Put A Sock On It!

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am definitely flunking "leg bandaging"

I put on a bandage and within 10 minutes its flopping and then falling off his foot.

I got the little socks...I have Vet wrap. I wrap the foot over the sock with the vet wrap....I go up the leg and it falls off everytime.

Maybe I am afraid to wrap too tight...the Vet drilled that into my head.

Am I being overly cautious to say "It would make me nervous to leave Otis with this muzzle on with the poop guard"......it just doesnt seem like he gets enough air....his nose is scrunched right up against the end...and thats with the guard on the outside. What if he got sick to his stomach....

If I am being overly protective....neurotic.....just tell me :youcrazy

Plus...his cut is NOT getting any better...in fact it looks worse and Otis has not taken one lick in four days....i think the medicine is irritating his foot.....and I wonder about keeping it bandaged

with no air? I can tell there is another vet visit brewing!!

Two things:

When his muzzle is on, his nose shouldn't be scrunched up against the end all the time. You should be able to put @ 2 fingers width between the top of his neck and the muzzle strap.

When I sock, I put the vetwrap just around the ankle. An alternative, depending on where the cut/sore spot is, is to bandage the foot leaving the tips of the two middle toes visible. That way you can see very easily if the bandage gets too tight.

Foot things can take quite awhile to heal. If it doesn't look goopy/swollen, then it's probably just going to take some time. Best luck!

P.S. I'm at work, therefore limited in abilities :lol , but here is a photo of Joseph wearing a sock on his back foot. The stuff around his ankle is vetwrap / coflex (kinda rubbery stuff that sticks to itself but not to anything else).

Noseroach_cpr.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WarmheartedPups
Two things:

When his muzzle is on, his nose shouldn't be scrunched up against the end all the time. You should be able to put @ 2 fingers width between the top of his neck and the muzzle strap.

When I sock, I put the vetwrap just around the ankle. An alternative, depending on where the cut/sore spot is, is to bandage the foot leaving the tips of the two middle toes visible. That way you can see very easily if the bandage gets too tight.

Foot things can take quite awhile to heal. If it doesn't look goopy/swollen, then it's probably just going to take some time. Best luck!

P.S. I'm at work, therefore limited in abilities :lol , but here is a photo of Joseph wearing a sock on his back foot. The stuff around his ankle is vetwrap / coflex (kinda rubbery stuff that sticks to itself but not to anything else).

Noseroach_cpr.jpg

Thanks! That picture is reassuring....it is what I am doing....I must be just doing it too loose....I will tighten it abit.

About the muzzle.....the neck strap was made longer for Otis....its loose...definitely get 2 fingers between neck and strap...and his nose is still at the end of the muzzle....its weird...it just must be the shape of his face or how it sits

on him. I look at my other pup and her muzzle fits fine...a little room at the end so her nose isnt bopping the end.

So would you leave your pet alone with the poop cup on the muzzle?

The toes just look fiery red...irritated....no sores...no goop...no swelling.

If he isn't pestering it and his muzzle doesn't fit that well, I probably wouldn't muzzle. Or I'd take the poop cup out and cross my fingers.

You've probably already been there, done that ... but just in case ... when B had red itchy feet it turned out to be a food allergy (to fish/fish oil). Darnedest thing. Nobody suspected allergy because it was just his back feet that were red and itchy, not front feet, not anything else. We discovered the allergy by accident. Until we figured that out, the thing that did help him was Genesys spray. You can get it from your vet. IIRC it was @ $20 for a bottle that I'll probably never finish.

ETA: I'm saying "feet" above but it was really just the one foot. The other one *looked* a little reddish sometimes but not like the bad one, and IIRC he only picked at the one.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WarmheartedPups
If he isn't pestering it and his muzzle doesn't fit that well, I probably wouldn't muzzle. Or I'd take the poop cup out and cross my fingers.

You've probably already been there, done that ... but just in case ... when B had red itchy feet it turned out to be a food allergy (to fish/fish oil). Darnedest thing. Nobody suspected allergy because it was just his back feet that were red and itchy, not front feet, not anything else. We discovered the allergy by accident. Until we figured that out, the thing that did help him was Genesys spray. You can get it from your vet. IIRC it was @ $20 for a bottle that I'll probably never finish.

ETA: I'm saying "feet" above but it was really just the one foot. The other one *looked* a little reddish sometimes but not like the bad one, and IIRC he only picked at the one.

Yes, tried the muzzle w/o the poop cup......he just worked that little tongue and got to the toes!!

I have Genesys .....we tried that about 3 weeks ago. I may go back to it....cause the antibiotic cream now is not working.

I dont think it is a food allergy. Its just between two toes......He was running about 6 weeks ago and cut/scratched between his toes and its never healed.

Grrr.....I have some antiseptic shampoo, maybe soak it and then spray the Genesys.

Thanks for ALL the tips!

Guest snakes

I used a winter 'boot' that i normalyl use for the winters salty roads.

PetCo had a little baggie fo 4 for $6.

Its basically a fleecy sock with a faux leather patch on the bottom and velcro around the ankle. the velcro is attached to the bootie and is elastic, so it stays on reasonably well until they try to run in snow!

I used it when my girl got a bad cut that wouldn't heal between two of her toes last summer.

They only seem to have the medium size online right now, but you can get the idea form the picture.

http://www.petco.com/product/8250/Dickens-...eece-Boots.aspx