Imha - Possibly Kicked Off By Babesia

Guest Mygreytgirls

Guest Mygreytgirls

PCV is at 16. No transfusion just yet as she actually didn't drop much since the transfusion last week. She was at 17 after the transfusion. I know, WAY too low. She gained 10 pounds in a week. That's the bad news. She's retaining fluid. For some reason, they didn't think the swollen paws and legs were related to that. She was put on lasix and a drug for her liver. Turns out that drug does have milk thistle in it (or was derived from it...). They're checking proteins and we're waiting for results right now. The big fear is that she can no longer tolerate the steroids. If that's the case, then I don't think we have any more chances. She's such a trooper. Her ears still perk up for anything from seeing me to mentioning the word "ride".

Ellen

Guest Mygreytgirls

I wish! She's away on vacation though. The swelling is down some today. Even in her paws, which the vet thought was not fluid retention. My e-vet is back on Monday (he's away too) and apparently is calling in today. I'm anxious to hear his thoughts!

Ellen

Just reading this thread now. Just wanted to chime in that I'm thinking of you and wishing your girl the best as well. You really are both troopers and I hope there's a happy outcome.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Mygreytgirls

My regular e-vet (this is sad that I now have a 'regular' e-vet) called in from his vacation and apparently has more up his sleeve! He's taking her off the dexamethasone (4 mg 3x/day currently) and putting her on an even stronger steroid. He's also increasing the Cellcept to 600 mg 2x/day (doubling) and starting a vasculitis drug too. They were VERY happy to hear some of the swelling went down. Also starting a baby aspirin. We go tomorrow morning for a recheck instead of waiting until Monday. They can give her oxyglobin tomorrow if needed.

Guest Mygreytgirls

Sad news. We went for our check on Friday and she was down to a PCV of 14. Even with the Oxyglobin, that would only buy her 2 days. She couldn't get another whole blood transfusion so close to the last one. She was being so aggresively treated with meds with no sign of response. We made the painful decision to end her suffering on Friday. Even if she made it to the holistic vet, that person would have needed to work a miracle.

That morning, she was so exicited as always to go for a ride to take my youngest to daycare. For her last few days, we had to lift her in and out of the car. That didn't seem to deter her from those rides! I with we could have helped her enjoy more time in retirement, but it just wasn't meant to be. She was only 4 and lived with us for the past 9 months. While the past 2 1/2 months have been difficult, it worth it as there was a chance that she could turn around. IMHA is a horrible disease to go through. Waiting for her body to stop destroying itself was the worst part as you never knew when that was going to happen. I kept reading success stories on the Meisha's Hope web site and talking with others that survived it. That kept me hoping until the very end.

Thanks for all of your ideas, well wishes and prayers.

Ellen

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, little girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. :f_pink

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest mandm

I'm so sorry. You and her fought gallantly and you did everything you could for her. Of course you had to, because she would have done the same for you.

Guest PhillyPups
:bighug I am so sorry for your loss. You tried all you could, and you were both fighters through this. Run pain free with the angels sweet baby.