Dog Parks

Guest Amy_Bee

Dog Park  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go to a dog park?

• All the time
    • Occasionally
    • Never
  2. 2. What does your grey do at the dog park?

• Immediately runs, whether he's by himself or with other dogs
    • Immediately runs, but only with other greys
    • Gets warmed up a bit, sniffing around, and then runs later
    • Sniffs around, greeting people and dogs, but doesn't run
    • Doesn't want to socialize with others. He just stands with me the whole time and whines.

As a newbie at greyhound owner, I was wondering if I had gotten a "defective" model, in that she shows little interest in running at the dog-park. Thank you for this topic -- my girl has buddies just like her! I thought that as a greyhound she would LOVE the park's wide open expanse. I guess she's decided that retirement means, well, retirement. In fact, I have only seen a half-hearted attempt at a full out run at the dog park -- once. Then she looked at me, saw me in awe and wonder at her beauty, and stopped to come for a pet and praise. She ignores the running dogs, the balls being thrown, the play, but loves to sniff around the perimeter of the park and introduce herself to all the people for pets and loves. She sniffs the dogs who come to meet her out of social courtesy and then wanders off to sniff the grass, the bushes, and make another round of begging for loves and pets. Thankfully, this has helped her avoid all the aggressive/poorly trained dogs (and owners) because she is nowhere near the naughtiness going on. So it's easy for us to leave. However, most of the people/dogs we've met so far have been decent.

We only go about once a week when the weather's nice. Not enough shade. Now that summer is almost in full swing and night-time lows will soon approach the 80s, our exercise/walking routine is going to need some adaptation.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DragonflyDM

As a newbie at greyhound owner, I was wondering if I had gotten a "defective" model, in that she shows little interest in running at the dog-park. Thank you for this topic -- my girl has buddies just like her! I thought that as a greyhound she would LOVE the park's wide open expanse. I guess she's decided that retirement means, well, retirement. In fact, I have only seen a half-hearted attempt at a full out run at the dog park -- once. Then she looked at me, saw me in awe and wonder at her beauty, and stopped to come for a pet and praise. She ignores the running dogs, the balls being thrown, the play, but loves to sniff around the perimeter of the park and introduce herself to all the people for pets and loves. She sniffs the dogs who come to meet her out of social courtesy and then wanders off to sniff the grass, the bushes, and make another round of begging for loves and pets. Thankfully, this has helped her avoid all the aggressive/poorly trained dogs (and owners) because she is nowhere near the naughtiness going on. So it's easy for us to leave. However, most of the people/dogs we've met so far have been decent.

We only go about once a week when the weather's nice. Not enough shade. Now that summer is almost in full swing and night-time lows will soon approach the 80s, our exercise/walking routine is going to need some adaptation.

Boomah is like that. Don't stop going. He may not want to play with the other dogs...he does enjoy just being in the social group. I call it being a "dog nerd." Usually Boomah is just happy sniffing a few butts and trees.

And don't discount the human social aspect of the dog park. It is a great place to make friends (even if they are only dog park friends).

Edited by DragonflyDM

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

We went this morning. It's flooded out here, so I (correctly) assumed we'd virtually have the place to ourselves. It was great! A rare treat to have temps in the upper 70s (instead of the 90s) on a June morning! Plus, one other dog DID show up, which is ideal. My pack won't run on their own. We need a playful dog to show up. My Zoom likes to be chased (he always wins) and this pit bull female was more than willing. So, the pit bull coursed Zoom, and my Greyhound oldie coursed the Pit Bull, and my Borzoi coursed the Greyhound. They gave us a nice show racing through the ankle deep water.

Guest badderh

Rocky will sniff and very quickly check out other dogs, but for the most part he keeps to himself. He'd much rather prance around with a ball in his mouth then get involved with playing with other dogs. However if by chance another greyhound shows up he is GLUED to them the entire time and will trot by their side non stop.

Guest maidmarcia

Why do people feel negatively about dog parks? I've been taking my grey to the nearby dog park for over a year and we've only had one bad incident... another dog started humping Licorice, wouldn't stop, Licorice got agitated and we left.

I've seriously never had a problem though. I've heard a couple stories about aggressive dogs being at parks, but so far I have never encountered that. *fingers crossed*

One thing that irritates me A LOT is the fact that I live in a city of 500,000+ people and there are 3 dog parks. 1 isn't even properly fenced in. We used to take Licorice to a nearby fenced in school yard but it was locked when we last went. There are hardly any places to take a dog safely in this city! It's horrible!

We have found parks that have been huge and perfect for him to run in, but like someone said earlier, people tend to report dogs running off leash. Why does it even matter if no other people are there???

We used to go a lot before Poodle was almost killed by dogs mostly his size or smaller that packed on him. We went a few times after that and he was fine with it.

Bottom line is that none of my greys have enjoyed it at all except for Buck and Rex at the lake access. Rex used to wait at the gate hoping someone would spring him. I took Buudy alone once when I first got him and the other two were at the groomer. He was also bored to death and we won't be going back.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I tried a couple of dog parks a few times each and really wanted to continue but it just doesn't work. Annie Bella herself gets a bit snarkish with other dogs. She runs with them but cuts them off in mid-stride and sometimes nips at them if they don't get out of her way quick enough. Other dog parents tell me that she's just playing but I get worried that the play nipping from the other dog(s) will result in injury to Annie Bella. Therefore, I just don't go any more.

I marked "never" but we did go a couple of times. Jazzy really wasn't interested in running and the one time she did decide to run a German Sheppard deliberately ran into her side and rolled her. She wasn't hurt, but that was my learning experience. We don't go anymore. I have other options where I don't have to worry about other dogs not behaving or being aggressive.

Guest LindsaySF
Why do people feel negatively about dog parks?

http://thelexusproject.org/index.php

http://forum.greytal...locating-owners

http://forum.greytal...s-those-muzzles

There's more where that came from.

I have been to a dog park, but only when it was just Greyhounds, and everyone was muzzled. We had fun. :)

If you choose to have your Greyhound play with other breeds, I would only do it with dogs and owners you know, and keep in mind that other breeds often have a different play style. (Greyhounds like to run and chase, other breeds tend to be more wrestly and mouthy, thin-skinned Greys might not care for that, or even realize they can be hurt). And use extreme caution with Greyhounds and small dogs. Even "small dog friendly" Greyhounds can follow their instincts, especially in a pack situation.

I feel our dog park here in Kitchener is quite friendly, I go about once every 2 weeks or so...never had any issues, except that one time Bella was playing with a little dog and somehow managed to step on and puncture her foot by a stick, yes...I literally pulled it out of her webbing :sick

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Once you've seen a pack attack or a "competitive nip" from a roommate brother ( http://forum.greytal...s/page__st__280 page 15), you'll understand. Or If your happy, playful greyhound accidentally runs over a smaller dog and injures or kills it ... they'll be no going back then.

It can be a life altering experience seeing something like that and it simply is not worth it. Greys can become badly injured SO easily.

Before we had an official dog park here, many of us used a field that the little league used in the evenings. They HATED having dogs in the field because invariably, some jerk would not clean up after their dogs and the kids would step in it. If it were my kids, I would have been pissed too. But they even went so far to wait till we had dogs running and playing and then they would OPEN the big equipment gates and never warn us. I guess in hopes that they'd get loose.

You could do what some of us did and raise money to build a dog park with 3 sections - large dog, small dog and a training area. That way our hounds can run and play with just each other ---- SAFELY.

Good luck and stay safe :)

Why do people feel negatively about dog parks? I've been taking my grey to the nearby dog park for over a year and we've only had one bad incident... another dog started humping Licorice, wouldn't stop, Licorice got agitated and we left.

I've seriously never had a problem though. I've heard a couple stories about aggressive dogs being at parks, but so far I have never encountered that. *fingers crossed*

One thing that irritates me A LOT is the fact that I live in a city of 500,000+ people and there are 3 dog parks. 1 isn't even properly fenced in. We used to take Licorice to a nearby fenced in school yard but it was locked when we last went. There are hardly any places to take a dog safely in this city! It's horrible!

We have found parks that have been huge and perfect for him to run in, but like someone said earlier, people tend to report dogs running off leash. Why does it even matter if no other people are there???

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest maidmarcia

Once you've seen a pack attack or a "competitive nip" from a roommate brother ( http://forum.greytal...s/page__st__280 page 15), you'll understand. Or If your happy, playful greyhound accidentally runs over a smaller dog and injures or kills it ... they'll be no going back then.

It can be a life altering experience seeing something like that and it simply is not worth it. Greys can become badly injured SO easily.

Before we had an official dog park here, many of us used a field that the little league used in the evenings. They HATED having dogs in the field because invariably, some jerk would not clean up after their dogs and the kids would step in it. If it were my kids, I would have been pissed too. But they even went so far to wait till we had dogs running and playing and then they would OPEN the big equipment gates and never warn us. I guess in hopes that they'd get loose.

You could do what some of us did and raise money to build a dog park with 3 sections - large dog, small dog and a training area. That way our hounds can run and play with just each other ---- SAFELY.

Good luck and stay safe :)

I feel like this reply is a little bit demeaning to me, making the assumption that I don't "stay safe". My greyhound is very well behaved, has never nipped or tried to bite any other dog, and has never been seriously threatened by another dog. I suppose that I have just been lucky, not being exposed to those unfortunate situations, but I have never felt the need to take my dog to a 3 section park and I feel that I AM a good dog owner. I understand that greyhounds get injured much more easily than other dogs because of their anatomy, but I do not feel that should dictate whether I take my dog to the park or not.

Also, it has nothing to do with "good luck". It has absolutely to do with being astute, assessing each dog that enters the dog park and deciding whether they are suitable for my grey to be around. If there is a dominant dog there, I will leave because Licorice doesn't like to be dominated.

I feel our dog park here in Kitchener is quite friendly, I go about once every 2 weeks or so...never had any issues, except that one time Bella was playing with a little dog and somehow managed to step on and puncture her foot by a stick, yes...I literally pulled it out of her webbing :sick

I'm not trying to be a pushy advocate of dog parks, but thanks for the positive post. I have always enjoyed my dog park, but perhaps that is because almost all the owners are very hands on and careful with their dogs.

Dunno, maybe my dog park has less usage as well. It's usually pretty quiet when we go in the morning, about 4-6 dogs in total. I went one time at 6pm and there were 30 dogs there. wayyy to many for my taste.

Edited by maidmarcia

• 8 months later...
Guest starr511

We go everyday! We spend about 1 hour there each time. The dogs just love it! Miss independant Star will cruise the fence line then go into the wooded area to check things out. Then she will walk with someone else for a while. I know when she is tired cuz she will find me and stay pretty close by. Now, Jimmy, he sticks pretty close to me all the time. What a good boy! He really isn't interested in the other dogs, but is coming around. If it were up to him he would like his *sister* all to himself to play with him. But she is just too busy for that. They both run, run, run. Of course after they have peed and pooped a few times. :gh_run:gh_run

We took Opie, and now take our new boy Toley to the park every Sunday (weather permitting) to meet up with our other greyhound friends. Toley really seems to love it, runs, plays with other dogs, not only greyhounds. There are dangers everywhere, as we have read on this board sometimes just walking your dog in your own neighborhood. For us, and our whole group, we love meeting at the park, and we all watch our for all the dogs. I think the benefits for the dogs far outweigh any potential risk.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest abarnet1

Mine go to the park at least once a weekend and go to daycare one day a week. They LOVE it. They run just about the whole time they are there. They let me know that they need to go and let off some steam. I thought they would not like to run after we adopted them, We were wrong...I enjoy going and talking to the different people and telling them about greyhounds....

