My Foster Has Tape Worms

All I can say is YUCK!

I really don't like the little buggers.

I hope I can get some drugs today. Her vet appt isn't until Aug 9th and I don't want to wait that long.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest mountain4greys

I don't blame you. I'd do it right away to. I can't stand worms of any kind, and can't bear the thought of the poor dog having them. I think that is very nice of you to do this for your foster so quickly. :):):):):)

When Passion had tape worms, my vet said it doesn't get passed (unless they have fleas and one of my hounds eats a flea) so I'm not worried about that.

I am worried about finding little bits of "rice" around my house now.

:puke:puke:puke:puke:puke:puke

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Yuck! My cat had them two years ago and it was so gross. I put some of the segments (they were all over!) in a plastic bag and just brought that to the vet's office. They gave me the medication without doing a fecal test. One pill and they were all gone!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Very YUCK!! Rascal had them when I first brought him home and I was a novice dog owner. It completely grossed me out!! I laugh at that now!! Especially since he lost bowel control and I got way too familar with his back end!!

Hope your vet lets you pick something up...mine has in the past.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

You should just be able to call the vet and go pick something up. The foster shouldn't have to go with you.

sorry, forgot to say that I haven't had to bring fosters in to get the drugs but the clinic had already seen them so it wasn't an issue. I still haven't heard back yet so waiting to hear from my group first.

My co-worker lives by the vet so she offered to pick it up and bring it to work tomorrow.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I just called the vet and they will give me the pills without bringing her in. Which I thought would be ok :yay

And my very nice co-worker offered to pick up the pills for me since she drives by on her way home which saves me 80 miles of driving! :yay

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Unfortunately one of our hounds got tape worms a few months ago. Fortunately they were easily "disposed of" and the other two hounds did not get them too. Icky!!!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Her poop wasn't moving tonight but I get the pills tomorrow so will still give them obviously since I don't want little rice like remnants around my house!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest LynnM

Check with your group before picking the meds up. Vet dispensed tapeworm meds are WAY expensive ($25+/dose). Your group may well be able to get the medication for much less. If they can, let them. Even though tapeworms are gross, they won't hurt the dog (of course a large burden in a malnourished dog is a bad thing, but for the average dog it's no big thing). As far as parasites, go, if you have to have one, this is the one to have. You might have to feed up until you get the meds to clear it, but it takes a lot of food to make up the cost!

Lynn

Don't worry about having little rice remnants. They dry up into little dust- or seed-like particles, and if you don't have fleas, they won't hurt anything.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

As far as parasites, go, if you have to have one, this is the one to have.

Greytalk makes me :lol

Worms are gross, any kind of worm. I'd want them gone too! :blink:

Luckily I've only had to deal with the kind you can't see....and you should have seen me flip out when I found ONE flea on the puppy the other night. Since then they've been frontlined, and I've washed everything washable in my house. If the couch could fit, it too would have been washed.

What an awesome co-worker you have!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

What an awesome co-worker you have!

Yep. I'm gonna pick her up some flowers tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure she remembered the vet first. She even admitted she might forget. :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Yep... count on these forums for laugh filled discussions of poop and all its hidden wonders ;) No wonder Dirty Jobs is popular with the membership...

Greytalk makes me :lol

Worms are gross, any kind of worm. I'd want them gone too! :blink:

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest LindsaySF

I think worms are cool, but then again I'm weird. :lol

In the future you can order worming meds online, without a prescription, for much cheaper. :)