Dogs Got Into Some (lots) Of Chocolate...

Ok so i know,, i know i'm a bad mommy. I thought i had it all put away safe n sounds, but i guess not. I left for the day (wednesday), Dh was home, I had one walmart bag left on the kitchen table. I went thru it, but saw there were just some shirts in it, but nope, there were a bag of Chocolate truffles, and a thing of marshmellow santas way down in the bottom. Dh left togo to the store, never thought anything about the bag on the table, Thought it was Christmas cards from the night before.

Now plz keep in mind, there is a greyhound, and a mini Doxie. I cant say for sure but i know they work together, when it comes to getting into trouble. The greyhound can see, and sniff everything up hight, and the doxie is good at climbing up to things, knocking them down, and the two of them have a hay day... now that makes me even more of a bad mommy because i should have known better...

Dh gets home to find, all truffles gone, wrappers left behinde, and the same with all marshmellow santas. I cant say who got more of what, all i know is that they r both acting odd.. betsy 9the greyhound) is just a lil more quiet for the last couple of days. She threw up her breakfast this am. not really out of the norm for her, if she eats too fast she tends to "burp" it back up. Now Piper (the doxie) she is acting really odd. almost acting a lil nutters. whinning at everything, barking at everything, and almost stuck to us like glue..

Sooooooo any thoughts on this? since its been a few days, our we pretty much in the clear as far as health issues, or could there be something happening that i dont see?

I feel so bad, I know they feel kinda punky, but so far i'm not seeing anything too bad, even their potty breaks seem to be normal.. but as a mommy i do worry....even tho i feel like the worlds worst mommy.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

The truffles might be problematic, especially if your little doxie got a good dose of chocolate down. :( See this article, Canine Chocolate Toxicosis for more info and a list of symptoms to watch for. This other article at http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0129.htm talks about how slowly chocolate is ingested... so the danger may not have passed yet. :unsure Hoping that they're both alright... :hope

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

If they continue to exhibit strange behavior/symptoms, I'd take them in for an exam and blood tests just to make sure there isn't any lasting damage.

For future reference, if they get into something they shouldn't have (i.e., chocolate) you can make them barf with 3% hydrogen peroxide. 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs. of body weight, repeat once after 20 minutes if nothing happens. To speed up the process you can walk them around to jiggle their tummies and stir things up until they hurl. This is best done outside. ;) Works for cats, too. I had to do it with Sapphy when she got hold of a plant of questionable toxicity. It was gross, but better than the alternative. Do not use salt water or syrup of ipecac for animals.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I was babysitting for a family with a mini schnauzer once and he got into a 3-level box of godiva truffles. Ate most of it, and was totally fine. Not that I'm advocating chocolate for dogs...I am not. Just wanted to help alleviate your fears! Glad to hear your boys are OK. Little troublemakers, aren't they??!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

:grouphug No judgements, we have had to make our hounds puke before too. I recommend either the peroxide or you can also use a salt water mixture (a LOT of salt, not much water) and that will also make them vomit. Either one you decide on, give it to them and stand back.

(I personally like the salt water version better, no foamies!)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

i think that's happened to many of us. word of advice...don't give the peroxide while your dog is on your bed :eek

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IGmom4now

I can relate. During a shopping trip out of town, my IGs got into a shopping bag that contained a high-octane chocolate bar, steel cut oats, nutritional yeast and pistachios -- what a mess! and most of the chocolate was gone.

They were in a wire kennel, and the bag was way across the vehicle...long story short, we called the vet, she said stop at the nearest place where you can buy peroxide, and pour it down their throats until they puke the chocolate up. I just can't eat rocky road ice cream after that experience..

Guest LuckyGrey

Princess got into chocolate by accident which was a costly night in the ER and so much guilt. Glad your Greyhond and Doxie are ok.

Edited by LuckyGrey

Hey thankyou all so much for all the info. and thankyou for not yelling at me..lol i felt like such a bad mommy. I really should have known better.

They seem to be doing well today/tonight. piper isnt whinning anymore, and betsy has been back to old self. I call tomorrow morning and see if the Vet is open, and ask a few questions, but i think we are doin good.

again thankyou all so much. :grouphug

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

They were in a wire kennel, and the bag was way across the vehicle...long story short, we called the vet, she said stop at the nearest place where you can buy peroxide, and pour it down their throats until they puke the chocolate up. I just can't eat rocky road ice cream after that experience..

:rofl

Who knows what these guys are thinking sometimes.....Fenway just ate part of a duraflame log. :unsure I hope your crew feels better soon!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)