Bruce's Update

Guest LovesDoggies

Guest LovesDoggies

By way of background, my 2 year (and 2 month) old Bruce started to exhibit symptoms of imbalance, progressing to a "drunken gait", but otherwise seems quite healthy. The first time this happened, he was my foster, and the adoption group opted not to get a neurological consult, and instead treated with steroids. The steroids seemed to resolve his symptoms, but now, 2 mos. later, the neurologist says the steroids did nothing but mask his symptoms, and that he has had the same condition for these past 2 mos. (or longer).

Bruce spent the weekend at the hospital, awaiting an MRI, which was performed this morning. I may be slightly off in my reiteration of what the dr. told me, but this is my current understanding. He has inflammation in his cerebellum, which could be caused by cancer or encephalitis. He tends to think it is encephalitis because Bruce is so young and because he responded favorably to the steroids.

I was elated to hear encephalitis because I thought that meant a dose of antibiotics and we would be on our way to a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, it is not so simple. The encephalitis could be either infectious or an autoimmune disease. He tends to think the latter, also because of Bruce's age. He said he would not suspect the infectious form in dogs over age 1. They took a blood sample and will test for various forms of infectious encephalitis, if for no other reason than to rule those out as possibilities, although it is also possible that he could have the infectious form, but that they would not show up in the test results.

Assuming it is autoimmune, Bruce will receive a low dose of steroids for as long as possible. He could stop responding to the steroids in the future. No real timelines were discussed. He could also be treated with chemotherapy, but it is not recommended until after the steroids stop working because of the side effects.

I'm hoping that the bloodwork will show an infection that could be treated. Bruce is doing well right now. The anesthesia has not completely worn off. He slept the whole drive home, and he's sleeping now. He had a small dinner and his first dose of steroids.

Has anyone every had experience with this? I'm off to do a search right now . . . .

Sorry, I don't have any experience with this. Sending positive thoughts for Bruce.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest SusanP

Our neighbor's little yorkie-like dog has this, and she is on chemo off and on for life. She seems to be doing well, though. I hope you find a good treatment for your little one.

I'll keep fingers crossed that it is infectious, not an immune disease. Poor Bruce. Give him extra scritches - we'll be thinking about you and Bruce - he is such a gorgeous boy!

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Guest LovesDoggies

This is all just very very sad. I am not going to read anything further about his potential condition. I don't know for sure what is causing this, and I am going to make myself crazy reading about things that I don't really understand.

I am also starting to feel very badly about the fact that the adoption group never got him the neuro consult. They basically told me that they spent thousands of dollars on another dog with a neurological condition and that it would be too expensive to diagnose Bruce. This was all out of my control at the time. I was just the foster mom. I knew it was wrong at the time, but they tried to say that the steroids would "shock this out of his system." Gosh, from what I have learned, that is probably never the case. Just a band-aid. And, now I am out 3k . . . to start.

I will do whatever I need to do for Bruce. There is no question about that. I cannot help but to just feel very hurt that this group would unilaterally decide to do everything they could for one dog and then do nothing at all for Bruce. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

I realize that they are a non-profit organization and that they may not always have funds, BUT they do have the capacity to raise funds. I do not. I am one person. Single. One income. Three greyhounds and three aging cats. In fact, they now have a special fund for dogs like the one who was diagnosed and treated (in his name actually, he has sadly since passed), but apparently not for dogs like mine. Am I wrong for thinking that someone from the group should step up and offer to pay for some of this? I am going to have to ask, which makes me feel just sick, but I seriously adopted Bruce less than a month ago. If I did not adopt him, this would be their bill. If they followed the advice of the dr, this would have been their bill -AND- we would actually have some answers by now. I also suspect Bruce would have been very difficult to adopt out to someone else, given his undiagnosed medical condition that was accompanied by temporary paralysis.

Right now, i don't feel i have the emotional fortitude to deal with all of this. But, I will . . . .

Guest SusanP

I can understand your feelings, certainly, and I would not hesitate to ask for help, even if it takes a special fundraising effort through the group to help you. Try not to approach them in anger, though, if you want results.

I should add that my neighbor with the Yorkie who has the autoimmune enchepalitis recently told me that she is expected to live a normal life span despite the illness and the probablity that she may be on chemo drugs off and on for life. I'm not sure what their vet bills have been, but the outcome for their dog has been good. I see the little one (she is only about 2 years old now) frolicking in the yard, looking happy and healthy.

Take one step at a time and have hope. :grouphug

I understand frustration, but he's your dog now. They told you when he was just a foster that they were only doing steroids, which is what it sounds like is going to be the treatment anyway.

You can ask them for help, but I would not expect any from them. Dogs from adoption groups are not normally adopted out with health guarantees. MRIs are expensive (Ryan's was just under 2k) and I can understand adoption groups not doing them if they don't feel they have to.

good luck with a definitive diagnosis

Guest laceyj

I am so very sorry you are having to go through this. I have no insight to offer concerning this DX unfortunately.

I suggest that you contact the group you adopted him from. I would try to approach them in reference to helping you raise some funds for Bruce's medical care. It is unfortunate that they didn't pursue his condition further while he was still in their care, but I do know groups are sometimes forced to make some tough decisions. I do understand how hurtful it must be for you that they didn't take it any further, however you did adopt him knowing he had a medical issue that wasn't fully explored. That being said, I would approach them seeking help for fund raisers. There are lots of things you could do with their help. I just don't WANT to believe that they wouldn't help you. You are right, he would have been more difficult to place given his medical condition and if you hadn't adopted him the current medical expenses would fall on the group.

Prayers for both you and Bruce. :hope Here's hoping that your group steps up to the plate and helps you raise the necessary funds for his care. :hope:goodluck

Please keep us posted!

Most groups don't have unlimited funds. I'm not sure I know of any groups who would MRI a dog with a potentially drug-responsive/steroid-responsive condition -- they'd likely try the medications first. As would I, personally, as an owner. Don't misunderstand -- I don't think it was wrong to do an MRI; just, neurological diagnosis is a crapshoot, and treatment options are really limited. I don't think the group was negligent to bypass the MRI and try meds.

I can understand your dismay at high expenses, and there's sure nothing wrong with asking if the group can help. I'm with Trudy on this one, tho.

Whatever happens, hope pupper continues to be well cared for, and hope his problems are resolved!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LovesDoggies

Thanks for your input everyone. That's why I asked. I am just feeling very down about this. The only reason it bothers me so much is that they decided to help another dog, and not mine, and somehow, that just seems unfair. If they do an MRI for one dog who is being "fostered", I don't see why Bruce was denied the same care.

I don't, however, think that blaming me for adopting a dog with an undiagnosed illness is fair or necessary. I was supposed to have him for only 2 weeks. He had a couple lined up specifically for him. They were on their honeymoon, which is why Bruce had to wait for two weeks. He started to show symptoms during that week, he fell in my house, he had to brought to the e-vet and then to several non-neurologist veterinarians. They gave the couple another dog. So, I took him again and watched him get better and fell in love with him. Please don't blame me for that.

I am really suffering emotionally today, so if everyone could either not respond with negativity or try to be supportive like most everyone on here has been, I would really appreciate it.

I am just trying to do what is best for this dog, and yet again, I sit in my office and cry.

Edited by LovesDoggies

Guest SusanP

I don't think anyone is blaming your for adopting a dog with an undiagnosed condition. It's just that you have to remember that you knew ahead of time you were taking some risks. Personally, I'm glad he's in a loving home where he is going to get the treatment he needs for a happy life.

I still don't think it would hurt to ask for help in some way, but not in an angry, accusing way.

Guest LovesDoggies
Most groups don't have unlimited funds. I'm not sure I know of any groups who would MRI a dog with a potentially drug-responsive/steroid-responsive condition -- they'd likely try the medications first. As would I, personally, as an owner. Don't misunderstand -- I don't think it was wrong to do an MRI; just, neurological diagnosis is a crapshoot, and treatment options are really limited. I don't think the group was negligent to bypass the MRI and try meds.

I can understand your dismay at high expenses, and there's sure nothing wrong with asking if the group can help. I'm with Trudy on this one, tho.

Whatever happens, hope pupper continues to be well cared for, and hope his problems are resolved!

I never said, nor did I intend to intimate, that they were negligent. I was just saying that it seems slightly unfair that one dog gets thousands of dollars worth or treatment and an MRI, while another one does not. If anyone thinks I am so off base for thinking that is unfair, then please accept my apologies, but I will have to disagree.

So sorry.. Sending positive thoughts and hugs. :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I never said, nor did I intend to intimate, that they were negligent. I was just saying that it seems slightly unfair that one dog gets thousands of dollars worth or treatment and an MRI, while another one does not. If anyone thinks I am so off base for thinking that is unfair, then please accept my apologies, but I will have to disagree.

It never really had anything to do with fairness. You're making an emotional argument for a decision that has to be made with a lot of other factors involved - cost, chances of success, etc. Emotions or "fairness" is a low factor, honestly.

Adoption groups have to make tough decisions all the time. They're never going to be able to do everything everyone wants or everything for every dog. That's the unfortunate reality.

The role of the adoption group is to place dogs in homes where they can be cared for. In this case, it sounds like they did that!

So for your own sanity, stop worrying about what "should have" been done by other people, and focus on where Bruce needs you now. :)

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I'm usually not a hugger but :grouphug I think you need one. This is so sad for you & Bruce. There are never any guarantees in life but we always want to hope for the best. And that's what I'm wishing for both of you. There are some test results that need to come back & I hope that there will be something that will help. I don't think the group intentionally meant for any of this to happen & that they'll be able to & willing to assist you.

It's so easy for me to say, but stay strong for Bruce. He is lucky to have you to look out for him.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Yikes! Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of accusing them of negligence. I was just musing on the issue a bit.

It isn't easy to decide what course to take for a pupper like Bruce -- any pupper with an odd, hard-to-diagnose thing. I'm glad he has you in his corner.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest larock

This sounds very simular to what our Wardy developed in 2004, when he was 8. Blindness, pain and lameness, limited motor function and general mental dullness. He had the MRI and a Spinal Tap which confirmed an inflamation simular to encephalitus, they ruled out distemper, and tick bourne diseases which I think can present very simular symptoms. In the end it was thought to be GME (Granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis) or simular. GME can only be confirmed by brain biopsy, which we declined.

So in August 04 he was treated with round of antibiotics (two kinds but their names escape me now) and 60mg of prednisone daily which was eventually stepped down. In October he had relapse and almost died - back on the antibiotics and pred (60mg daily) which he stayed on for about two more months and then again stepped down, very gradually. Had another replapse in Feb 05 while still on a very low dose of prednisone. This is when he started seeing the Neurologist, we went every month, sometime twice. After the last relapse it took a long time before he was feeling like himself again. He was never off the pred again and in Jan 06 we started him on the chemo. The chemo worked well (he went for almost two years).

In spite of his advancing age he was generally a happy guy and I always knew when he was starting to fail a bit and was able to adjust his drugs accordingly. We always thought once the drugs stopped working we'd let him go but it was a fall that took him from us in November 07, at 11.5 years of age.

I do hope this helps you find out what it is. I've saved all of the documantion so if you need any additional info please let me know.

Lynn,

Toronto, Canada

Guest LovesDoggies
Yikes! Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of accusing them of negligence. I was just musing on the issue a bit.

It isn't easy to decide what course to take for a pupper like Bruce -- any pupper with an odd, hard-to-diagnose thing. I'm glad he has you in his corner.

Ok, sorry Batmom. I over-reacted a bit there in my response to you. I was clearly not doing so well when I wrote this or any of my responses (i.e., the several references to my being in distress -- uggh.) I am feeling much better now.

I didn't plan to post on here about all of this. I was really just venting at the unfairness of it all. I should not have. It obviously did not help anything. Just made me more upset. None of us know all of the factors that the group had to consider at the time.