Saullie Broke His Leg Need Advice

saullie broke is leg- not sure how he did it. the surgeron said it looks like he was hit with a hammer that is how bad it was.

at first our vet and surgeron said at his age almost 11 it probably is cancer but thank g-d during the surgery he said it was clear. he took a biospy just to be sure but he doesn't think it is

ok now for the advice- he has a rod and pins etc-must have rest and be leash walked for at least 6 weeks, confined etc.

we were supposed to go away for a week in 3 weeks not sure if we are going a good friend said she will watch him and walk him she has had greys for over 15 years i digress

ok now for the advice needed. what supplements would you suggest to give him.

i was giving him glucosime etc but stopped as where i was getting it from human grade got it from china and with all that is going on with chinese importants i am paranoid about using it.

so suggestions for brands of supplements etc

he broke it friday had surgery yesterday and will be home tuesday

Iris

www.ligc.org

Ack. No advice, just hugs and prayers for easy healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

I use Get Up & Go from Claudia at greyhoundgang.com . I have a plate and 6 screws in my leg, and just want you to know that with the hardware, although it has healed for a couple of years, I do feel strenuous exercise and weather changes. The cold weather is the words. :bighug to you and Saulie.

Iris, so sorry to hear about Saul! Hope he recovers quickly.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

i started giving loca get up and go when she broke her leg. i pick up enough to last a year at dewey every year. hope saulie feels better soon!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor baby...I hope it heals well.

I like Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime. http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/88/2

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LynnM

For now, don't worry about supplements. Just concentrate on keeping her relaxed and comfortable. Since she is going to be very inactive (preferably on crate rest) for a while, keep an eye on her weight. You may have to cut back on her feed a little bit. Don't be afraid to medicate for pain. A pain-free dog will stress/fret less and heal more quickly. NSAIDs like Rimadyl, Metacam or Deramaxx are all available from your vet and can be combined with Tramadol if needed for very effective pain control. A muscle relaxant like Robaxin is also helpful to keep around, since these dogs' backs can really get knotted up as they learn to "3-leg" their way around. Muscle spasms are no fun!

Once she is out of her splint, glucosamine/chondroitin is fine- any of the brand-name or private label supplements that you would buy for humans will be fine for dogs.

If she wasn't a very active dog before her break, you will want to make contact with a vet that has training in physical therapy/rehab. It may take some work to get something approaching normal use in the leg if she wasn't a very strong dog before the injury. There are a lot of exercises that you can learn to do at home that don't require expensive equipment or special training on the part of the dog. You just need to learn how to do them. Try to scope out a lake or a friend with a swimming pool. Swimming is one of the best ways to get a dog moving again. You have an advantage being up north- you can find a lake without alligators!

Best of luck!

Lynn

I am so sorry to hear about your baby's broken leg....what a stressful situation.

I'm curious - does your house have any stairs puppy may have slipped on? I ask b/c our dobie once injured himself so badly that our vet said it looked like the inside of his thighs, including his testaticles, looked like he had been beaten with a baseball bat. The dog hadn't been out of our sight for ten days except in the house (at times).

We concluded, the dobie had injured himself on our tiled stairs...

we have carpeted stairs but he has pannus and he might have fallen down the stairs

we will never know the vet said the same thing it looked like he was hit with a baseball bat

thanks for caring

Edited by cowpantslady

Iris

www.ligc.org

OMG-- I just read this. I've been so busy with Beau's leg and set backs that I hadn't been on Health & MEdical.

I am soooooooooooo sorry to hear about poor Saulie. I really really feel your pain. Hope his recovery is quick and painfree for him.

We too are on only leash walks, which we did anyway, it's just we can't put him out back for a "quickie" anymore. Saul will bounce back quicker than you think. Alow him to pace himself. With Beau, after 10 days he was back to 3/4 mile 3-4 times a day with cast and all.

Prayers for a fast recovery. Yeesh, it's always something.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project