Some Good News! 1 Year Survival Chf & Cancer

A year ago, Isaac was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. A few months later, he had a squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. A couple of months ago, I thought his time was up, but it turned out to be an infection, rather than a return of the cancer.

Our vet is amazed! Nobody dreamed Isaac would still be with us a year after his CHF diagnosis, nevermind with the cancer added in.

At first, our vet razzed me about the "Isaac stew" I cook every weekend. But, Isaac is the shiniest, healthiest sick dog you'll ever see! :P

He's a little wobbly, and sleeps most of the time. (He drags his bed outside so he can lay in the HEAT!)

For those with "infirm" dogs who need to maintain weight and can have little/no salt, here is "Isaac Stew"...

10 lb chicken leg/thigh quarters divided between 2 crockpots and cooked 24 hours.

Remove the bones and smush them up (they'll be very soft).

Put the chicken, the smushed bones and all the following into a BIG stockpot and cook until veggies are done:

5 lbs cheap ground beef (high fat)

2 lbs sliced squash (yellow and/or zucchini)

1 lb chopped carrot

1 lb chopped spinach

2 big cans diced tomatoes

Sometimes I use fresh veg, sometimes frozen.

I freeze this in big Glad or Ziplock containers.

He gets 1.5 Cups of stew and 1 cup of softened high calorie kibble (Nutro High Energy), twice per day.

Also a multi-vitamin and Vitamin E.

:yay for my Isaac boy!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Way to go Isaac! :couchjump

It's nice to have some good news for a change!

:kiss2 Isaac

p.s. Why you like laying in the heat? :huh Lub, Callie :paw

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Oh, and Isaac is REALLY enjoying the big box of BurpDogs that arrived yesterday!!! It takes him some time to eat one, because he doesn't have many teeth and has a hole in the side of his face (it never closed after his cancer surgery). But, he manages JUST FINE!

Pam

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Now how cool is that. Like the recipe, too. Not sure how I'll keep the *people* away from it, but.

Give that boy a scritch from me and tell him he's the most handsome dog in the world.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Congrats! :)

Is this the old guy who drags his bed around and needs jammies?

Yep! He doesn't need jammies this time of year... but he REALLY liked the ones GTers sent him last winter!

BTW, Isaac turned 12 in March. He's the last survivor of his litter. He's AKC registered (though his grandma was a NGA dog). He's been with us since he was 11 weeks old. :wub:

Pam

Guest KennelMom
:yay :yay Yaaaaaaaaaay Isaac!!! Thanks for the recipe...It's been a constant battle to keep weight on our old man Caesar, so methinks I'll make him up some Isaac stew this weekend! :thumbs-up Edited by KennelMom

We're hauling 7 dogs up to GPA-Atlanta tomorrow... I set the totebag full of extra collars/leashes by the back door, so we wouldn't forget it at o-dark-thirty in the morning. For some weird reason, there was a brand new hedgehog stuffy in the bag! Isaac grabbed it and took off for his bed.

When I called him to eat his dinner, he brought the hedgehog (with the tag still on it) back and laid it by his bowl, so it would be handy when he finished eating! He's still carrying his new baby around with him everywhere and telling all the youngsters to leave it alone! He wanted to take it outside, but I wouldn't let him.

Pam

That just makes me grin. Way to go Isaac! :confetti

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I don't believe you'll be getting that hedgehog back in the bag.

Silly booger. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Congrats! :)

Is this the old guy who drags his bed around and needs jammies?

Yep! He doesn't need jammies this time of year... but he REALLY liked the ones GTers sent him last winter!

BTW, Isaac turned 12 in March. He's the last survivor of his litter. He's AKC registered (though his grandma was a NGA dog). He's been with us since he was 11 weeks old. :wub:

Such a sweet baby :wub:

Glad he's having such a good time :colgate

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Tenderhearts

What a wonderful positive update! I am definitely going to cook up a batch of that stew for my CHF kid (Raven), and btw, my vet gave her one good year max once she started on the meds for CHF, and that was two years ago this past April. She is 14 now :D