Ej's Craiger

Greys4Us

Craiger came to our rescue group from Florida on June 9, 2007. He was destined to go into the home of a young family but circumstances changed when the family came to visit him. They chose a big fawn male instead that had also been sent with Craiger as an extra foster dog.

He stayed at our home for the time being because there were no foster homes available for him. And as he made himself comfortable, we realized what a really nice guy he was. He was curious, attentive, energetic, and just a big black love bug. He was always under foot and in the way, but in a nice way. It was just too hard to get annoyed with anything he did. He learned that baby gates were something to jump over and there was none here that he couldn’t conquer, no matter how high we put them. However, that was not a problem for us because there was nothing he wanted to do on his own. The only reason he jumped them was to be in the same room with us.

He found a way to get his head between the door and the door jamb every time we opened a door. We had to watch not to close his head in the door accidentally. He was an “in your face” kind of dog, but in a quiet and unimposing way.

Those “Craiger” eyes were something to behold. He had the deepest and most expressive eyes of any greyhound we have ever known. He could look into our eyes and it would make our hearts melt.

At the end of June, we was slow to start one morning when we went out for the first time of the day and we noticed that it hurt him to move his head. A trip to the vet resulted in a course of antibiotics for what was diagnosed as a possible infected salivary gland. But after the antibiotics were done, a large egg size lump persisted in his neck.

By early July, the lump had not gone down, so we took him to the vet again and this time the prognosis was dire after an examination of his lymph glands (which were all swollen). A biopsy was recommended to determine if Craiger had lymphoma. At first we weren’t worried because he was so young. And then we thought that if it was lymphoma, he could certainly live a lot longer on chemo. But a week later we received the worst possible news: Craiger had high grade lymphoma and it was too late to treat him with chemotherapy. It was then that Craiger officially became our dog when we adopted him.

We brought him home and he started on a high dose of prednisone to keep him comfortable. His life expectancy was between two to six months. This early period was the hardest on us because we had to digest this information a little at a time and then accept it. Our lives consisted of getting up every day knowing that this wonderful dog had a limited amount of time to live. But after watching how he enjoyed his life and knowing that he was feeling well each day, it became something we just learned to live with.

And it was good to cook for him and give him supplements and watch him still jump over those baby gates many times a day as we walked around the house. When he pressed his head on our leg and walked with us, the connection was almost spiritual. How can a dog hold his head flat against our leg and still manage to walk and jump over baby gates? He did it.

Every day we hoped that by some miracle, the diagnosis would suddenly be proven wrong and that he just had an infection or some other easily curable disease and he would snap back to normal once that mistake had been corrected. There were even some days when we almost forgot for as long as an hour that he was not going to be with us for months or years.

And now we have had to face the day we had been dreading. He had a bad day a few days ago and we thought then that the next day would be the day for him to cross the bridge. But then the next day he was back to his normal self. That lasted for two more days. Then this morning it was clear that he was not just having a bad day. There was no mistaking the eyes. They were vacant and empty.

We have had some sad times losing dogs that have been part of our family. But this is one that is exceptionally hard. Craiger was so young. We wanted so much for him to have a long life to look forward to here as part of our family, but that was not meant to be. We will mourn his loss greatly but be gratified in some unexplainable way for knowing him and having him grace our lives if only for a wonderful brief period of time.

We love you Craiger and will miss you more than words can ever explain. And you have taken a piece of our hearts with you that will never be replaced. Please look for another big black guy named Cody and a sweet little black girl named Keisha.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadness rains on our hearts for the loss of your boy. Thank you for taking such good care of him.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I am so very sorry for your loss. Godspeed brave and precious Angel. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so SORRY!!!!! This brought tears to my eyes and I am just so Sorry he was sooo Young!!! :grouphug:f_red:f_pinkf_yellow

:gh_run2 Run Free EJ Craiger

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Such a sad story.

Thank you for everything you did for this amazing boy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Godspeed Craiger, you are terribly missed.

:f_red:gh_run2:f_red

Hugs,

Carla

Guest bowiebears

My condolences on the way-too-early death of your boy.

Such special love is never lost; it remains to console us all.

One day we will all be reunited at the Bridge.

--isaac