Introducing Ella!

Guest KaylyRed

Guest KaylyRed

Quin has only been with us for about four months, but already we knew that we wanted to be a two-hound family. We started searching for the perfect hound, and our search ended at the GPA-Wisconsin kennel when we met a happy little dark brindle girl with a helicopter tail. She had just turned two, so it's clear that she wasn't much into the racing life. We were set to give her a comfy spot in our home and our hearts to call her own. A couple weeks later, the houndie originally referred to as "Joan" came home with us, and with a new name--Ella.

Our first night with our little straight-from-the track angel was pretty uneventful. She spooked at the usual things (funny sounds, new objects she'd never seen before), but seemed to take it in stride. She hit it off with Quin right from the start (and it didn't take long for them to establish that she was going to be the alpha bitch, thank you very much!), and she even paid no attention to our cat, Eris. Things were looking good!

The next morning, my husband and I took the pups out for their morning constitutional. (We're having a new septic put in, so there's no fence in our yard right now.) I'm still not sure how it happened, because I'm always so careful...but Ella somehow ripped the leash from my hand. I let out a cry, and my husband spun around and dove for Ella's leash. Somehow, he ripped the webbing between his fingers open in the process, and twisted his ankle. I was frantic for Ella's safety, but had to take my broken and bleeding husband to the ER. I called my kids and sent them out on a mission--try to find our girl!

The kids DID find Ella. Fortunately she'd tangled her leash around a tree branch. Unfortunately, in her frantic run she'd shredded her paw pads. The kids (I'm so proud of them) got her home with the help of a neighbor with a Suburban, got her into the house, and put her on a blanket where they comforted her and waited for my mom (whom I'd called) to arrive to help them.

We got Ella's paws bandaged, and I took her to the vet who put her on antibiotics to prevent an infection and sent us home. But later that day she was vomiting and so sick that she wouldn't even stand up to do it. Whatever we managed to get her to drink came straight back up. I rushed her back to the vet's and our little girl ended up spending the night on IV fluids. It was a rough few days for her, and for all of us. :(

Fortunately, just over a week later Ella is on the mend. Her paws are healing nicely, and she's happy and sweet and that helicopter tail is back. (We've taken to calling her Ella-copter!) So, here she is in all her glory...our sweet little Ella girl.

Quin_and_Ella_Day1.jpg

Before the "flight," here's Ella with her new friend, Quin.

Ellas_paws.jpg

On the mend with ouchy paws. This is just before she discovered that dog beds are not to be feared...they're actually comfortable!

Ella.jpg

Who can resist this pretty, petite face?

Congrats on chipping! :confetti Ella's a little beauty, and I know her paws will heal soon (nice touch with the blue vet wrap :lol). Hopefully this will be her first and last escape. She's a very lucky girlie! :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

she has one set of piercing eyes...

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Congratulations!!!

What a pretty girl. I hope she doesn't have any more "adventures".

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congrats! I noticed that she is wearing a different collar in every photo. :wub: She is beautiful!

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest KaylyRed
Congrats! I noticed that she is wearing a different collar in every photo.

That's because her mom is a bit of a collar junkie. :blush

The geometric design one is Quin's old collar. My husband thought it was too girlie. The tulip one is her new collar from Crown Collars. And she has another one on the way. :wacko:

Guest PhillyPups

:wub: Congrats, she is stunning and looks so at home :wub:

How is hubby doing now?? I know sweet Ella-copter must have stolen his :beatheart already :D

What was her name? Do you know her lineage? I only ask because when I look at her I see my Carmen looking back at me....

Greyhoundfoster001.jpg

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest KaylyRed
What was her name? Do you know her lineage? I only ask because when I look at her I see my Carmen looking back at me....

Greyhoundfoster001.jpg

Ella's registered name is Lisbon Joan. Her father is Kiowa Sweet Trey and her mother is Bohemian Unity (love that name!). As far as I can tell, she never raced. She doesn't even show up on Greyhound-Data.com, and she just turned 2 on June 22nd--both pretty sure signs that she was destined for the couch, not the track. :lol