Marla Seems Slightly Depressed, Sometimes Won't Eat.

ZoomDoggy

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marla is still holding steady. I'm not sure what to try after she tires of the rice & beef. I'm sure I'll come up with something. On a whim I offered her dogfood last night. No dice. :rolleyes: I left a message for my vet saying I am ready to try that prescription for stimulating her appetite.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest greytmonty

I am late to this thread so I don't know if you've already tried super smelly food like tuna or whitefish. Those seemed interesting to Monty even after he lost his appetite for other things.

Now he just eats rabbit, harumph......

Guest Winterwish

Maybe a can of Wysong's chicken or turkey?

Or liver? Bell and Evan's sells a container of chicken livers for under $3- just mentioning the price Aimee because you can get a nice amount for a good price. You could do a quick boil of them,or put them in the oven,even toaster oven,in tin foil for about 15 minutes,cut them up as an add in.

or salmon to try to get her appetite going?

Also Aimee,another thing you could try is to simply roast a chicken for dinner,I mean for yourselves too. That way the slow,steady smell of roasting chicken floods the place,maybe making it just too hard to resist by the time dinner's ready.

Come on baby,you need to start eating and get better! :hope:kiss2

Thank you for the ideas. :) I know there are many things I have yet to try, and I will, it's just frustrating having to come up with new novel stuff all the time. I wish I could have my greedy drooly little Marzie back. :(

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I'm feeling bleak. I feel like Marla is slowly fading away and there's nothing I can do about it. I resorted to using a turkey baster to force baby food into her this morning, because nothing I offered was tempting to her. Not even the yogurt which she has always loved. The new prescription I started on Friday that was supposed to help stimulate her appetite does not seem to be making any difference.

She has lost some weight, but she's not skeletal... yet. Her gums look a little pale. And she's listless as ever. Only gets up when I ask her to. Otherwise no concrete symptoms. No limping, no fever, no coughing, no vomiting, no diarrhea (soft stools due to the weird foods, but not the liquid diarrhea I'd feared). Eyes look bright, fur is shiny, though thinning.

:riphair:headwall:cry1

Guest GiJenn51

What about some honey on top of marshmallows? Just for the calorie factor. At least putting some honey on her tongue will get her some sugar. :(

I don't have a lot of ideas. I've done the babyfood down the throat too. Not much else...

Guest Winterwish

maybe 1/2 cup of half and half or milk? just to hopefully get the feeling something in her stomach and get an appetite for more of something?

Also Aimee,are you eating with her? That helps Dreamer eat when he's been not eating. I kind of Jane Goodall it with him with some chicken.

She did wander up to the dining table last night during our dinner. So I gave her small pieces of my bread and acorn squash until she stopped wanting more. Hubby jokingly said I was breaking her (we don't ordinarily encourage table-begging), but I said if she wants it, I'm giving it to her. So he handed me the bread from his plate too. :blush:

I'm sorry to read that poor Marla isn't getting much better. Did you run a tick panel? It could be a tick disease like

Ehrlichiosis...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Geez Aimee I just got on GT today after weeks away. I vote for a playdate at our house too. Of course my backyard is a swamp, but I'm off to get some new straw any day now and that will make it better. I also do the slow cooking of something in the house to help my dogs appetite if they are off their feed. Recently Lily was because of street work being done and she is afraid of the noise. Any chance that has been going on? Mine get cooked squash often, and that is a favorite. We also get the canned mackeral, and sardines in tomato sauce which is a favorite as well. All that stinky fish stuff is good. I do cook up ground beef/turkey/pork for them changing it every week if possible so they don't get bored with their homemade "cooked" dinner to their kibble.

The quinoa concoction for Zippy that Chancey would eat is really simple to make and I only had to cook once a week and then dole it out onto his kibble. I'd be happy to share recipes any time. Call me if you have a free night. Carole :gh_face

Geez Aimee I just got on GT today after weeks away. I vote for a playdate at our house too...

Thanks Carole. I'm sorry to sound so bleak. But I've about given up on buying or making anything in large amounts for Marla, since she doesn't seem to like anything more than three times, not even necessarily in a row. So far we've been through satin balls, raw diet chunks (pre-made frozen raw-diet food, bought at a pet boutique), many and sundry canned and dry dogfoods, thin sliced ham, thin sliced turkey, thin sliced beef, fresh boiled turkey, peanut butter, yogurt, frozen yogurt, various cheeses, scrambled eggs, fresh boiled rice & beef, pasta noodles, several varieties of grocery store "potted meat", canned sardines, canned tuna, canned chicken, various flavors of meat baby food, breakfast sausage, ribeye steak...

Seriously, I can't even remember now all the things I've tried.

A playdate sounds nice, but Marla doesn't play anymore. :sad1 When we've had other hounds over for playdates, she just lies down in the grass away from the others.

I'm exhausted and frustrated. And very very sad.

I'm sorry to hear about sweet Marla. :( I went through the

same thing when Rusty wouldn't eat, I tried soooo many different

things and he didn't want any of it. Then all of a sudden he started eating!

I'm keeping you and Marla in my prayers. :hope:candle:hope:grouphug

I know how hard this is. We went through this with Angel Queenie and just when I would think it was time she would have some days where she couldn't eat enough. It is so sad and so frustrating. Sending my prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm starting to feel like Marla has given up altogether the will to live. :cry1

I syringed two jars of baby food into her mouth, and she barely even made the effort to swallow. I've given up all pretense of tricking her into eating pills. I have to force them in every time now. I believe I'll have to bring her to the vet again this week. It just kills me that there are still no other apparent symptoms.

She didn't even wag at me when I came home from work today. She just stood in the hallway and hung her head. :(

:(

Does she have some pain meds?

Sending hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have Deramaxx, Rimadyl and Tramadol on hand (all leftover from Chancy), but none have been suggested by my vet. I'll be asking again about it tomorrow.

Worth an ask. Maybe the Tramadol, since she hasn't been eating well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.