How Long Before Dinner Does Your Grey Start Bugging You?

Guest Amy_Bee

How long before dinner does your grey start bugging you?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. How long before dinner does your grey start bugging you?

• Over 3 hours
    • 2-3 hours
    • 1-2 hours
    • less than one hour
    • My grey doesn't ask for dinner. He knows when it's time.

Guest Amy_Bee

I'm sitting here working, and Gretchen is repeatedly getting up and staring at me. Her dinnertime is 4:45, and she has been doing this since 3. She does this every day.

How long before dinner does your grey start bugging you?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only about a half hour, but they sure have that internal clock for things. We have two greys and another funny thing is they always know when it is Sunday and they don't get their walk until after church instead of first thing. They don't bug us or anything. They just lay in the bed watching us get dressed.

Mine never bug us for dinner, although we do try not to be late with it. Breakfast is a totally different story - if we try to sleep even half an hour past breakfast time (6:30), Gabe will bark and whine and cold-nose us until we get up.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Zookiesmom

Zooks doesn't bug usually, but he is today. I think he knows Andrew is supposed to be home soon. Nina however, always bugs. She's always hungry too. She's the piglet of the family, lol.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spud will bug me starting about an hour before dinner time. I moved the feeding schedule an hour later to 6:30 because Sadie vomits bile in the morning if fed any earlier than that (when I do feed earlier, I give bread before bedtime) but Spud firmly believes that he should be fed at 5:30 p.m. on the dot, no questions asked, JUST DO IT :P

Guest tricolorhounds

Within an hour of dinner time, the mere raising of an eyebrow is enough to get the crew up and moving in anticipation of dinner

I second that :lol Although we've NEVER had a schedule... They are relentless B) My ring leader is Copper who will bark and make all sorts of random vocalizations to get his point across

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest D_MansMommy

An hour or two before dinner. It's our older cat though who is the instigator. She wakes up and starts walking around meowing. Then the other cat joins in and the pups follow :rolleyes: I just tell them it's not time yet go lay down. They usually do.

nikki is the one with the food alarm. she can start up anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour early: teeth chattering, helicopter tail. woe is she when we go back to standard time from daylight savings.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Merlin is very good. He never bugs me about his meals. In the morning, he'll sometimes come into the kitchen and look interested, but no whining or anything. In the evening, I nearly always have to call him, as he goes to his bed after his late afternoon walk and sleeps until his dinner is ready. :wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I get home anywhere from 4:15 to 5 pm, watch the national news and then the local news. After local weather, I usually head for the kitchen to start their dinner. When I am sitting down watching the news, they are standing beside the chair and won't go lay down. I'm not sure if they want attention & petting since I've been gone or think they need to be fed. After dinner they will go lay down if I watch TV.

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Simon is the designated bugger and starts making Dinner Eyes at me about 1/2 hour before the usual eating time. Any shifting or standing at that point results in everyone running for the kitchen. They only go into red alert when dinner's actually late - then there's pacing and whining and such. :rolleyes:

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest simile

Chloe doesn't care what time dinner is, but Tip cares very, very much. If we've had a busy day, like going to the dog park or feed store, then he'll start bugging me as much as two hours early. On days when we've just hung around the house it nagging usually starts when Dad gets home, which is an hour before dinner time.

Guest shelbygirl07

once shelby sees the can or hears me touch her bowl, she walks onto the kitchen with her ears folded out from each side of her head, eyes buldging and staring like a statue and watches me with such great anticipation. She gets so focused that she can't see the mean old kitty sneaking up behind her. The kitty plays games with her when she goes into statue mode. When dinner is finally served, she won't pick her head up from the bowl until she has licked the finish off it. Then she will stand in the kitchen doorway and stare at us and the other animals in statue mode until I snap my fingers and point to the living room to signify "go lay down". It has become her nightly routine so I don't have to say a word, she just knows LOL

Guest FireHorse

Half an hour/forty-five minutes or so. After that, any move made had better be in the direction of the magic food room and dinner! :rolleyes:

It's funny though-they only do that for dinner. Breakfast is a completely different story. I get up at 530, let them out and back in and give them big milk bones, then they go back to bed. I'm in and out of the kitchen making breakfast, making another cup of tea, whatever, and neither one twitches-even if I open the fridge. But when they hear the lid to the food box snap closed, *that's* when they scramble. :lol If I leave the lid off I can put their bowls down and it's as much as a couple hours later before they wake up enough to notice that hey! They missed breakfast! (I know this because I tried it one morning. Mean old Mom! :P)

Edited by FireHorse

Guest mom2two

mine aren't bothered when they get fed - they only realise it's dinner time when the cat starts harassing me! then they might wander into the kitchen to check if grubs up. 'Post last pee snack' is another matter entirely - they will stand in the kitchen by the cupboard and demand their bedtime treats!

Joseph and Rocco the whippet start watching as soon as people lunch is over. People often have lunch at 11:30, and dogs have supper at 3:00.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My dogs don't have to ask, they have me trained well. When it's dinner time, I am making dinner for them!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

About 30 mins before dinner, they all start following me around the house. If dinner is late... then I get an earful! Uber will bark at me until I cave and feed the poor starving hounds. The others think this is pretty sweet since they have to do none of the work but get all the benefit!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest team_weasel

It depends on the situation.. During the week when either DH and I get home, they get let out and we get their food ready (around 5:30 pm). On the weekends they take turns coming up to us, looking longingly at us -- Sandy will even sit in front of us for several minutes at a time LoL ... This usually starts about half an hour to an hour before supper. Some friends have commented saying, "well why don't you just feed them when they start asking for food??" .. if we fed them every time they asked for food, their supper time would be pushed forward one hour sooner each day! So we just tell the hounds, "sorry love, you're not going to starve!" :lol