Y Knot Onyx

Guest greytgreymom

Guest greytgreymom

This special boy came to Scott and I on September 12th of 2007. Burpdog made us aware of this boy and there was no question that he would come to join our family if the ladies in the adoption kennel at the Gulf Track thought it would be good for Onyx.

From what we understand, we were Onyx's fourth family. We were determined we would be his last. Onyx was well loved for the four months that he was with us. He was a cantankerous, stubborn old coot who when he had his mind up to do something, it was done, whether we liked it or not. Onyx was respected by the other Greyhounds. He entered our home like he owned it. Onyx filled a hole which had been empty since Old Fella had passed.

Over the past few weeks, we saw Onyx getting weaker and weaker. Finally, Sunday, Onyx would not eat and could not get up once he was down. He lost the sparkle in his eyes, his rear end wasn't working, and nothing we did would get him to eat more than a few bits of food. Scott and I made the hard decision to take him to the vet this morning to help him cross to the Rainbow Bridge.

But like always, Onyx did what he wanted to do and made the decision to leave us while all was asleep. In typical "Onyx" fashion though, he didn't go without a last hurrah, a loud fart and poop all over himself at 1:30 a.m.

Sometime between 2:00 and 6:00 a.m. Onyx left us. Scott and I just had to laugh as it was so like Onyx to get the last "word" and we were both glad that we had the opportunity to spend some quality time with Onyx even if it was to clean him up.

Life goes on, but Scott and I will be grieving for this special boy who brought special joy into what some would say is an overcrowded home. Scott buried Onyx beside Old Fella in the rain this morning. We rejoice in the short time we had with Onyx but know that he's at the Bridge waiting with Old Fella and lots of other Greybabies until the time we are all joined again.

Cheryl

post-3697-1200933510.jpg

post-3697-1200933534_thumb.jpg

Edited by greytgreymom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Cheryl, I am so sorry for your loss, :bighug

That said, I am touched by the love he went with, I am sure he flew to the bridge on the wings of your and Scott's love, with a smile on his face, and probably gas propelled. So many losses, so few words, none that heal, but know my thoughts are with you.

I am sure the Queen will whip him into shape quickly.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave Onyx what he needed in his final days & I hope his final gift to you will be one of smiles.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Oh Cheryl. It seems like he just got here. I am so sorry for the loss of Onyx.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest VelvetEars

It is a blessing and a sadness.... I am sure Old Fella is showing him how the "old guys" do it over there, and they're sharing stories about their time w/ you. Bless you for making sure his last months were knowing he was loved like the special guy he was.

Many hugs,

Meredith and Jackson, who liked the farting part the best.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for making the last months of Onyx's life happy ones. :grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so glad he had you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren