam and ketamine. It is does at 1cc per 100 pounds of body weight.

4. Isoflurane is then used at about 1.5 to 2 percent to maintain anesthesia.

NOTING THE REFERENCE and SOURCE information:

The source of this article is copyright http://www.gpa.mn.org

Have a blood panel done, but other than that I wouldn't worry. When I first started working with adoption I was careful to ask/ make sure the vets were aware of greyhounds and anesthesia. They all silently nodded until one said "M'am, with all due respect any vet that doesn't know about greyhounds and anesthesia has been under a rock for 15 years".

My vet was not greysavvy when I started going to him but he was referred as an excellent vet by GALTS main vet -- and he has been that. Between my dogs and GALTS he's pretty greysavvy now and he hasn't lost one.

A lot of vets run dental specials in Feburary. That is right around the corner so ask. :)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Our vet requires bloodwork for all dogs over the age of 6, but it is optional before that. I agree with hubcitypam - double check to be sure you're comfortable that the vet will look into anything he's unsure of, because that is the most important thing. My hound has been under anesthesia 6 times without any problems.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I believe most vets do a CBC, which is a basic blood profile, not a full blood chemistry (just basic kidney, liver, etc. values). You already got more detailed responses here, but propofol is Dr. Radcliffe's anesthesia of choose these days (he's the track vet out in Wheeling). It's what was recommended for Neyla after she had a reaction to another anesthesia.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Dr. Feeman's summary of anaesthesia for greyhounds is here:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...0Anesthesia.pdf

My current vets prefer propofol as the induction agent but it certainly isn't the only safe thing to use.

ETA: My vets require a senior bloodpanel (basic bloodwork) on everybody 8 and over. I usually take the opportunity to get "the works" -- full panel and accurate platelet count -- if I haven't had that done in the last year or if pup has had health concerns.

ETA some more: While dog is under, IV fluids are given; temp, respiration, heart rate, bp are monitored while under and thru recovery. Dog isn't released to come home until s/he can walk pretty well.

And, if the groomer is in and not too busy, you get a free nail trim while they're out :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dr. Feeman's summary of anaesthesia for greyhounds is here:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...0Anesthesia.pdf

My current vets prefer propofol as the induction agent but it certainly isn't the only safe thing to use.

ETA: My vets require a senior bloodpanel (basic bloodwork) on everybody 8 and over. I usually take the opportunity to get "the works" -- full panel and accurate platelet count -- if I haven't had that done in the last year or if pup has had health concerns.

ETA some more: While dog is under, IV fluids are given; temp, respiration, heart rate, bp are monitored while under and thru recovery. Dog isn't released to come home until s/he can walk pretty well.

And, if the groomer is in and not too busy, you get a free nail trim while they're out :) .

Gidge had a senior workup week between Christmas and New Year's as part of her annual. He doesn't see the need for the additional workup/expense.

He also told my husband that ever since we took them Dr. F's paper on corn hulling, he has been doing a lot of research on greyhounds. He knows how wierd I am :blush about anything concerning treating Gidge and has done his homework.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

The one thing I would offer up to you is if you are going to do a dental under aneasthesia, request that the dog be on appropriate fluids and monitoring throughout (it does cost extra some places).

A couple of dogs that I know of that got lost during dental/neuter were on correct gas, but not on either fluids or monitoring for whatever reason.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

The one thing I would offer up to you is if you are going to do a dental under aneasthesia, request that the dog be on appropriate fluids and monitoring throughout (it does cost extra some places).

A couple of dogs that I know of that got lost during dental/neuter were on correct gas, but not on either fluids or monitoring for whatever reason.

I agree. Any time my dogs are given anesthesia they are also given IV fluids.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg