Loose Neck Skin

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Guest greyhoundrobbie

This is my first post. My 11 year old grey, Allie, is aging rapidly and has had a multitude of health problems. The newest is the skin on the bottom of her neck seems to have gotten loose in the past couple of days. I can't think of a less offensive way of saying this, but it is like what happens to the neck of some older women. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I found no mention of this in older posts and am concerned. She also has Lumbosacral Stenosis, which we know will progress to the point she can't walk. Thus, we are hypersensitive of every issue because we know she is already having trouble with the winter. Thanks for any insight.

Edited by greyhoundrobbie

First off welcome. It is hard when our pups age. I am ne expert but would say it is just normal but I am sure the other more knoweldgble ones will chime in.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest Winterwish

Hi and welcome! :):dogcookie

It goes sound normal for Allie's age.

When my grey turned about 11-11 1/2,his neck became like that too.

Just gives you another soft,snuggly spot. :wub:

but it is like what happens to the neck of some older women

hey, it happens to men, too :lol

I agree that it is normal...just like it is normal to happen to older women and men :P it probably didn't actually happen overnight, but just became more noticeable over time :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Yeah, it's pretty normal for older greys - you can see it fairly well in these pics, I think

JimApril4B.jpg

JimApril3.jpg

Jim was about twelve and a half there.

What you may find is that it's more noticeable if they get dehydrated. Is she drinking OK at the moment? If not, try adding some liquid to her dinner, or offer her unsalted chicken broth.

I'm sorry to hear she's failing and having so much trouble. The old ones certainly hurt your heart at times, but to me, it's worth it. They're such sweethearts. :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Aww, sometime I have to get a picture of Echo. She has the strangest neck skin (it can stretch out about six inches without any force).. but it too is starting to "loosen" in the front.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Thanks - I do feel better. She has just had so many problems the past few months, including a leg injury and some weird hack and a bad reaction to the antibiotics to treat it, that my wife and I are constantly paranoid. We already made the decision that we are not going to wait until she can no longer walk, so we just try to see how everything else is on an almost daily basis. The decrease in appetite worries us but based on what I read is normal (Allie is short for alligator because of how fast she ate when we first adopted her).

sometimes, when they get older you have to entice them with some extras in their food. have you tried adding anything special? like mackerel or something really smelly?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greyhoundrobbie
sometimes, when they get older you have to entice them with some extras in their food. have you tried adding anything special? like mackerel or something really smelly?

We boil chicken for her and mix it in, but if she eats too much we pay in accidents. We had been adding cheese (her favorite), but our vet said to stop that too. I hadn't tried mackerel or other fresh fish though. I think part of the problem is now she knows she will get extra if she doesn't eat her regular food (she was always too smart for a dog - she is the first one I ever had that can sequentially plot to get what she wants).

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Bad news update. I was still worried because I noticed she started to snore when she was clearly awake. Additionally, other people who love her agreed the neck thing just happened. We took her to the vet who immediately felt a lump in her neck. They took x-rays and clearly see a mass in her larynx. They suggested NOT doing a biopsy because of how difficult it would be for her and their feeling it is cancerous. Instead, they gave us Deramaxx, which should help with her lumbosacral stenosis. If it is an infection or swollen glands, the Deramaxx should help. They also said to take her off hard food and just give her easier to chew things. Making things worse, we are in the midst of a brutal cold chill and it won't be above freezing for at least 10 days and she has so much more trouble in the cold.

We asked the vet, who has known her for years, whether we should even leave the office. Her feeling was to at least try this for a week. She said realistically we will know regardless by the end of the week - either she improves or we will see a rapid decrease and just know.

It is ironic - the dog I had immediately before her died of a brain hemorrhage with no warning at all while my mom was dog sitting. I grieved over not being there and only adopting my Allie brought me out of it. Allie has been the opposite - for almost two years now she has been slowly going downhill for a multitude of reasons. My wife and I prepared ourselves knowing that her legs would give out - heck, before she was diagnosed we had moved into a condo with no steps because we noticed she was having problems. We never would have guessed something like larynx cancer.

I also want to say that I only just found this site and it has been a huge help. I have read other's stories - both the heartwarming and heartbreaking - and it is helping me cope just knowing what a great community greyhound families are to each other.

Edited by greyhoundrobbie

Guest greyhoundrobbie

She seems to be going through spurts of good hours and bad hours. At times she eats, but other times she ignores her favorites. Our wonderful vet actually agreed to stop by our house later in the week to check her out so we don't need to take her back yet. She had a couple of accidents at night, yet this afternoon she still galloped a bit. I think we all go through the debate of whether it is better to make the decision to do it too 'early' verses waiting an extra month when they tell you it is time - I am not ready to do it, but I don't want her to get to the point that she is in enough pain to have to ask.

Thanks for listening

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Cuddle and spoil that sweethart Miss Allie.... :kiss2:grouphug

She will tell you when it's time to let go. Looking into a greyhound's eyes you can see into their very soul. :gh_lay

Welcome to GT. I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances that we first meet you, but I think you've already seen what a supportive group this is.

I lost my almost 13 year old boy, Keno, a year ago this month. He had LS and LP (laryngeal paralysis) and his autoimmune system was completely failing at the end. It's such a helpless feeling. You and your wife have my utmost sympathy and empathy as you make this journey with your beloved Allie.

:grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown