What Is The Deal With This?

Guest charmsmom

Guest charmsmom

I'm SOOOO tired of people saying, "oh, look! She's nervous/scared/cold!" Paris's jaw trembles when she holds it closed, almost like your arm would after holding something heavy up for hours. There's nothing wrong with her and she does it when she's home and totally at ease.

She's 7 and has a bit of a white face, so I think it's just age or a weak jaw. I'm just so tired of explaining it and telling people she's not nervous or scared or cold or sick. But, I'm also not sure why it does that.

Anyone else's hounds have that problem? What do you do about it?

My two chatters will do that when they are excited. Sometimes it results in full teeth chattering, sometimes they just tremble their jaw.

I've never actually heard of a weak jaw? I'm sure it happens... but at 7, I'd hesitate to assume it's age related.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Sure it's not excitement or anticipation? Batman did it a LOT.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest needlenoselover

Carly chatters all the time. When she wants food, lovies, ear stritches, whatever. Everyone thinks there's something wrong with her too. I try to explain, but sometimes it's not worth it.

Guest charmsmom

I don't *think* it's just excitement. She does it every time she closes her mouth. I suppose it's possible.... it's just irritating because we were at a dog fair yesterday and EVERYONE commented on it. :rolleyes: ...then Petsmart, then on our walk... UGH!

Guest KateWantsaGrey

yeah it's hard to always explain something to people, but even though it's old news to you, it's new to them. maybe you could take it as an oppertunity to tell them how wonderful greyhounds are?

Sahara does it when she's excited. So basically every time she meets someone her jaw starts quivering. People comment on it and ask if she's scared/cold/whatever. I was worried she was nervous when we first looked at her in the kennel because she was chattering away.

She also does it when she stretches, which is not related to excitement. So who knows? :)

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

It's excitement. A couple of mine do it every now and again. When they comment on the gray face, I just tell people it's genetics and leave it at that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest JenFallon

My Grainne chatters when she's happy, or excited (you should hear her teeth right now as she's wating for her dinner!) or when she's just chilling and content :).

I recently heard fellow Grey owner Clare (not sure if she's on GT) explain to someone that it's the equivalent of a cat purring. Maybe not 100% but I've used it since then and it seems to satisfy people who are convinced she's cold, scared, etc. ;)

Both Polli and Beau chatter a lot. With Polli, I can hear her teeth chatter.

These are the same people who in horror say, OMG they are so skinney at which time I usaully say, well, food is expensive and I have four of them, but don't worry it's his/her turn to eat today.

That usually shuts them up!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I totally understand how you feel about people always making comments. Our english bulldog has really bad hairloss on her sides, people always ask and I know its new to them and it looks funny but it gets old to me explaining the same thing all the time. " This is the way she was when we adopted her from the shelter, the vets says it's genetic seasonal flank aleopacia" then people stare even harder at me because they have not idea what that is, then I have to explain it's unexplainable hair loss on the sides of a bulldog that tends to occur during certian times of the year fo no aparent reason" I don't fault people asking as they are just curious so I am always patient and will explain.

Regardless of how she looks our dog is happy and we are taking great care of her and there is nothing wrong with her.

Hugs to you I know how you feel.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest mom2greys

Our Pablo does it too. For him, it's not an excitement thing... he does it randomly.

People have mentioned it to me, ("Oh look, he's nervous." or "He must be cold.") but I just say, "No, he has always done that... don't know why; it's just him... he's weird! :lol:

Guest JenFallon
These are the same people who in horror say, OMG they are so skinney at which time I usaully say, well, food is expensive and I have four of them, but don't worry it's his/her turn to eat today.

That usually shuts them up!

:rofl

Guest nerak254

I had a woman say that to me last year at the Blessing of Animals. I was standing on the steps talking to someone and she was in the same general area, with a cat on a 16 ft flexilead. :headwall She said "your dog must be cold" and I responded "no, she wants to eat your cat.:withstupid : I don't think she believed me because she stayed right where she was. I ended up leaving because Missy was absolutely beside herself with that blasted cat within just a few feet!

Edited by nerak254

well, seven isn't old...and I've never heard of that being an age related thing. I mean, she really could be nervous, or she really could be cold or she really could be excited...or maybe it's just a calming thing that she does...like some dogs will lick their forearms...

how long have you had her? has she always done it?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

All of my Greys have done this....I have always seen it as a sign they are happy...because they didn't do it when they weren't...It's kind of like the canine equivalent of a cat purring (IMO)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I've always thought this is a greyhound characteristic, along with leaning and the occasional bout of the quivers (Daisy's body will quiver all over when she's excited, and it gives the appearance that she's cold). From what folks have posted here, sounds like your grey is in good company!

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

If you're happy and you know it chatter your teeth! :D

My girls do it when they are excited or anticipating something -- going for a walk, meal time, cookie time, pill the cat time. Every night we give Dash a SAM-e, then everyone gets a treat. It started off with Dash getting a treat after his pill, then the kittens wanted one, then the dogs showed up. Mimosa and Mimi are our reminder service to pill the cat every night. Lots of teeth chattering going on there!

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest charmsmom
well, seven isn't old...and I've never heard of that being an age related thing. I mean, she really could be nervous, or she really could be cold or she really could be excited...or maybe it's just a calming thing that she does...like some dogs will lick their forearms...

how long have you had her? has she always done it?

Well, I know it's not cold because she did it when it was 95 degrees outside. It could be nerves...I've only had her a couple of weeks and her previous owners mentioned she was shy, but that wouldn't explain why she does it when it's just us at the house. I guess she would do it for excitement OR nerves...?

Yvain does it too! At first I thought it was a sign of an impeding seizure....but then I realized it's anticipation/excitment. He does it when he thinks he's getting a walk/massage/treats. Suffice to say, he ALWAYS thinks he's getting a walk/massage/treats. :D