To Neuter Or Not To Neuter, That Is The Question.

Guest Mags123

I have a 4 year old retired racer who is a wonderful, beautiful, kind and affectionate boy. He does have some wild moments and as he has been settling in (he has not been with us for long) he has become more boisterous and full of life every day which is so brilliant to see. He just has the greatest energy and we love him to bits. He does have crazy moments but he's only 4 and everything is so new and exciting you can hardly blame him for being a little over the top. Anyway, we have been told by the adoption centre that neutering is our decision and we are unsure about what to do. We don't want to put him through it if it's unecessary but I worry about medical problems in later life. We have an appointment with the vet next week and so decision time approaches! Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would for sure neuter! The recovery for the boys is usually very easy and then you won't have to worry about health issues later down the road. We adopted a senior male (non grey) who came to us with testicular cancer. Your boy sounds very special and sweet! Oh...and we love pictures. ;)

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Neuter! There are too many unwanted puppies out there - you don't want your boy getting loose and adding to the population problem. It's a common procedure with little complications.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I also vote for neuter. :) As already mentioned there are health benefits, plus he won't lose his mind if you come across a girl-dog in season. We adopted our grey on a Sunday, and only on reviewing the adoption paperwork a week later we learned that he was neutered only on the Friday before. Even a couple of days after the surgery he was perfectly fine, so much that we didn't even think it was done so recently. He was 5.5 at the time.

I would definitely neuter. The procedure is not that difficult and his long term health could be much more adversely affected by not neutering. You must not be in the US, because I cannot imagine any adoption group here saying it is your option. Do your boy a favor and neuter. :) Seriously, it is a simple procedure.

Edited due to spelling :lol

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I personally would never neuter a healthy dog (and even more a male!) without strong behavioural or medical

reasons. My hounds (male and female) are both intact (8 and 11 years old)

In females, neutering before the first season reduces the risk of mammary cancer and piometra, in males there's

no significant health advantage. Neutering increases the risk of Osteosarcoma.

I found this article talking about castration...

Visit My Websitehttp://www.gsdhelpline.com/neutr.html

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest ArtysPeople

Don't neuter him, as long as you're sure he'll use a condom if he ever gets out after smelling that lady dog in season two houses down.

That's irony, btw. Count me in the pro-neutering, anti-extra puppies class, regardless of alleged health benefits either way.

I think this article is very interesting and offers a lot of valuable info concerning the neutering of dogs and the

health benefits and risks...

Visit My Websitehttp://neutering.org/files/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Guest LovesDoggies
My hounds (male and female) are both intact (8 and 11 years old)

I'm just curious -- how's that working out for you? You had them together for many years and no baby doggies?

Guest KennelMom

I would neuter a pet, unless you are 1000000000000000000% sure he will never ever ever father a litter of pups (there are enough greyhounds/greyhound mixes looking for homes). That said, I would probably prefer to leave males in tact but would always opt to spay a bitch - eliminates the risk of pyometria. I used to think I would never ever own an intact dog...now I have two (male and female) and they really aren't any different than my altered dogs. Currently our male, non-greyhound, will probably never be neutered b/c he needs to be available for breeding, but the bitch will be altered once the breeder/original owner gives us the OK.

For 99.999999% of pets, I'd say neuter. Make pet owning a lot easier b/c you don't have to worry about repercussions of them being unaltered (impregnating another dog, trying to escape b/c the dog two houses down is in heat, marking, aggression, etc...).

I own an intact male (non-Grey, show dog). He can be a treat at times. Overall, his behavior is not a big deal, but he does need to be watched around other male dogs - he can take exception to others at times, and this is not uncommon in intact males. Believe it or not, his major issues are with neutered males, so we have to be careful about them getting in his face.

It is correct that there are not many health problems associated with intact males. But personally, if I have a pet that I do not intend to show or breed, I will neuter. There is no reason not to (short of health issues in the boy, prior to the surgery), and it's such a simple procedure in the boys. They recover very quickly, too.

Also stated are the possiblities of unwanted litters. It does happen where an intact dog gets out. Obviously, those of us with intact animals are FAR MORE careful, but accidents happen, even to the best people.

To the Mags123 - I am curious, where are you located? I suspect outside the US, as I do not know of any US adoption groups that don't alter the animal prior to adoption...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

My hounds (male and female) are both intact (8 and 11 years old)

I'm just curious -- how's that working out for you? You had them together for many years and no baby doggies?

Yes...I have had both since puppy age (3 months). The female Soldi (yesterday was her 8th birthday) only

enters in season once per year. My male Ivy (will be 11 in November) couldn't care less until her 4 'receptive days' when he gets

interested. These 4 days I walk them separately...at home, I separate them when I leave the house only

during those 4 days. Soldi is very clean and Ivy really not very 'sexual'... no problems ever.

Marion, Ivy & Soldi