Foster Needs To Gain Weight

Olga was finally spayed Monday and she is acting like nothing happened. She has so much energy it makes me tired!

Anyway, I've had her around 3 months and have been trying to get weight on her the entire time.

Any suggestions on what to add to her food to help her gain weight? She needs about 3-4 lbs and she's going to her forever home on July 7th so I want to get her something this weekend

Thanks

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Fat balls perhaps?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Fat balls perhaps?

Sorry, meant to say that I had been giving her that. I don't think they are fatty enough :lol

I am going to make another batch this weekend.

I was also giving her spam (low sodium) for the past week

Just need to add more fat but not sure what.

Are there any treats I can make that would help her gain weight?

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Meatballs, aka Fatballs, aka Satin balls... I used to make them for Sissy.

I'm sure the recipe is on here in various forms if you do a quick search. If you don't find it, I'll type it up for you later.

eta: I type slow. :lol

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Meatballs, aka Fatballs, aka Satin balls... I used to make them for Sissy.

I'm sure the recipe is on here in various forms if you do a quick search. If you don't find it, I'll type it up for you later.

eta: I type slow. :lol

Yep, already been giving her those and will make more this weekend

Ground lamb and some lite oilive oil (1 teaspoon twice a day) helped Lola. But I'm just a beginner :blush

Does lamb have more fat/calories than hambuger?

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Have you increased the amount of food she is getting? Also some kibbles are higher in calories then others.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Have you increased the amount of food she is getting? Also some kibbles are higher in calories then others.

Yes, I increased it to 5 cups a day and poops more so that wasn't helping. She's back to alittle over 4 cups and poops are back to normal.

I will check calories when I go to Petco tomorrow.

A month ago when I was at Aimee's M&G, the Nutro lady told me to get the high energy kibble but I don't care for how soft their poop gets on Nutro. I might just get a small bag for the next week and see if that helps.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Just adding some raw hamburger to her kibble should help.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Yes...I've heard that Lamb is fattier than hamburger and also happens to be easier to digest for my girl.

Ok, I will check at the grocery store.

Thanks!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Egg nog or real ice cream.

My girls love both and they are all on diets now! :blink:

I gave Olga a frosty paw and she got Big D, wonder if she would with egg nog???? I know I don't need to drink it if she can't :rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Maybe Boost Plus or Ensure Plus.

My mother has been on this to help her gain weight. It's worked for her.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest meandmygreys

Farnam makes a food additive called Weight Builder...it is for horses and is meant to add calories with out the risk of colic...I gave this to Bonnie in later years..it is 40% fat..it really packed the weight on her..I think the label says it's alright for dogs too.. :blink: it's just basically high calorie.I put a teaspoon on her food every day....Ensure Plus worked too, but pretty pricey..I tried the fat balls and they worked great...except I was handing them out to the others too and Justy got the squirts.. :eek He has a sensitive tummy also..

Farnam makes a food additive called Weight Builder...it is for horses and is meant to add calories with out the risk of colic...I gave this to Bonnie in later years..it is 40% fat..it really packed the weight on her..I think the label says it's alright for dogs too.. :blink: it's just basically high calorie.I put a teaspoon on her food every day....Ensure Plus worked too, but pretty pricey..I tried the fat balls and they worked great...except I was handing them out to the others too and Justy got the squirts.. :eek He has a sensitive tummy also..

Thanks. There's a store near me that has it.

My mother has been on this to help her gain weight. It's worked for her.

Thanks

I will pick some up

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

:lol Cat food always packs it on for Birdie! (Just Kidding not suggesting you purposely feed it, but it does work :eek) Edited by Finnsliz

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest lizmego

Some greyhounds just tend to be skinny and that may be Olga's case. I would screw with her digestive tract too much lest she gets the Big D. 4-5 pounds is really not that much.

I have found that feeding raw chicken necks- with skin- tends to be pretty fattening. I have to watch and make sure I don't overdo it with our hounds when chicken necks are on the menu!

I think a 30- or 40-pound case runs about $17-18 here in Phoenix.

ETA: We get our raw meat from Von Hanson's, which has TWO stores in Eagan, MN (!).

Von Hanson's Meats

1320 Duckwood Dr, Eagan, MN

(651) 452-8660

Von Hanson's Meats

2141 Cliff Rd, Eagan, MN

(651) 687-9311

I'm sure they don't stock the same things there as they do here in AZ (their sole store out west!), but there's a chance they strive to work with raw feeders.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I have found that feeding raw chicken necks- with skin- tends to be pretty fattening. I have to watch and make sure I don't overdo it with our hounds when chicken necks are on the menu!

I think a 30- or 40-pound case runs about $17-18 here in Phoenix.

ETA: We get our raw meat from Von Hanson's, which has TWO stores in Eagan, MN (!).

Von Hanson's Meats

1320 Duckwood Dr, Eagan, MN

(651) 452-8660

Von Hanson's Meats

2141 Cliff Rd, Eagan, MN

(651) 687-9311

I'm sure they don't stock the same things there as they do here in AZ (their sole store out west!), but there's a chance they strive to work with raw feeders.

Thanks!

I just picked up some pork necks tonight

:lol Cat food always packs it on for Birdie! (Just Kidding not suggesting you purposely feed it, but it does work :eek)

I've given her 2 cans of wet cat food this week since she was all plugged up from her spay surgery, worked like a charm.

Did you know that it smells the same coming out? :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Yup. Dylan's poop smelled like canned Pro-plan. :puke But since we walked up and back the same road, I picked it up on the way back. :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

She wasn't sure what to make of the pork neck but once she started chewing on it, she was in heaven!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest crazy4greys

I used Ensure Plus vanilla when my foster had to gain 15 lbs. Just start with a small amount to make sure she doesn't get the Big D. Then if it is fine, I gave a can a day in addition to the regular feeding.

Guest greylovinpair

FYI: Carnation instant breakfast is generally the same as Ensure or Boost and it costs a whole lot less--just use the powdered kind and make it with whole milk or even half and half. I would make oatmeal using this when I was trying to help my bridge girl gain weight...the oatmeal helps because it's fiber so there's not so much of the Big D.

FYI: Carnation instant breakfast is generally the same as Ensure or Boost and it costs a whole lot less--just use the powdered kind and make it with whole milk or even half and half. I would make oatmeal using this when I was trying to help my bridge girl gain weight...the oatmeal helps because it's fiber so there's not so much of the Big D.

Cool, I wil try that. I didn't want to buy a case of the ensure and they didn't sell it in singles

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17