Our Halo Girl Is At The Emergency Clinic

Guest mom2greys

How is Halo girl today Lynne?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh no, poor Halo and poor Alyssa! I hope that the vets are able to fix Halo up and have her home again soon. Alyssa, try not to panic--most of the time things that look just awful still heal right on up. :grouphug

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest mom2greys

Well, Halo spent the night at the clinic and did well following the procedure. The degloving injury was extensive enough to not allow primary closure with sutures. The vet had to trim some of the skin because the edges were too jagged. She will require daily dressing changes with sugar application (the sugar acts as an antibacterial but also stimulates healing and new growth), and will need sedation/analgesia for that. The vet warns that some of the skin may not be viable because its blood supply has been compromised, and tissue MAY need to be removed.

The leg is splinted and she is on an antibiotic, fentanyl patch, and will be started on Metacam.

We picked her up this morning, but we'll be taking her back this eve. for her first dressing change. She will be kept relatively quiet and inactive in the crate in the livingroom for the next couple of weeks until she heals. :(

Guest Winterwish

Poor darling,and mom and dad too. :grouphug That's so good she was able to come home in between,she must be so glad to be resting a bit at home. Keeping Halo in my thoughts and prayers. Please get well soon sweetheart. :dogcookie:heart

Guest mom2greys

Thanks for all of the kind words of encouragement everybody!

Alyssa is feeling better about the whole situation now that Halo is home. Last night she kept asking if Halo was "gonna die?" :( I guess lots of things go through a child's mind when they see a lot of blood.

Halo is in good spirits and we just had her out to potty. I grabbed the opportunity to get a couple of pics of the poor girl. We have to head back to the clinic again in a couple of hours to have the dressing changed.

IMG_0041.jpg

She has an empty iv bag covering her dressing & splint to keep it from getting wet.

IMG_0043.jpg

Oh pretty girl...heal swiftly. Sending many prayers and gentle hugs. My gosh...she is just gorgeous! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Continued prayers for your prettiest girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Owie! Hope she's feeling better today--she's beautiful. If you get tried of putting the bag on her foot everytime she goes out you might want to purchase a Medipaw boot. It's a boot that is waterproof and breathable and it slips on with velcro and a drawstring top. It's a great time saver--my girl just broke her toe she is casted too---I love the boot! :P

Be careful w the fentanyl/Duragesic patch on your pup; please keep an eye on your daughter that she doesn't touch it. It is absorbed through the skin and gums and can cause serious problems if too much is absorbed into a little body. If she (or the dog) seem really sleepy or hard to arouse, call the vet/human ER and act accordingly. It's a great product, but it is VERY potent and can cause serious problems in high doses.

Hope your baby will feel better soon, and that more surgery isn't needed.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest greytcreations
Hey everyone,

We had Halo & Tator Tot out to our soccer field for a run this evening with our friends' two greyhounds as well. They all had a good run around everyone had a good time. We were about to leash them up and take them home, when one took off, leading yet another chase. They rounded the corner and were at the opposite side of the park, and it looked like Halo got shoved into the fence. She ran a few more steps and immediately stopped and sat down. From where I was standing, it looked like she stopped to have a poo, but Rob went running to her right away. I saw him lean down to pick her up and start to carry her. I got a sick feeling when I realized that she was injured. :eek The top of her right front paw had all of the skin torn back, from her ankle joint to her toenails, leaving all of the tendons exposed and dripping lots of blood. We figure that she got the paw stuck through or under the chain-link fence and ripped the skin back when she pulled it out.

We immediately took her the the emergency clinic and they will be putting her under anesthetic later tonight to see if they can assess the injury and pull the skin back together. She will be on IV fluids with pain meds and antibiotics.

:weep

I feel so bad for our sweet girl and also for our daughter,Alyssa, who was very freaked out when she saw the injury... I don't think I have ever seen her cry so much... she was so worried for Halo. :(

They are going to call us later tonight after they are finished working with her.

We sure could use positive thoughts and healing energy sent our way for Halo.

:weep

She is so beatufil! I hope she heals quickly. Hugs to Halo and Allysa. They are in our prayers.

Guest sorenkkg

That's a lovely bandage Halo's got there :) I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good-- boy, these pups and their thin skin + love of getting into trouble somehow.

I'm continuing good thoughts and :goodluck:kiss2 for Halo

How is Halo this morning? Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.