Dog Parks

Guest Amy_Bee

Dog Park  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to a dog park?

• All the time
    • Occasionally
    • Never
  2. 2. What does your grey do at the dog park?

• Immediately runs, whether he's by himself or with other dogs
    • Immediately runs, but only with other greys
    • Gets warmed up a bit, sniffing around, and then runs later
    • Sniffs around, greeting people and dogs, but doesn't run
    • Doesn't want to socialize with others. He just stands with me the whole time and whines.

Guest LindsaySF

I wouldn't risk it, especially with Greys having such thin skin. I think Greys should only be in playgroups where everyone is muzzled.

If you do decide to go there, make sure there is a double-gated entrance. There is too much risk of your Grey getting loose with just a single gate and people coming and going.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sweetpea

We have a teeny weeny park by the water that we go to, but there's a huge one down by my folks.

What I have determined in my very non-scientific research is that SweetyPeaty likes to run on grass, but not so much on sand or gravelly dirt.

Sand or dirt she'll sniff and trot around a bit, but she'll hover near people for pets mostly.

But that wide open grassy park, she sniffed a bit, then she was off! :gh_run

My dad said he didn't realize how big the park was until he realized she was getting smaller......

There weren't many people at the big park, but I heard one women gasp in awe at Sweetpea in full speed.

Buzzy

We have a teeny weeny park by the water that we go to, but there's a huge one down by my folks.

What I have determined in my very non-scientific research is that SweetyPeaty likes to run on grass, but not so much on sand or gravelly dirt.

Sand or dirt she'll sniff and trot around a bit, but she'll hover near people for pets mostly.

My dad said he didn't realize how big the park was until he realized she was getting smaller......

There weren't many people at the big park, but I heard one women gasp in awe at Sweetpea in full speed.

Buzzy

Where is the big grassy park you go to? The parks we visit are dirt, sand and bark....certainly not as much fun as grass.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I take Koda to the doggie "P-A-R-K" ( ;) ) at least every 2nd day. She loves it! She tends to stick close to me if I am near ppl/dogs that she isn't familiar with. But if they are a good distance away she is off running around and having a good ol' time by herself. She is a bit of a social reject so she doesn't really run up to anyone (ppl or dog). If they approach her she just freezes....she is assertive but not aggressive nor weak. If it is a lab type or a sheltie or a dobie....she plays since her best buds are these breeds. Other breeds she tends to just sniff and then walk away. She loves to run in the trees along the trails and chase dogs that are chasing balls. She doesn't really run full out very often. Only when chasing the dogs that are chasing the balls. Otherwise, she just sort of lopes around checking things out. Oh, and she pees about every 20 ft for the entire 1 hour walk. :blush

My bridge girl could not go to a dog park since she was other dog aggressive.

When I first adopted Deniro I took him to the new park here. Deniro has NO prey drive what so ever. He was fine at first until a very hyper standard schnauzer decided to hop around him and get in his face. Deniro tried to warn him a few times and when the owner of the schnauzer did nothing and the dog didnt quite understand the warnings, it was on. Deniro went after him to tell him quite effectively to BACK OFF. At that point I was not going to risk it and we left. Have only been back when it was empty on one side.

I have taken the boys to play group at our kennel a couple of times. Greys only and all muzzled. Both boys loved it.

But once a week we go to the kennel anyway and the boys can run alone in one of the pens (about 1/4 acre maybe larger). Other times I can take them to my mom's since she has a large flat fenced back yard.

Both boys sniff, sniff, pee, sniff, sniff, poop, sniff, sniff, pee some more and sniff some more. Then Deniro will try his best to get Bernard to play. Eventually they will run all out. Then they are done.

Guest WI_grey_mom

We try to take ours to the dog park at least 1-2 times a month. The best park for us is about a half hour away and on Sat & Sunday mornings a group of grey owners get together, muzzle the lot of them and set them loose in the empty "small dog area". They usually separate themselves into 3 groups, 1- the run like mad group, 2- the sniff & pee group, and 3- the stick to humans like glue group enjoying all of the extra hands for lovings. I love this set up because it is all grey-saavey people with muzzled dogs. After a few rounds of this the group breaks up and I move on into the big area. By then my greys are pooped and stick pretty close to me for a good walk (with sniffs and markings as a bonus).

There is another park closer to us that I am just not comfortable taking my dogs to. There is no separation of sizes and the park is HUGE with paths cut into wooded areas. I've decided the extra trip is worth the peace of mind.

Guest sweetpea

Buzzy

Where is the big grassy park you go to? The parks we visit are dirt, sand and bark....certainly not as much fun as grass.

Gracegirl, the huge park is actually south of Tacoma, at Fort Steilacoom park (tucked between Lakewood and Steilacoom near Western State Hospital).

It's about 50 miles south of Seattle, so not convenient at all, but worth it for me 'cause my folks live there.

It's almost scarily big, Sweetpea can be kind of a gate crasher, when she's done she is done.

But it's double gated, there's a separate small dog area, and they have benches inside for the humans. If you're ever in that area, it's great.....

here's the website for directions www.parkdogs.com

Buzzy

(I'm sorry to hear that there aren't any grassy parks up north, I was hoping that the edmonds park was not the norm, and I'm not sure I trust Marymoor.

Oh well, I guess I'll be visiting the folks more often ;) )

Carl has been to the dog park 3 time since I got him. First time he trotted around, smelling, peeing, pooping, greeting other dogs. The second time he trotted over to a blood hound who started to run and for the first time Carl cut loose and went into a full on sprint. It was beautiful! The blood hound's owner, looked at his dog and said, "this is a race you will never win!". Later, he ran over to a woman who was walking a mixed group of about 5 dogs, he wanted to be part of their pack, so he trotted around with them for about 5 - 10 minutes. Fortunately, she was cool with it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest dauphinelaura

Luckily for us they just fenced in part of a park they we go to every once in a while that's really close to us. I told everyone that what I wanted for Christmas was a backyard (I live in an apartment)! Well I kinda got one because no one goes to the dog park inside the park and so I can just bring the dogs there and they can run around together and I can just relax in the grass!

Guest greytexplorer
I personally, would never bring my dogs to a dog park. As I believe someone from this board said greyhounds and dog parks= accident waiting to happen.

I let mine run in a fenced in school yard. It took us 8 months to find one, but we did!

DITTO

plus, my greys are breed-snobs, totally not interested in any dog unless it's a grey

Could you please add another choice? Since I clicked on NEVER in the first segment, and didn't click anything in the second segment (see NEVER), the poll would not count my vote. And I would like to see what the poll says.

Yesterday, I met my friend Kathy at the school park for a short romp (it was cold). She brought Fit and Aubrey.

Aubrey didn't like the cold, and stayed in the car with Kathy and me. :rolleyes:

Then Ester (she is 7 yrs old and I've had her for 2 years) did something that I've never seen her do before:

she crouched down and watched Fit (looked like an alligator)

as Fit approached, she LEAPT up which startled Fit and caused him to run, and she gave chase :eek:lol

I do love romptimes!!

The first couple of years I had him, Turbo would go to the dog park at least once a week, and usually more often. As he's gotten older, though, he become a bit of a bully and likes to trot by other dogs and bark in their ears, trying to get them to run (he's super competitive, yet was a lousy racer, go figure). Obviously, this can lead to some issues. He also tries to chase the dogs that are chasing balls, they think he's after their balls (he isn't, just wants to race them), so that leads to conflicts. He has good days and bad, but I never know before I take him, so we've pretty much stopped going altogether. We have weekly greyhound-only runs in an indoor riding arena, so he gets to run there and he loves it, though he will still bully. But everyone's muzzled and if he gets too carried away, I remove him.

Oh, and he has one particularly nasty habit that really makes dogparks tough - when another dog goes submissive and rolls on its back, he'll try to chew on its legs. Not hard, but it stresses out the submissive dog. *sigh* Turbo's a jerk.

Here's Turbo (the white dog) being annoying at a barn run - he's cutting off the brindle so he can bark at a dog on the other side:

Camera1006.jpg

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest D_MansMommy

We never go to dog parks. Donovan hates other breeds for the most part and TC has some fear aggression issues. Not a safe option for us.

we go to the pasture across the road that the village uses as a dog park a couple times a week, if one of their friends is there i let them off the lead and everyone has a grand time running around, if there is a strange dog there i do not go in or i'll keep them on the lead of i think it may be someone we know but have not played with before. blue is fine with most other dogs (tho there are a few in the village he doesn't like), millie likes large dogs and may appear too agressive with small ones, especially if they do not run, she tries to 'encourage' them by nipping at them till they do, then she's fine, but i'll keep them on the leash till i'm satisfied there is no murderous intent.

anyhow, if the field is empty they dawdle around for a bit, have a wee and a poo, them run around.

if one of their doggie friends is in there, they'll immediately run to them & start playing & do the poop/wee bit during a rest period later..

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest shelbygirl07

I have been looking for a fenced in area for shelby in this area where we are living now. When we lived in Worcester, we were on the same street as a park that had 3 fenced in baseball fields and a fenced in football field so there was always an open field for her to run. That is the only thing I miss about our house Is our fenced on yard and that field. I just can't find anything around here where I can take her and let her romp

My apartment complex in Norman has its own dog park/pen, but I only use it when it's empty.

Neither of my dogs is small-dog safe, and neither has done well with non-greys. Gabe is more likely to just ignore them, but Diamond is TERRIFIED of them, which eventually turns to barking and growling, which, in turn, gets Gabe all riled up.

When they're alone, Diamond LOVES to run laps, and Gabe likes to walk around and pee on everything. ^_^

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• 5 months later...
Guest lionessgrace

I voted that she warms up first and then runs. It depends on if she finds a dog to her liking or not. If she doesn't, she'll just sniff around looking totally bored. She mostly likes to go up to other people for pets.

Guest tuxandtails

Tails will trot aorund the park, marking everything, and pooping 3-4 times for the first 15 mins or so. then he finds the fastest smallest dog and makes them run so he can chase them. he has no interest in running with our foster greys (all of which will run at a full sprint for no reason, and bank corners and everything), and will only run if chassing a smaller fast dog. its funny to see how much faster he is than anything else in the park, including other greys. and at our park, there is a pool, so every 10 mins or so, he goes and lays in the pool for 3 mins or so to cool off for a bit lol!

Guest Harleys_girl06

When we first got Harley when he was young, probably the year we got him, he attacked a Chihuahua that wasn't suppose to be in the big dog pen. Poor guy. Now he's 10.5 and he doesn't chase anything. We let him off the leash and he just runs to our house. We took him about 2 other times to the dog park when we thought he may like the exercise. We put his greyhound muzzle on those 2 other times but I've come to realize Harley is a loner. He doesn't like any one! He doesn't growl or isn't aggressive but he never wants to have any fun. He just stands there when dogs sniff him or try to play with him. Poor baby. When we most recently went to the D. Park, Harley walks slowly along the fence, smelling the grass, and peeing every five seconds. *sigh*

Guest Lorraineandcrew

We only go to the dog park when it's the "greys only" hour. They are all muzzled, and can run around together without injuring any smaller dogs. We discourage people from bringing in small white fluffies while we are all there. I brought my big boy to the park when it was all dog breeds, and he came away bleeding from the front paw and ear, as the other dogs are not muzzled, and they do play differently. As I would have my pups muzzled anyway so as not to injure anything smaller, it puts them at a bit of a disadvantage, so we only go to play with other greys. But every dog is different, there will be plenty of GTers whose dogs are fine at the dog parks.

Guest SabrinaInDE

I couldn't vote, but we don't go. Max has no interest in running around in strange places (just sticks to my side) or other dogs (not aggressive or anything, just couldn't care less), and Sassy tends to be fear aggressive with other dog breeds. So there you have it, no dog parks for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dillymom

Lola will sniff around, poop and say hello to every person in the park. We do meet with a group of greys once a week and when they run she will run with them but she can't be motivated to run on her own. She is more interested in having people love on her than in running

Guest greytelectric
What does your grey do at the dog park? (I hope this works.)

My male grey is a bit aloof, but he will engage and play and then go off by himself.

My female goes around the park to everyone just to be petted.

Sometimes they run like crazy - sometimes not. It seems in the warmer weather they are not as active at the park. If it's warm out, they will play a bit then go stand under a tree for shade.

I just wanted to throw in an idea for those who might be interested. You can go to web sites like MapQuest or Google Maps and plug in your address to see an arial view of the surrounding neighborhood, then pick out certain parks that look like they might have enclosed areas for your dogs to run. It takes a little bit of work to go check out these places but at least it's an adventure for your dogs to go along and you might get lucky and find a place that is perfect for letting them loose. You can also try to speak with the park's representatives to see if they would be willing to allow you a block of time when a ball field is not in use or something, so you can lock all the gates and let the dogs run safely.

There are also private parks in some neighborhoods that may be willing to give you permission to use, although not as likely as public parks. I found the coolest one near my house that is just perfect, however I am still trying to get my foot in the door with them. They have a sign posted that clearly prohibits all dogs from ever being in there but you see them in there occasionally and I have even walked mine on leash in there a few times. The neatest part about this park is that it's like a huge sunken valley, completely surrounded by beautiful trees and solid fencing around the entire perimiter..... one gate only.... and you can see the whole park from wherever you are standing. I keep watching homes sales in the area and would love to eventually buy one there.

There are probably lots of different places that can be much safer than some dog parks, if you can just find them and finagle yourselves in.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest my2greys

Sadly our Greys can't frequent the dog park.

There is a very wiley girl - Chili Bean that is a tail puller

If anyone has a tail puller - and I hope you don''t - you know it's horrible.

She runs around all excited and flys by other dogs grabbing their tails in the process which at full speed is not very comfrotable for the poor unsuspecting pup who just got unexpectedly sat down by a somewhat rough and fast tail pull.

Guest Hotdogs

I am so afraid to let my dogs run in the dog park by my house. My Charlie broke one of his toes so badly that it needed to be removed from running a neighbor's perfectly flat, seemingly ideal yard. :( I watched the whole thing happen and I still don't know what he did exactly, it was only three months after I adopted him. I am so terrified that he or his 'sister' will break something if I let them go. Our adoption group has a 'fun run' once a month in a fenced in drainage area and I too afraid that they'll stick a leg in a rabbit hole and break it. I'm a worried freak, I know it, but I have such a difficult time letting Charlie (broken toe) run and I let Suri run (she's a sniffer-then-runner) but I am also afraid for her. I don't let her run much per visit b/c I am petrified that I'll break her too.

I'm still looking for a place where I feel comfortable letting them run. I don't mind letting them socialize with other dogs, but I would feel better if it was only my two at a time.

How do I get over this fear?