• 1 month later...
Guest HeatherLee

Gambler LOVES going to the dog park. He starts to whine if I don't get out of the car fast enough when we get there. I've noticed he definitely seems happier since I started taking him regularly (about 3-4 times a week). HOWEVER.. I do bring his muzzle because there is always the inevitable small dog in the large dog area. He has no problem with them when they're walking around, but if they start running he gets a little nippy. I don't have to do it often. I just make sure I take him when there's not a lot of dogs at the park, there seems to be more and more humpers, growlers, and un-neutered males lately that have made me leave early though (after his accident with my roomates dog I've been extra cautious as Ive seen how thin Greyhound skin really is.)

All in all it's been a pretty good experience and he does get up a good gallop quite often. He usually trots and pees on everything for awhile then runs at me full speed from across the park, it's very cute :)

Gambler LOVES going to the dog park. He starts to whine if I don't get out of the car fast enough when we get there. I've noticed he definitely seems happier since I started taking him regularly (about 3-4 times a week). HOWEVER.. I do bring his muzzle because there is always the inevitable small dog in the large dog area. He has no problem with them when they're walking around, but if they start running he gets a little nippy. I don't have to do it often. I just make sure I take him when there's not a lot of dogs at the park, there seems to be more and more humpers, growlers, and un-neutered males lately that have made me leave early though (after his accident with my roomates dog I've been extra cautious as Ive seen how thin Greyhound skin really is.)

All in all it's been a pretty good experience and he does get up a good gallop quite often. He usually trots and pees on everything for awhile then runs at me full speed from across the park, it's very cute :)

Please don't muzzle your hound when he's with dogs who are aren't muzzled. If a fight were to break out, he'd be completely defenseless. Holly, the dog in my signature who "never made it home," was killed by another greyhound at the racing kennel when the other hound managed to get her muzzle off.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• 8 months later...
Guest AngelPup

I stopped at a dog park once with Brady because it was so close to a dog walk we participated in. I just wanted to check it out and thought it might be a good opportunity for Brady to socialize with other breeds. I was turned off almost immediately. There was one dog there that was SUPER dominant/pushy and his owner seemed to relish watching him push the other dogs to the ground. With Brady also being a dominant type, I decided to just watch and see how the other dogs interacted. Most of the dogs/owners seemed friendly and the other dogs played nicely. I was going to wait for the mean dog/owner to leave, but when she came back after picking up her dog's poop she mentioned to a friend that he had diarrhea and she thought he was coming down with a cold since he had been sneezing a lot. NICE. That's when I decided to just leave. It reminded me of taking my kids to a playground or indoor gym and running into a parent with an unruly and clearly sick child... ~ : p

• 4 weeks later...
Guest antiqueal

I am a new rescue owner (11-16-14) and we go to all of the 6 dog parks in Knoxville, TN. I try to go to a different park each time. At first Ciara (pronounced Key' Ra) would sniff, pee & poop, then socialize with the people and finally sniff other dogs. She didn't start running until around the 10th trip to the parks. Now it is hit or miss whether she will run. It all depends on the specific dogs at the parks. If there are too many dogs, especially dogs who are aggressive while running, she just spends more time sniffing. But when there is a dog that loves to chase Ciara, she is a trill to watch. Even though there is no chance the dog will catch her, she will run just fast enough to make sure the dog doesn't get too far behind.

I do worry about her getting hurt, but I don't let it prevent me from letting her have a good time. If there are 'Bad' dogs at the park we just leave. This only happens maybe 1 in 10 times.

Guest Greysonsmom

I used to take Greyson to the park all the time. It was especially nice when no other dogs were around but unfortunately, too many owners ignore the signs stating that aggressive dogs are not allowed. I also worried about him running and stepping in a hole that had been dug and not filled. The final straw was a regular vet visit where he tested positive for whipworms. He's now on preventative with his regular heartworm meds, but we had our back yard fenced and we now have our own park. We adopted Jazzy in November and haven't had her to the park yet.