Put A Sock On It!

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Ok...Otis has an infection between two of his back toes....it almost gets cleared up and then he manages to hide somewhere and lick away at it.

This has been going on for two months and I have every medicine east of the Mississippi to treat it with....so I took him into the Vet tonight and she said...."put a sock on his foot...so he cant get at it."

How the he** do you get a sock to stay up......she gave me some sticky bandage material..but after a dozen steps his sock is falling off!!

Any tricks or any other thing to keep his foot covered??

DESPERATE :french :french

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Get a long sock :) pull it all the way up as high as it will go. Starting from about mid-sock, tape over it with vetwrap (wrap it firmly, but don't pull it too taught, you don't want to stop circulation) and go over the hock and a bit up the femur. Use some medical tape to secure the top of the vetwrap. Note: when using medical tape, getting it *off* can be a problem. When you get ready to remove it, use some oil to loosen the adhesive. That's how I'd do it, anyway. Hope it makes sense. Better yet, maybe someone will chime in with a better idea :)

You can always muzzle with poop guard...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Get a long sock :) pull it all the way up as high as it will go. Starting from about mid-sock, tape over it with vetwrap (wrap it firmly, but don't pull it too taught, you don't want to stop circulation) and go over the hock and a bit up the femur. Use some medical tape to secure the top of the vetwrap. Note: when using medical tape, getting it *off* can be a problem. When you get ready to remove it, use some oil to loosen the adhesive. That's how I'd do it, anyway. Hope it makes sense. Better yet, maybe someone will chime in with a better idea :)

You can always muzzle with poop guard...

Ditto. The only way to get the sock to stay in place is using vet wrap. Tape isn't strong enough to hold the sock up; but firming wrapped with vet wrap is your best bet.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Could I suggest Velcro? If you just use the side with the little loops it should stick to the sock and you could wrap it as tight as needed....and it wouldn't need to stick to your dogs leg at all.

I'd imagine that you'll need to change the sock frequently to keep it dry and velco might be a solution. Just another idea...hope something works.

Guess a garter belt would be out of the question? :):)

Patti

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest WarmheartedPups
Could I suggest Velcro? If you just use the side with the little loops it should stick to the sock and you could wrap it as tight as needed....and it wouldn't need to stick to your dogs leg at all.

I'd imagine that you'll need to change the sock frequently to keep it dry and velco might be a solution. Just another idea...hope something works.

Guess a garter belt would be out of the question? :):)

Patti

"Guess a garter belt would be out of the question? :):) "

:rofl :rofl

Guest CocktailGirl

Have you tried using a regualar Ace Bandage. I use these all the time after putting socks and then taping bags over feet to keep an injury dry I then wrap up the top of the sock and bag with the Ace bandage. I use the one that doesn't need the metal tabs to hold it in place and then just tuck the end into a section on the wrap. I also do this because I realised that the wrap is water resistant so that make it great for keeping water from leaking into a wrapped foot,

Buy some greyhound boots. That is what I did for Dylan when he cut his foot a few years ago. He worn the boots for about a week in the house and for about a month when he went outside in the yard.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Not sure if you can tell from this picture how I have this wrapped...but it might give you a better idea.

Patti

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

No experience of this but is the plastic bag part just for outside? I would think the foot wrapped up and inside plastic would 'sweat' and delay healing. Wouldn't you need to cover with something breathable to allow air circulation to the wound for more speedy healing?

Sue from England

Guest savvyprchick

For going outside, get the Glad Press n' Seal wrap. It stays up and stays waterproof. :) I thought of this once when I was out of plastic baggies... it works soooooooooooo much better than them!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I use a long sock and tape over the sock and above the hock. The tape is not tight, but a little too small to slip over the hock.

I use athletic tape and haven't had a problem with it coming off. I've used this method many times. To go outside when wet,

I have an old IV bag with the top cut off. I put that over the sock with a rubber band and remove it when they come in.

Guest BugsBunny

Try a Mikka dog boot ( or moon boot is another name for them). They can be worn over a dressing or just place on the floot to protect it from avid lickers, dirt and rain. They are not so tight.snug as a normal dog shoe and let the foot/injury breath so it heals quicker. My Freckles wore one for weeks when she cut her foot on some glass left in the park. DH called it her disco boot as they are silver in colour.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dep...&pf_id=3972

Shadow is going through the same thing. He's got a cut in between his toes as well. I just put a baby sock on him (Old Navy ones are great - cheap and have rubber on the soles to keep from slipping on wood floors). I just put a band of tape (on the sock only - no fur) just above his main paw pad and fold the sock over the tape. Because his paw pad sticks out it keeps the sock up, and because it's only covering his foot, it doesn't bother him at all. I put a baggie on it for going outside.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest WarmheartedPups
Shadow is going through the same thing. He's got a cut in between his toes as well. I just put a baby sock on him (Old Navy ones are great - cheap and have rubber on the soles to keep from slipping on wood floors). I just put a band of tape (on the sock only - no fur) just above his main paw pad and fold the sock over the tape. Because his paw pad sticks out it keeps the sock up, and because it's only covering his foot, it doesn't bother him at all. I put a baggie on it for going outside.

What do you mean....."his paw pad sticks out of it/" I am not seeing this?? :unsure

What do you mean....."his paw pad sticks out of it/" I am not seeing this?? :unsure

So it only covers his toes? Hes got a pad on each toe and one in the middle....is it the one in the

middle that sticks out? I dont get it

I think I get this: the paw widens at the pads, so it keeps the sock from slipping down, NOT that the pad itself is uncovered by the sock.

That's sort of how I made my homemade booties for Wabi: Baby sock, painted with rubber goo from the hardware store (it's used to coat tool handles or whatever). Placed on the foot, I then wrapped a strip of fleece (soft and stretchy, and cheap since I had it lying around) around just above the widest part of her foot, tied it in a bow (easy to get off), and folded the cuff of the sock over the bow so it didn't flop around or get untied. Voila: cheap, sticky enough to walk on slippery floors, waterproof at least on the painted parts, and durable enough to take a walk in once you get the size of the painted area worked out. Looks like a ballet slipper and bobby sox! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I think I get this: the paw widens at the pads, so it keeps the sock from slipping down, NOT that the pad itself is uncovered by the sock.

That's sort of how I made my homemade booties for Wabi: Baby sock, painted with rubber goo from the hardware store (it's used to coat tool handles or whatever). Placed on the foot, I then wrapped a strip of fleece (soft and stretchy, and cheap since I had it lying around) around just above the widest part of her foot, tied it in a bow (easy to get off), and folded the cuff of the sock over the bow so it didn't flop around or get untied. Voila: cheap, sticky enough to walk on slippery floors, waterproof at least on the painted parts, and durable enough to take a walk in once you get the size of the painted area worked out. Looks like a ballet slipper and bobby sox! :lol

Xan's got it right. The pad (the middle one) doesn't stick out of the sock. It's covered, but sticks out enough to act as a stopper to keep the sock from slipping off without it having to be wrapped a million times and without it being too tight.

Sorry that I'm not very clear. It all made sense in my head :rolleyes:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest WarmheartedPups

Xan's got it right. The pad (the middle one) doesn't stick out of the sock. It's covered, but sticks out enough to act as a stopper to keep the sock from slipping off without it having to be wrapped a million times and without it being too tight.

Sorry that I'm not very clear. It all made sense in my head :rolleyes:

OK I am REALLY DUMB...but...I DONT GET IT!! :headwall :headwall :arpr

Guest cathyem

Just put a muzzle with a poop cup on him. That's what kept Grady from licking his stitches on a back foot. When he was with us he didn't have to wear it but at night or if we were gone, on it went.

Guest sheila

another idea is to take a pr of kid sized tights and cut one leg out. Put a sock on and then the one legged tights over it and around his hips. You may need to do a little cutting to make sure his hoo hoo is clear of the tights and make an adjustment for the tail.

What she's doing is taping the sock just above the foot, not high on the ankle.

On a back leg, to get a bandage to stay up without using adhesive tape on the fur, you have to vetwrap (or blue masking tape -- great stuff) either just above the foot or above the hock. Anyplace else, it'll slide down because of the taper of the dog's leg.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.