Putting Under To Microchip?

Guest greyhound_mommy

Guest ishapespace

No unnessecary (however you spell it :P ) anesthesia - mine were both awake for their chipping. Anna let out a small yelp and Berry White never even flinched!

I agree w/everyone else. IMO it does NOT warrant the risk of putting your dog under. Riley didn't even make a peep when he got his done. My 2 iggies got theirs when they were neutered, but they are much smaller. I think it is important for all dogs to be microchipped, so if your dog has no reason to go under anesthesia anytime soon, I would just get it done.

I volunteer at a Humane Society and we microchip all the dogs before adoption. It only takes a few seconds and I have only a few even make a sound. I definately wouldn't risk General Anesthesia.

Lynn mom to:Roper(Roper is Here),Josie the Australian Cattle Dog mix, Lacey the Corgi mix, Allie the cat and 2 skin kids and at the bridge Bailey (AA's Bailey), Snickers(Jax Snickers) , Sabrina the Collie and Sadie the Border Collie mix.

Guest jettcricket
Neither of my two so much as flinched.

Mine neither. I wouldn't let him put my dogs under for such a simple procedure.

I do the microchipping for our group, and most dogs barely even notice. If one is going to make a fuss, it's always the big boys :lol

It's a good size needle, but it only takes a second. Even the ones who make a fuss are over it as soon as the needle is out. The big thing is having someone who knows how to hold them when it's being done so they don't squirm around or pull the needle out before the chip is in.

The needle used on dogs / cats is the same one used on birds. I don't think I'd trust anyone but the avian vet to stick one of those suckers in my cockatiel, and I've given the birds shots before!!!

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest grey_dreams
... the second screamed and rolled around and struggled.

Maybe the needle hit a nerve, or entered the muscle just as it was contracting and got caught? If the needle tip is at all uneven or barbed in some way, that's going to be particularly painful, especially with a large-bore needle. Or if they insert the needle slowly into a contracting muscle instead of a quick hard jab. I've had one really bad (and memorable) injection too - not because the injection itself was bad, but because of the tech's (lack of) technique.

When Brandy and John E were done, neither flinched at all. It was over in a second.

At Gettysburg, the dogs were lined up waiting for chipping and one after another was screaming. We couldn't figure out what was going on.

Some dogs scream when you clip their nails. I guess the same goes for micro chipping.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Next time you are in the clinic... ask to see the size of the needle used for microchipping. It is NOT small and nothing like an immunization!!! Does the chip warrant general anesthesia? No... I wouldn't say that. But I wouldn't play it off like it was nothing either. I personally wouldn't chip my dog awake. I'd simply wait until they were out for some procedure and do it then. If it were an emergency and I couldn't wait... then I would use some sort of local anesthetic to ease the discomfort.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Yes - it is a big needle! We had Rainy Microchipped last month. We were going to have her done at GIG, but after she got her CgC there :D, I couldn't see "rewarding" her by getting a big needle. Guess it's a good thing we didn't go to the Microchipping clinic at GIG .... If I would have heard dog after dog screaming, I wouldn't have let anyone get near Rainy.

We waited until our yearly vet checkup/shot appointment - and Rainy didn't even flinch when my vet put the needle in. It was uneventful - thank goodness! Perhaps who is at the end of the needle makes a BIG difference ... inserted quick and correctly, it must not be as painful.

If I would have waitied until Rainy had to be put under for something - it might have been years before she was able to be chipped.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I have never heard of that. My adoption agency does the chipping right in front of you and I don't remember my dogs even flinching.

To risk anethesia for a pinch, I don't think so. I'd have your dog chipped elsewhere. IMHO.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 2Greys2luv
Couple of things to consider: Leaving aside the health risks (every GA carries health risks), does this vet REALLY think that being left at the vet, restrained, injected, put under and coming round feeling woozy in a strange place and then having to wait to be collected - sometimes for hours - does he really think this is less stressful than a momentary spasm of pain?

Secondly, if he really DOES believe that the procedure is significantly painful, why not just use a local anaesthetic?

I'm with you! I've had GA and it's awful!

Guest MountainHounds

All of mine have been chipped by my adoption group. In fact, I held Kamin while he had his done and my whiny dramatic boy let out a single yelp and that was it. I don't doubt that it was painful, it is a huge needle (even bigger than the one they use when he donates blood and my eyes about popped out of my head when I first saw that one it was so big), but after it was done and I used a few cookies to get rid of the "why did you let them hurt me?" look in his eyes he was fine. OTOH, he had GA for his dental a couple of weeks ago and whined and panted and paced for hours afterwards. I would talk to your vet and see if he would be willing to just use a local instead.

We would micro chip dogs and cats when they were put under only if they were having something else done at the same time. spay, neuter, dental. We never put them under just to do micro chipping.

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest karma98104

Never heard of that! I've seen all three of mine done while awake, and it was FAR less traumatizing than clipping toenails.. it was no big deal and it's done in like 2 seconds. I don't even think that it was sensitive to touch afterwards. Putting a dog under is so stressfull for their bodies and mental state- I think it'd be far worse than chip!!!

FYI- the animal shelter near you probably does it for $15.00 or so...

Guest gretzky

We just had it done at a local vets pet fair. There was a Lab and a Golden in front of us and a 4 month old Pom behind us in line. None of the dogs made a sound. Wonder was more upset about her back nails being done.

Guest chigal950

My vet is reluctant to do the chip while they are awake because its a big needle.

He did it for my Caden whos a real mellow fellow; but Molly's pretty spooky and he really didn't want to do her. We have to wait until she is under for something, like her next teeth cleaning. So we wait.

Guest longdogs

It's a large needle that must look worse than it is because it didn't raise a whimper from the greys, or grom our three cats, which are obviously much smaller. The risk from the microchip injection is minimal, the risk from ANY total anesthetic is very real. I think putting them under unnecessarily is a very bad idea.

All of my critters have been microchipped while awake. They flinched but it was no real biggie. The kitten actually made the least fuss of any of them.

Unless they were already under for something else, I wouldn't chance anesthesia for it. It stings but it's over in a few seconds and they've forgotten about it in a few more seconds. If your vet is very concerned about it, maybe a little bit of benzocaine or other topical anesthetic to take the sting out?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg