Cancer In Greys - A Study

Burpdog

Guest Merindamike

Hi

I am a newone-so please be gentle.

Is the topic still running and is there any info regarding this?

Our poor greyhound, Alice died of cancer-intially not diagnosed as cancer. She developed a large lump on the externally in the middle of her left rib cage, swelling to the size of a golf ball. Intially believed and abcess or grass seed. Treated with warm water bottle. She had no problems, didnt loose wieght, kept on running, eating and having fun. Then diagnosed as cancer after explaoratory surgery and died on the operating table near the end of her op to remove it.

Sadly missed but lots of photos of her. I have also photos of the swelling if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest BooBooMama

<b>Dr. Couto is now ready for me to complete the second spreadsheet.

If you have not filled it out -- please do so! The more greys included,

the better the study. Let's help our past, present and future greys.</b>

I am gathering information for Dr. Couto (Ohio State University) that

will be used in a study he will begin in approximately 4 months. I

have set up an email account specifically for the information to be

submitted. I will have access as will Dr. Couto. The information is

to be used ONLY for this study or research as decided on by Dr. Couto.

Please -- let's get him as much information as we can on as many

greyhounds as we can. If you know someone who does not have internet

access, print out the form for them and have them snail mail to:

Cancer In Greys, c/o BBC, P. O. Box 721465, Houston, TX 77272

If you want the form in a word document, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

<b>The email for the study is:

canceringreys@gmail.com</b>

Cancer In Greyhounds

Owner’s Name & Address__________________________________________________________________

Email address___________________________________________

Greyhound’s Name________________________________________ Tattoos _________ ___________

How many races did this greyhound race_______________

If there are no tattoos is a pedigree available ? Yes____No_____ If the answer is yes, please submit the pedigree.

Greyhound’s age at adoption__________

Veterinarians’ name(s), address______________________________________________________________

Phone number______________________email address_____________________________________

Age of greyhound when diagnosed___________

Symptoms_______________________________________________________________________________

Diagnosis________________________________________________________________________________

Location of cancer_________________________________________________________________________

Date of diagnosis_________________________

Method of diagnosis______________________________________________________________________

(xray, MRI, biopsy, etc. – list all that apply)

Include the name of the lab and the path accession number for the biopsy_____________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

Treatment(s)_____________________________________________________________________________

(amputation, chemo, radiation, meds, alternative, etc. – list all that apply and names of medications if known; if no treatment please list “none”)

Length of survival after diagnosis and/or treatment______________________________________________

Vaccination History_______________________________________________________________________

Heartworm preventative used, yes or no, and what kind___________________________________________

Topical flea/tick treatment used, yes or no, and what kind__________________________________________

Prescription medications used in the year prior to illness___________________________________________

Supplements used in the year prior to illness_____________________________________________________

Comments:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

I have opted to not put my BooBoo through chemo since the cancer is in her spine. Would Dr. Couto like the details of her cancer? I did not do a biopsy because I want her to be as confortabble as possible these last precious days so maybe my X-rays are not enough data for him. What do you think?

~ Gigi

• 2 months later...
Guest fandogs

I have been very lucky to not have had to deal with cancer in my dogs...

Where can I see/read the results of the study?

I am very interested in finding out what Dr Couto's conclusions are.

• 3 months later...
Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Just submitted my form. We just got diagnosed with a (probably) malignant thyroid tumor. I am choosing not to biopsy, and my vet is not recommending surgery because of the location of the tumor and Saoirse's age. But she said almost all tumors on the thyroid gland are malignant. Hope our information helps.

post-23095-015228600 1289159964_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest Ashleigh

How do you find out how many races your hound ran? We really don't know?

Also, I will fill out the form after Miss Nellie's first chemo treatment because we don't know what type of chemo Dr. Couto will be using?

If you know the year your hound was born, their racing name, and the country they were born in, you can get all their stats at www.greyhound data.com. It will even give you their lineage!

• 8 months later...
Guest 2magicracers

We will fill out the form and get it right off. My girl is a 11 month OS survivor! She is 12 1/2 and her name is Tinkerbelle ie the "Black Queen"!!

