Tiger Has Gone To The Bridge

Guest IndysDad

Guest IndysDad

First, I'd like to say Thank You to everyone for your kind words and thoughts for our Bridge boy,Tiger ; your support helped us through a very difficult time...I apologise for not updating sooner, but I just can't tell you how many times I would come into the computer room, turn on the machine,log on to GT and try to put thoughts into words...I just couldn't get my fingers to work....

Our Greytalk family and Greyhound people are the finest and best friends on earth... Thank You again!!

Now for " A Tigers Tale"

We only had Tiger for a little over a year; he came to us in March 2005. There had been several threads about the joys of adopting Senior dogs and how difficult it was to place Senior black males...well, whattayaknow...one day while looking at an adoption gruops available hounds, Tigers picture popped up along with some info about him....it seemed his ex owners decided they wanted a Lab puppy and called this group to come pick him up or they would take him to the ASPCA..a couple went to get him...he came with nothing, no food, no blanket, no lead,no bed, no toys or stuffies..just the ratty track collar that came with him when he was adopted...did I mention he was 10 when he was bounced out of his home??

Any way, the adoption group made sure he was up to date on his vaccinatiions, had a dental and had a small cyst removed from his head and RedsMommy(Annie) and her DH (Dom) did a fantastic job of fostering him...as I said, I saw Tigers pic on the groups' website and made arrangements to "foster with intent", hoping he would get along with Indy and Zadie...I really don't think there was any "with intent" in his mind...when I went to pick him up, he jumped into the back of the Mountaineer and looked at me as if to say "Let's go Home!!".when we returned home, Tiger met his new brother and sister...it was like he had been here all of his life and was coming back from a visit somewhere...every one got along fine...

He fit in perfectly, even to the point of sleeping on the couch, sleeping in bed with us and being sure to take my spot if I got up in the middle of the night and tried to come back to bed..one night last Winter, we had a real cold snap; I woke up in the middle of the night, paralyzed from the neck down..my first thoughts were "OMG, I had a stroke!!"...wrongo...Tiger decided to keep himself warm by laying on top of me with his right front and rear legs straddling me and his head and neck across my neck...gently snoring away in a true Greyhound deep sleep...I was finally able to move an hour later :P

Tig was a black tuxedo boy, with white toes and a white tip on his tail...with a lot of white on his face and chest, some white hairs mixed in on his neck and back...very distinguished looking IMHO...I think he was a 4 year old trapped in an 11 year old body :) his tail was a lethal weapon; he couldn't helicopter it, but he could sweep it back and forth in a 270 degree arc..he carried it "gayly" that is, it was always carried up and waving back and forth, no matter what.

He also had this unique way of "prancing" when he got something he wanted or was able to con me out of an extra treat...his rear would move normally, his front feet would prance and his head would go back and forth..I don't think he could conceal his joy for life or getting something he wanted...I'm going to miss that...

We had an occasional accident in the house when I was at work..I usually work from 9:00 till 1:;30 ..I think he may have had a touch of separation anxiety...I made it a point of telling him I loved him and would always come back for him everyday...it seemed to help with the accidents...I also would tell him how proud I was of him every day and what a good job he was doing taking care of his Mom and Dad, he really liked that..you could almost see him puff out his chest as if to say "I have some one who loves ME just the way I am!!"...I miss that too...Tiger hadn't been feeling to good the last couple of days before he went to The Bridge..he was sleeping a lot, occasionally eating some grass and throwing it up in the dog room...On April 5th, I got up, made the puppers beakfast, fed them and noticed Tiger was playing with Zadie and eating a little gras...when I left for work, every one got a "breath mint", I told them I loved them very much and I was so very proud of them,,,off I went... I expected to come home to some grass in the dog room (a favorite spot) and all the puppers would be fine...

When I returned home, I was greeted by Indy and Zadie, who seemed a little off, perhaps of the grass in the dog room...I put them out and called for Tiger, sometimes he would be sleeping...he didn't come; I was on my way back to our bedroom to see if he was still asleep, I looked in the computer room and there he was, laying on his chest, his rear legs curled to his left side, his front legs slightly splayed and his head was down..I called his name, no response..I walked over to him and didn't see him breathing....I looked again and knew he was gone; I tried to resusitate him, but it was too late...

He is my heart dog, my best friend; he gave me a reason to keep going through some very difficult times last year...I really regret not being there for him and being able to say goodbye and Godspeed.

I know he made it to The Bridge...we took him for his last ride to The Pines, a pet cemetary in Lebanon, where he was cremated...we went to The Pines at 5:15 PM April 5th; I got up at about 5:00 AM the next day and was sitting in a chair in the bedroom, thinking how quiet the house was..it was totally silent,like the silence when your power goes out... when at precisely 5:15 AM, I heard his oh so unique bark...it was his "hey, I'm here!!" bark, just one to let me know he had made it to The Bridge...I felt at peace hearing him once more....

I know he has visited us since his passing; Indy and Zadie will stop and look at something moving around the house I/we can't see...I'm sure it's Tiger checking in...

Thank you for letting me ramble on about my best friend, I'm going to post a pic or 2 in the next few days..

Tiger my friend, Godspeed till we meet at The Bridge.

I know when the time is right, you will send us another Senior to love and care for...

Edited by IndysDad

Very touching tribute....

I should never read such things at work. I had Rascal taken to The Pines as well. Nice group of people out there. They were very comforting during a difficult time. I felt so much better once I picked him up. I didn't think his ashes would be comforting but they were/are. I hope Tiger's have helped you as well.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

:( I am so sorry. Tiger...you are such a good boy...still watching over your family from the Bridge. Check in often sweetheart...you are so loved and missed. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest TilliesMom

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. Tiger will keep his eye on his family on earth as evidenced by his familar bark out to you. May to take comfort knowing he will always be around you in spirit.

Guest rsqdogsmom

Thank you for sharing your story. I cannot write more as I cannot see the keyboard very well right now. :(

Bless you and your family for loving a senior dog. They are what makes the world better for us knowing them.

God speed ,Tiger.

Edited by rsqdogsmom

I am so touched. I too have a black senior boy who was bounced at 10. He reminds me of your Tiger. He is so thankful to us everyday. I can not tell you how much we love him. I am so touched by your tribute to your boy. What a special home he found in you. He will live on in your heart forever his forever home. Run free you good boy. He knew you loved him with every ounce of your being! God Bless you.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest jeannejj

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like Tiger was a wonderful friend, and he was certainly loved. May your memories bring you joy as your heart heals.

Run free, sweet Tiger.

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

That was a very moving memorial. How lucky he was to have you in his life, to end on a high note of love and caring. How lucky YOU were to have found your heart dog, even so briefly.

Huge hugs to you and your's ...

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

A greyt tribute. :grouphug :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest SweetAbby

WOW !!!! Awesome tribute to a wonderful friend and compainon. I am so sorry that you where not home when Tiger crossed over the bridge but he knows that you love him still.........

Guest greysrun

Thank you for that lovely story about Tiger. I too have a soft spot for the black ones.

Hugs to you, your family, and your puppies.

In a sad way, it was nice that he was able to end his life in the comfort of your home where he knew he was loved. A safe place where he had companions.

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.

St. Francis de Sales

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds