Sport Varnberg ( Founder Of G A F)

Guest PhillyPups

Guest PhillyPups

It is with greyt sadness that post this. I just talked to Marilyn who wanted me to let you all know her beloved 15 year old Sport joined Bob and Babe and the crowd of others that rooed him over the bridge. Sport was the founding father of GAF, their first greyhound, who as a result of him racing into their hearts GAF became.

I had the honor of meeting Sport last weekend, he was old, he was frail, he was proud, he was stunning, and boy did he love his Mama. It brought tears to my eyes to see this frail old man wag his tail with the energy of a pup at his Mama. I was amazed, as he had kidney failure and Marilyn gave him fluids, she would walk up to him, wave her finger, he would get up, follow her, and let her give him the IV fluids.

Marilyn and I were talking of the impact that Runner had on me and Sport on her. She said all they were going to do was go to brunch, met Sport, and never looked back. WOW Sport you did a lot of work for your brothers and sisters.

Sport, I love you and miss you, what a legacy you gave to all the hounds in need. You have left your pawprint on many hearts. Know your Mama will always miss you. You have no idea of the job you did here on earth with GAF and the friendships that have developed as a result of you picking your Mama and Daddy.

GAF lost three greyhounds this past week. Too many gone, but none will ever be forgotten.

My heart is broken for Marilyn.

This picture was taken the morning of 6/17/07, on his favorite bed, before he got so sick.

Sport2.jpg

Edited by PhillyPups

Godspeed Sport :wub: I will miss seeing your magnificent self when I visit your Momma. So many owe you a debt of gratitude. If it wasn't for you, Bob and Marilyn may not have gone in the direction they did.

Sport lived the life many would envy - he was a Varnberg hound.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

OMG! I can't believe Sport is gone!

Poor Marilyn... how hard this must be for her...

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest wmlcml6

:cry1:cry1:cry1

Rest in peace, Sport. You were well loved by many, and greyhounds all over the country thank you for beginning Marilyn and Bob's love of greyhounds. You started something very special, Mr. Man. I'm so glad I got to love on you one last time when I visited last Saturday. I know you were tired, but I bet you knew Marilyn needed you just a little while longer.

Oh Marilyn. I am so sorry. So much loss.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This has been one hell of a week on this board. I am so sorry for Marilyn. The only consolation is that Bob and Sport and together again.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest judechet

I have known Sport for three years. He is so special in so many ways. He brought so much love to Marilyn and Bob and was so loved in return. I am sure he is resting in Bob's arms right now. Godspeed, little friend!

Guest greytfulhounds

OH NO!!!!!!! :weep I got to meet Sport last year when I went down to the farm on a GUR. I was just talking to Marilyn on Monday and Sport was in the background letting her know he wanted his dinner. This is just too, too sad!

R.I.P Sport Varnberg........you opened the door for so many.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest GiJenn51

Oh Marilyn. God has pressed on your shoulders these past few months. :cry1 :cry1 I'm so very sorry to hear about Sport. Please know that you are in my prayers.

Run with the wind Sport. I'm' sure Bob is already showing you the ropes. :gh_run

:cry1f_yellow

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Oh man.... That's so horrible for her... Please send her a :grouphug from me...

Godspeed Sport! Heaven needed a new angel!