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi

My girl was 11 years old this September. Diagnosed with SLO in March this year. Lost 5 nails before diagnosis then vets removed all remaining nails bar 2. She was on high dosage fish oils, vitamin E and also glucosamine. Intermittent lameness which was put down to the SLO. Today, after 2 weeks of lameness getting worse and pain killers and antiinflammatory medication (metacam + tramadol) she was xrayed and euthanaised due to cancer of the long bone spreading into her hip. Was the SLO and cancer related or just one of those things that life throws at you?

Would be interested in any replies.

Jan

• 3 months later...
Guest dockellogg

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup :(

I doubt the SLO and OSA were related. SLO isn't a risk known risk factor for OSA per the data (nor the other way around).

Christine Kellogg, MS, DVM

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup :(

I doubt the SLO and OSA were related. SLO isn't a risk known risk factor for OSA per the data (nor the other way around).

Christine Kellogg, MS, DVM

Totally OT, but so happy to see you here :D

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 11 months later...
Guest Allyson

QUOTE(Burpdog @ Nov 14 2005, 10:48 AM) 1749612[/snapback]
I am gathering information for Dr. Couto (Ohio State University) that

will be used in a study he will begin in approximately 4 months. I

have set up an email account specifically for the information to be

submitted. I will have access as will Dr. Couto. The information is

to be used ONLY for this study or research as decided on by Dr. Couto.

Please -- let's get him as much information as we can on as many

greyhounds as we can. If you know someone who does not have internet

access, print out the form for them and have them snail mail to:

Cancer In Greys, c/o BBC, P. O. Box 721465, Houston, TX 77272

If you want the form in a word document, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

The email for the study is:

canceringreys@gmail.com

Cancer In Greyhounds

Owner’s Name & Address__________________________________________________________________

Email address___________________________________________

Greyhound’s Name________________________________________ Tattoos _________ ___________

How many races did this greyhound race_______________

If there are no tattoos is a pedigree available ? Yes____No_____ If the answer is yes, please submit the pedigree.

Greyhound’s age at adoption__________

Veterinarians’ name(s), address______________________________________________________________

Phone number______________________email address_____________________________________

Age of greyhound when diagnosed___________

Symptoms_______________________________________________________________________________

Diagnosis________________________________________________________________________________

Location of cancer_________________________________________________________________________

Date of diagnosis_________________________

Method of diagnosis______________________________________________________________________

(xray, MRI, biopsy, etc. – list all that apply)

Include the name of the lab and the path accession number for the biopsy_____________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

Treatment(s)_____________________________________________________________________________

(amputation, chemo, radiation, meds, alternative, etc. – list all that apply and names of medications if known; if no treatment please list “none”)

Length of survival after diagnosis and/or treatment______________________________________________

Vaccination History_______________________________________________________________________

Heartworm preventative used, yes or no, and what kind___________________________________________

Topical flea/tick treatment used, yes or no, and what kind__________________________________________

Prescription medications used in the year prior to illness___________________________________________

Supplements used in the year prior to illness_____________________________________________________

Comments:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll print this out and send this in. I too lost my greyt to osteo on the spine. It was horrible. I hope this will help save so many more. It's funny, we thought we saved them from racing but I know that we saved our Sara twice before we lost her. Why do these wonderful beauties have to have it so hard??

QUOTE(Lynda @ Dec 31 2005, 11:40 AM) 1843899[/snapback]
I think I filled out a cancer study at the Thera-Paw site. Is this the same study. If not, I'll definately fill this one out too. We lost our little sweethear, Jeff, to cancer of the liver/spleen this month.

I'm so sorry for you. Believe me, I know how you're feeling. We lost our Sara to a tumor on the spine in December. It is hard to stop thinking about it. These poor greyts have it so hard in life but they are so lucky to have been loved by people like you. Good luck to you.

I am so very sorry for your losses. It's so very hard. Can you let me know what procedure you did to find the tumor on the spine? Did your babe have to be anesthetized and get an MRI? Ours has recently been "diagnosed" with either IVDD or LSS, but they said that without an MRI it is not possible to really know. They did say that it could be a tumor. Again, I am so sorry.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to say, I'm back again.

Mimosa Grove, lost to Osteosarcoma left hip 3/3/14, age 10

Mi Ami (Mimi) lost to Osteosarcoma left knee 7/31/15, age 12

Deco Barnett (Bam Bam), age 10, still with us, diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in left shoulder this month. We have not done xrays this time, but our vet is 99% certain it's back again.

Mac's Cher (Cher), age 5, is healthy.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...