Foster Boy Sonny Can't Urinate

This just started about 9pm tonight...he started panting, pacing, barking to go out so we let him out and he acts like he wants to urinate(gets in his urinating position) but nothing is coming out! I've never experienced this with a hound...do we rush him to the emergency Vet, call our after hours emergency Dr.? I hate to rush him anywhere unless I know I absolutely should because he is a foster dog and those medical bills can add up real quick but on the other hand, his well being is very important to us! I love this big guy!

I tried squeezing his bladder for him...got experienced at doing that because we had to do it for Alan for 3 weeks or so, but nothing.

He is in obvious discomfort. He finally laid down tho as I sit here typing. About 4 or 5 days ago I noticed a yellowish discharge from his hoohoo but it wasn't really bad so we kept on eye on him and it seemed like it got better then this happened tonight.

Any advice, suggestions or help would be greyt! :unsure

I did a search online but found no real helpful information about this.

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

I would call the ER clinic and see what they advise.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LovesDoggies

I think you need to get him to the emergency vet asap. He must have some type of blockage. Stones of some sort? I have had this happen with several cats, quite a few times. It is only a matter of time if he is unable to urinate. He needs to have the blockage removed asap.

Guest jurishound

Geez, Suzie - I would call too. Of course they will tell you they can't evaluate him unless you bring him in, but at least perhaps they can tell you if it is an emergency or not? Yikes - sounds painful. Good luck.

Yikes - I just read this:

THIS IS A LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION!!!!!!!!! When a dog, male or female, is unable to urinate, urine quickly accumulates and backs up into the bloodstream. If not treated in a matter of hours, the dog can, and most often will, die. Males are more susceptible to blockage, because of the difference in anatomy from females. Females have a short, relatively straight urethra; males have longer urethras that bend (turn) and narrow in a couple of places. One particular place of concern in males is the os penis, a normal narrowing of the path of the urethra. This is where most blockages occur.

ETA:

And this:

Urinary tract blockage:

Straining and crying while posturing to urinate without the production of urine constitutes an emergency. Call the animal hospital immediately regarding and evaluation. Especially in male cats there can be an obstruction of the urethra from minerals or small bladder stones. Without appropriate treatment, your pet can die. Urinary tract problems so not lend themselves well to first aid therapy nor herbal remedies. If you believe your dog or cat is unable to urinate, do not delay... seek veterinary attention immediately.

Edited by jurishound

I called the Dr. on call at the animal clinic and she said it can more than likely wait till normal hospital hours, altho she can't say for sure because she has to see him...but, because I saw a little bit of dribble on his hoohoo and he's not straining and he's not crying when he's trying and he's been sleeping now for the past 45 minutes since his "episode" then it may just be a urinary tract infection with "some" blockage. If it were totally blocked then there would be nothing coming out of him and he would be in pain. I will take him out once more before I go to bed and see what he does but at this point it's not an emergency...so it seems :unsure

Suzie Collins

Did he pee yet? Can you give him a beer? Seriously, I"m not kidding. Half a beer to loosen things up if he strained his kidneys will help. Although don't buy Heineken. Toby has let us know he prefers Mich Light. ;-)

Hope everything is okay.

Hopefully he has peed by now. If he hasn't and is in pain/discomfort I would take him to the vet ASAP. This can be VERY painful and the longer it is left the worse the damage is. Please update when you can. :goodluck

when they have a UTI then will strain because it feels like they have to go when in fact there is nothing there. When Burp had a few UTIs I didn't catch the first day or two, he'd run around and try to pee and then when nothing came out try to poop.

Hopefully some antiibiotics will clear him up asap!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hope he is OK, sounds like urinary retention. Now to find out why. hope it's just a pill curable.

Update?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Either stones/blockage or he could be tied up.

Fingers crossed that he's feeling better today.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Sweetgreygirls3

Hey Suzie,

I left a message on your phone to get a hold of me ASAP. I can get Sonny into the Vet as soon as I can get him from you. Be sure to have a list of all his meds, Mg's, and how often he has to have them.

Thanks,

Sandy

Thanks everyone, for your well wishes and advice! It can be scary when you don't know what you are dealing with and it has the potential of being life threatening :unsure He peed last night before I went to bed but continued to run around from spot to spot in the yard acting like he still needed to urinate. I have a call into my local vet because our group's vet is 200 miles away from me :( I am awaiting his return call. He is calm today and acting normal, so far.

Suzie Collins

Thanks everyone, for your well wishes and advice! It can be scary when you don't know what you are dealing with and it has the potential of being life threatening :unsure He peed last night before I went to bed but continued to run around from spot to spot in the yard acting like he still needed to urinate. I have a call into my local vet because our group's vet is 200 miles away from me :( I am awaiting his return call. He is calm today and acting normal, so far.

That does sound like a nasty UTI. :( He'll feel better pretty quickly once he's got some antibiotics. :grouphug

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

This is called tying-up and it is not uncommon in racing greyhounds. One of our boys has the same problem that comes and goes every so often. Most of the racing kennels use a product called K9 Ease and some give beer as someone else mentioned. The problem usually goes away after they have been off the track for a while. How long have you had him?

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Sonny went to see the vet today and he does have a very nasty UTI...hopefully this clears up with one round of antibiotics.

He's such a good boy! I have to get him to eat now...his appetite has been very poor these past 4-5 days. He is down to 82 lbs but can not lose anymore weight.

This is called tying-up and it is not uncommon in racing greyhounds. One of our boys has the same problem that comes and goes every so often. Most of the racing kennels use a product called K9 Ease and some give beer as someone else mentioned. The problem usually goes away after they have been off the track for a while. How long have you had him?

Rich

He has been off the track for over a year now (maybe 14 months)

Suzie Collins

Sending more prayers for precious Sonny. Come on and eat sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.