Loose Neck Skin

Guest greyhoundrobbie

Guest greyhoundrobbie
Welcome to GT. I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances that we first meet you, but I think you've already seen what a supportive group this is.

I lost my almost 13 year old boy, Keno, a year ago this month. He had LS and LP (laryngeal paralysis) and his autoimmune system was completely failing at the end. It's such a helpless feeling. You and your wife have my utmost sympathy and empathy as you make this journey with your beloved Allie.

:grouphug

I am so sorry, but thank you for reaching out. I still don't know if it is a cancer, LP, infection or something else. I hate to ask you to remember bad memories, but was there one thing in particular you saw that made you definitely know it was time? Allie had an OK day, which actually makes this harder. It was a rare nice day in Chicago this winter so she insisted on a long walk, plus ate three large meals - she even guilted me give her half of my sandwich. When she sleeps, which is most of the time, she seems more peaceful since we started antibiotics. Yet, I know it is back to subfreezing weather tomorrow and am not sure I can keep deciding on a day-to-day basis, but just have not hit that point of "just knowing." All I keep wishing is that she can pass in her sleep so I selfishly won't have to make the decision.

Guest sweetpea

Brodie's (ancient rhodesian ridgeback) last year consisted of one health episode after another, we decided because of his age we only wanted to treat him with medicine, no surgeries.

I too, kept waiting for a sign. I too, kept hoping he would just not wake up. I was so torn between not wanting to give up too soon and not torturing him by hanging on too long. It was pure anguish. He was not in pain (that I know of), but everything was a collossal struggle for him, and his demeanor was so low; and then, he'd have a good day.

I was floundering, so I just tallied up how many good days he had versus the days I felt like he was just hanging on for me. It was a two or three to one ratio of bad to less-bad, I felt had to let him go.

I am so sorry for your sad situation. I hope that knowing you are part of a community of people who understand all too well what you're going through will bring you some comfort.

Buzzy